uniqs
share rss forum feed

silbaco
Premium
join:2009-08-03
USA
reply to anon anon

Re: Netflix Thug like Behavior.

The caps have nothing to do with it. This will still count against caps.

Netflix isn't paying for this bandwidth or at least very little. That is part of the point to this program. To benefit Netflix. It doesn't really benefit ISPs. Customers are going to subscribe regardless of if they can get super HD. It may save ISPs some bandwidth in their core, but it will greatly increase the traffic in the last mile.

Skippy25

join:2000-09-13
Hazelwood, MO

Netflix wouldnt be paying for "this" bandwidth to begin with.

They have their peering agreement with Level 3, whom is the biggest provider of bandwidth in the world and the cost of the added traffic for higher resolution is marginal.

They dont need to have any agreement with ISP's and can send all the traffic they need over the consumer's ISP that they consumer wants to consume and there is not a single thing the ISP can do or say. Netflix is trying to save themselves money with Level 3, but they are also saving the ISP money as well as they too have peering agreements affected that the traffic will transit if they dont have caching servers. They are also allowing the ISP to provide better service to a very popular application that 20+ million people use. That makes the ISP's customer happy and makes them look good for doing the very thing they should do.... deliver the packets you request.

lonon

join:2012-12-21

Yes and because it saves ISPs money it makes any argument against net neutrality bunk. ISPs have been whining that Netflix cost them too much. Now they have no excuse to complain.

Netflix traffic shouldn't count against our caps, but we know that's not going to happen.

RARPSL

join:1999-12-08
Suffern, NY
reply to Skippy25

said by Skippy25:

Netflix wouldnt be paying for "this" bandwidth to begin with.

They have their peering agreement with Level 3, whom is the biggest provider of bandwidth in the world and the cost of the added traffic for higher resolution is marginal.

They dont need to have any agreement with ISP's and can send all the traffic they need over the consumer's ISP that they consumer wants to consume and there is not a single thing the ISP can do or say. Netflix is trying to save themselves money with Level 3, but they are also saving the ISP money as well as they too have peering agreements affected that the traffic will transit if they dont have caching servers. They are also allowing the ISP to provide better service to a very popular application that 20+ million people use. That makes the ISP's customer happy and makes them look good for doing the very thing they should do.... deliver the packets you request.

The way I understand it (I might be wrong) Netflix's peering with Level 3 is not an issue since the session never goes through Level 3 in the first place. Netflix is placing servers on the ISP's network and thus the complete session is on the ISP's network with no part of it being on the Internet.

Skippy25

join:2000-09-13
Hazelwood, MO

I believe you would be understanding wrong.

Unless Netflix has every major ISP running lines to the main server(s) that deliver the content to consumers and the caching servers they have to be running over whomever they have as an ISP (level 3) to reach those networks.

RARPSL

join:1999-12-08
Suffern, NY

said by Skippy25:

I believe you would be understanding wrong.

Unless Netflix has every major ISP running lines to the main server(s) that deliver the content to consumers and the caching servers they have to be running over whomever they have as an ISP (level 3) to reach those networks.

Please reread my comment. I stated that it was my impression that Netflix is placing their caching servers on the ISP's network so Level 3 is not involved in serving the content to the user since it is coming from a server that is already on the user's ISP network. The only involvement of Level 3 is when Netflix wants to connect to the ISP Hosted Server to add new content.