share rss forum feed

BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium
join:2000-01-13
kudos:3
reply to aurgathor

Re: [rant] HDD is not valid

It's not so much the recovery partition, but their bios likely is looking for a special set of partitions which hold it's diagnostics.

Did you buy that splitter? Is there room to cram the old hdd in? Maybe you can do that, and just set the booting drive.
--
I distrust those people who know so well what god wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires- Susan B. Anthony
Yesterday we obeyed kings, and bent our necks before emperors. But today we kneel only to the truth- Kahlil G.

aurgathor

join:2002-12-01
Lynnwood, WA
kudos:1

Since it's a SFF machine, putting the old HD back while the new one and the SSD is still there is likely to be either very difficult, or nigh impossible without creating my own mounting hardware.

I think creating/copying the needed partitions is probably the best option to resolve this.
--
Wacky Races 2012!

BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium
join:2000-01-13
kudos:3

»/r0/download/2···rd01.gif

This is from a newer Dell machine I worked on with a gpt partition for uefi, but I'm actually scared to resize their os drive to add a data partiton as it's not at the end of the drive, they stuck more proprietary crap after the os partition so it would change their order. Note not all the partitions shows up in windows either, and this was taken from a nix live cd.
--
I distrust those people who know so well what god wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires- Susan B. Anthony
Yesterday we obeyed kings, and bent our necks before emperors. But today we kneel only to the truth- Kahlil G.