All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs

elitefx
join:2011-02-14
London, ON

elitefx to sbrook

to sbrook

Re: [The Call] So, I was on the phone with Rogers...

said by sbrook:

These areas are very expensive to split nodes effectively since it means major replacement of cable plant, and that gets wickedly expensive since it means digging up roads, yards etc. So, I wouldn't call it cheaping out.

You guys make us living in East London feel like we're living on skid row. The only thing buried here is Gas lines. Everything else is hanging off poles. Hydro on the street and telephone/cable poles in the backyards. Running like a rocket since 1946.

sbrook
Mod
join:2001-12-14
Ottawa

sbrook

Mod

Same where I live I have my own dedicated transformer on a pole too! Only hassle is that it's all a little too exposed like that over 15 km from the head end!
34764170 (banned)
join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON

34764170 (banned) to elitefx

to elitefx
said by elitefx:

The only thing buried here is Gas lines. Everything else is hanging off poles. Hydro on the street and telephone/cable poles in the backyards. Running like a rocket since 1946.

Having stuff underground looks nicer. But those are also areas that will likely never see FTTH either unless its a brand new development from here on out and even then that isn't likely.
yyzlhr
join:2012-09-03
Scarborough, ON

yyzlhr

said by 34764170:

said by elitefx:

The only thing buried here is Gas lines. Everything else is hanging off poles. Hydro on the street and telephone/cable poles in the backyards. Running like a rocket since 1946.

Having stuff underground looks nicer. But those are also areas that will likely never see FTTH either unless its a brand new development from here on out and even then that isn't likely.

Aside from new developments, I don't think we'll see FTTH for existing customers in our lifetime on HFC networks. Coax still has a lot of life in it, and there are various technologies to get HFC to offer the same performance as FTTH.
34764170 (banned)
join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON

34764170 (banned)

said by yyzlhr:

Aside from new developments, I don't think we'll see FTTH for existing customers in our lifetime on HFC networks. Coax still has a lot of life in it, and there are various technologies to get HFC to offer the same performance as FTTH.

Rogers is already working on FTTH and not using RGoG/DOCSIS. DOCSIS simply cannot handle the upstream speed they want to offer. I also wasn't talking about only Rogers but also Bell. Both of them will continue to invest heavily into DOCSIS/VDSL2 going forward with DOCIS 3.1 and VDSL2 vectoring but both of them have serious limitations.

eeeaddict
join:2010-02-14

eeeaddict

sadly us Etobicoke people will probably never have ftth