levesque739

join:2008-05-13
Laval, QC

Bell Throttling: Supreme Court allows class action lawsuit

»www.cjad.com/CJADLocalNews/entry···10491462

LostTheGame

join:2012-11-24
Ottawa, ON

"The lawsuit is based on the non-respect of contract terms and false representation."

I recall peak-hour P2P throttling specified in my terms back then. Something along the lines of "Bell reserves the right to..."

WTG

@videotron.ca
reply to levesque739

That's good news!

funny0

join:2010-12-22
reply to levesque739

how long this go back cause half the teksavvy user base is because of bell canada and htose policies
they hounded me and my dad, the still owe me money and ....i almsot died cause of breaches they did on me they had no right to do.
(ya can't just breach contracts cause you feel like it )

y aknow what would a been a probably far more affective protest having every single user affected setup a torrent site and put on it a video how to use mlppp to get around it with teksavvy
they should also include teksavvy users as i had to pay extra to use mlppp via them to get around it....

oh and bells peek hours were and ill quote it
4PM to 2AM
ya know when anyone would use it period
goto school come home throttled
goto work come home throttled

MaynardKrebs
Heave Steve, for the good of the country
Premium
join:2009-06-17
kudos:4
reply to levesque739

Wahoo!!!

um no

@videotron.ca
reply to LostTheGame

said by LostTheGame:

I recall peak-hour P2P throttling specified in my terms back then. Something along the lines of "Bell reserves the right to..."

Um. No.
When it started Bell had ZERO notice about this no matter how many dots "..." you want to put after the non-complete sentence.

Nor did it ever stated this while they claimed they were the fastest in Canada (which was a lie since Videotron was faster at the time and won the broadband wars, as detailed by Mark Goldberg, a bell fanboi).

There was no "peak time protocol specific anything" in their ToS, EVER.

IN addition to this, entire lines were throttled if you used encrypted FTP. Also, part of the install of bit-torrent at the time was an app called BTDNA which would load on start-up in windows. When that app started up with windows, again your entire line was throttles even if you didn't use any torrents, as my wife details in the Bell.ca forum and showed people how to remove this to get rid of the throttle when not running any p2p app.

But hey, feel free to post it and correct me. And show me wrong.

In addition, the Bell forum, when it existed on bell.ca domain, had the Bell employee's stating there is no throttle when there was. As was the case in this forum.

Same is true for Cogeco, which should have had their own class action based on what was reveled during the throttle hearings while Cogeco employee's were denying it up on down on this forum.

So, umm, no.

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC
kudos:23
reply to levesque739

When Bell throttled your line for P2P, it was impossible to make telephone calls because they would throttle your VoIP too. That was how DSL_Ricer, a TekSavvy customer at the time, first realized he was throttled. Even light P2P traffic would cause his telephone line to become completely unusable.
--
Developer: Tomato/MLPPP, Linux/MLPPP, etc »fixppp.org

hm

@videotron.ca

said by Guspaz:

When Bell throttled your line for P2P

Correction.

When Bell throttled your entire line for running p2p, encrypted FTP (SSL-FTP), and if you had start-up items in the windows start-up registry, like BT-DNA.

In reality, it wasn't only p2p. And not *only* p2p was throttled. This was also seen in these forums and reviews, and Bell.ca's own forum..

If that start-up app, BT-dna, (or similar app loaded), or if you had SSL-ftp, *everything* was throttled. Everything including browsers and Email.

People only harped on the p2p. But 99% of the speed issues was due to the above when not running p2p.

Keep that in mind.

hm

@videotron.ca
reply to levesque739

Anyone have the court transcripts of this? Pls post.

ChuckcZar

@teksavvy.com
reply to levesque739

They should sue for malicious damages on top off basic damages.

ChuckcZar

@teksavvy.com
reply to hm

Let's hope Rogers will be on the hook for at least double what Bell will have to rebate as Rogers still throttles. Maybe they can write it on the bottom of Ted's gravestone... the subscribers finally won one.

El Quintron
Resident Mouth Breather
Premium
join:2008-04-28
Etobicoke, ON
reply to hm

said by hm :

Keep that in mind.

Duly noted.

I can only hope that they pay through the nose for every offence.
--
Support Bacteria -- It's the Only Culture Some People Have

hm

@videotron.ca

Trust there is more as well. Like how Bell wanted to be the "port police" of Canada along with their throttling.

If you had an app (we will use FTP/FTPd as an example) that didn't use default port 21, then you got throttled as punishment.

So really what was going on was:

Communications not on standard ports = throttled

Undocumented, or new type, apps using a port = Throttled.

Encrypted communications = Throttled (very F'n Orwellian)

Game Updates = Throttled (they called battle.net/WoW cheap on their Bell.ca forum for not pushing updates via web or FTP downloads on port 21 only, and blamed them.)

In-line game communications where people talk to each other via head-sets = Throttled.

And the throttle in many, many cases throttled the line as a whole, not just the particular app causing the throttle. As Guspaz stated, his latency sensitive voip was throttled.

Yeah, hope they pay dearly for what they did and started. But, I doubt it. You know how it is.. Judge will have a lot of stock tied up in Bell for his retirement. Can't damage that.

El Quintron
Resident Mouth Breather
Premium
join:2008-04-28
Etobicoke, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL

said by hm :

Trust there is more as well. Like how Bell wanted to be the "port police" of Canada along with their throttling.

Bell's desire to control the Internet was (is?) very unhealthy for both free speech and innovation in Canada.
--
Support Bacteria -- It's the Only Culture Some People Have

cog_biz_user
i ruin threads apparently

join:2011-04-19
Hamilton, ON
reply to um no

said by um no :

Same is true for Cogeco, which should have had their own class action based on what was reveled during the throttle hearings while Cogeco employee's were denying it up on down on this forum.

Cogeco still does it, and it's even worse now, they dumb down pretty much all streaming video.

Soiduts

join:2002-04-02
Ontario
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·Bell Sympatico
·Rogers Hi-Speed
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to levesque739

I posted this back in the day when I was a Sympatico customer:
»Non P2P SSL Protocols now being throttled.

I refused to go through their rigmarole regarding SSL being throttled even when not using any P2P. Deadpool, a Bell employee at the time seemed to know what was going on but really didn't want to solve the problem as he was either told by management not to 'fix' it or didn't know exactly how to fix it

My solution to their SSL throttling was to switch to get a DSL login from Teksavvy which they were offering at the time and that fixed the problem instantly. Been a happy Teksavvy customer since. Good to see this throttling issue is finally going to get some attention after so long.

MaynardKrebs
Heave Steve, for the good of the country
Premium
join:2009-06-17

Speaking of Deadpool, where is he now?

funny_one
Previously known as 'Deadpool'

join:2010-11-01

said by MaynardKrebs:

Speaking of Deadpool, where is he now?

I'm still around, just not as active as before. I left Bell in 2011.

As for the SSL issue, it wasn't because I wasn't willing to fix it. Users on this forum can attest to the time we spent on the phone together trying to figure out the problem with the DPI provider at the time and their engineer.

funny0

join:2010-12-22

not to be confused with me either NICE TRY....ya know why he left bell ....

Expand your moderator at work