share rss forum feed

tp3636

join:2013-01-17
Carmel, IN

Uverse Noise & Error Issues

Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
I am having a problem with my Vonage phone cutting out. When running a speed test, my line quality is 85%. I have UV Realtime & it indicates some errors & a noise margin of 11.8. I have previously brought this up to Uverse tech & they said they replaced all the connections inside & out of my house. I seem to still have a problem because the ViOP phone cuts out when there is little/no network traffic on the line. Attached are UV Realtime screen shots. Suggestions?

Paralel

join:2011-03-24
Michigan, US
kudos:4
Did they replace the gateway? Is your NID properly grounded and bonded? Worse comes to worse, you can always ask them to switch pairs/cards in the cabinet, maybe that would help.

Looking at your bit loading graph, it's not horrible, but you def. do have a few areas of minor line noise. The first part of your graph makes me wonder if maybe you have a splice somewhere on your line, since it has that sorta downward step pattern, but if it was a splice I'd expect more of a sine wave kinda pattern throughout, but I'm not seeing that, so it's hard to say.

tp3636

Carmel, IN
Thanks for the response. They replaced the gateway & all the connections in the house. I do have a splitter in the basement. They also moved me around in the cabinet. The only real problem I am having is my vonage is cutting out at times. They are sending me a new gateway to try. Intermittent problems are the worst - especially if there is not a clear indication of a problem. From what you said about the profile & errors are not a clear indication - more ok than good.

Frodo

join:2006-05-05
kudos:1
reply to tp3636
Have you tried putting the Vonage box into the DMZ? Cutoffs can be when the modem is receiving inbound UDP packets and being unaware where to forward them. By putting the Vonage box in the DMZ, all unaccounted traffic will be received by the telephone adapter.

Paralel

join:2011-03-24
Michigan, US
kudos:4

1 edit
reply to tp3636
Well, given your noise margin is so low, your error table is unsurprising. Actually, in all honesty, for nearly a 1/2 year of data, I'd expect your error table to look far worse with that kind of noise margin. Your attenuation & power level are good, but at 1,500 ft, running a 3801 gateway, I'd expect your max rate to be quite a bit higher than that.

If they've done all that, the only other thing I'd check is the NID grounding/bonding. If your ground is faulty, or the ground on your pole/pedestal is bad, that would be a good reason for a noisy line. Is your battery backup hooked into a surge protector? Is it the only piece of equipment on that circuit? Bad surge protectors can introduce quite a bit of noise into a system, and it's possible you could be getting feedback from something else on that circuit if you have anything else running on it. I have seen vast improvements in stability and line noise after a gateway was moved to a dedicated circuit and a good, properly functioning surge protector. Also, anything else nearby that could be putting out EM that is being picked up by the cabling? Motor/generator of some kind, etc...?

I'd also do as Frodo suggested, putting something like a Vonage adapter in the DMZ, directly connected with a hard wire to the switch in the gateway would limit other potential complications. Have you considered your Vonage adapter may have gone to crap? I have seen it happen. You may also want to try a few mundane things, swap the ethernet cable that connects the Vonage adpater to the gateway with a known working one. Swap out the phone cables with ones that are known working, etc...

tp3636

Carmel, IN
reply to tp3636
Thanks for the help & suggestions.

I have them sending a new Vonage adapter. Hopefully that is it.

Great suggestion on the DMZ! I will make sure that device is pass-through.

I am not sure how to check the NID grounding/bonding. Is that something my friends at AT&T do?

Power noise is an interesting thought. Right now it is far from an isolated circuit & I need to check the surge protector. I know I have too many devices on my circuit because the way the house is wired. It may finally be time to call the electrician.

Thanks to both of you for your help.