shaner
Premium Member
join:2000-10-04
Calgary, AB

shaner to btB

Premium Member

to btB

Re: Official 2012 CFL Thread

Alouettes need a new coach now that Trestman is the new head guy in Chicago.

»www.cbc.ca/sports/footba ··· man.html

btB
@rr.com

btB

Anon

And all the naysayers said that Jeff Reinebold was no benefit. Trestman obviously picked up some job interviewing skills from dealing with Reinebold.

Anyway, some people are now suggesting that Trestman might hire Scott Milanovich has QB coach. That would be crazy. If that were to happen, I would think that Chris Jones might be a head coach with either the Argos or Als. That might also pave the way for Kent Austin to lead the Ti-Cats to the Grey Cup in Saskatchewan.

One word of advice to Trestman: You will be under the microscope enough already as you are coming from a league that is not well-respected. You do not need to bring with you someone who was in charge of the worst part of the Als (special teams).
IamGimli (banned)
join:2004-02-28
Canada

IamGimli (banned)

Jim Popp has already received permission to interview Chris Jones for the head coach job in Montreal.

Maybe he'll be able to fix the one thing Trestman wasn't able to shape up, the defense (especially in the back field). It's been getting worse and worse every year since Jones left the DC position in Montreal.

btB
@rr.com

btB

Anon

Jones would help any defense because the guy likes to go to as many cities as possible and hold free agent tryouts. That is why he also gets the title of Assistant General Manager. The guy literally goes all over to find players himself.

If Jones were to become the Als' head coach, he would need somebody to run the offense. Maybe George Cortez as the Eskimos seem interested in him for that position, so maybe there is a chance he will be coaching somewhere even though he is still getting paid by Hamilton.

Right now the person who holds the offensive coordinator title in Edmonton is Kavis Reed as Marcus Crandell was demoted to Quarterbacks Coach near the end of this past season. Reed obviously is not somebody who should be the OC of a CFL team. Not sure why the Eskimos have been taking so long naming an OC.

As far as the Als go, Popp is unpredictable enough that I would not be surprised if the head coaching job went to somebody you would not think of.

capdjq
Be Kind, Be Calm & Be Safe
Premium Member
join:2000-11-01
Vancouver

capdjq to shaner

Premium Member

to shaner
said by shaner:

Alouettes need a new coach now that Trestman is the new head guy in Chicago.

»www.cbc.ca/sports/footba ··· man.html

The Bears probably chose because of his past references. He was an offensive coordinator with San Francisco, Arizona and Oakland. The Bears hope he can get the most out of quarterback Jay Cutler. Although his success in the CFL probably helped.

Still its hard to look at Trestman and think of the Bears as the Monsters of the Midway.

btB
@rr.com

btB

Anon

Trestman to me looks like the head coach for a college Chess team. This guy is the coach of a football team, yet he looks like he has never been outdoors? No drill sergeant hair cut either. He looks like he is wearing a toupée because of his hair style.

Here is something you don't see often: a head coach saying that 2 of his assistants should be considered head coaching candidates for another team. Mike Benevides is promoting offensive coordinator Jacques Chapdelaine and defensive backs coach Mark Washington for the Als. Is Mike Benevides just a nice guy trying to help his staff move up, or is it something else? Seems like most people would not stand in the way of a promotion but not advertise them to others if they are of significant value.
IamGimli (banned)
join:2004-02-28
Canada

IamGimli (banned) to btB

to btB
said by btB :

As far as the Als go, Popp is unpredictable enough that I would not be surprised if the head coaching job went to somebody you would not think of.

Actually in Montreal Popp is pretty much only a secretary to Bob Wettenhall (the owner of the team) when it comes to head coach decisions. I agree we may be surprised by who ends up with the job though.

Wettenhall is very hands-on with those decisions, and it was him who interviewed Trestman four years ago (they knew each other from previous dealings).

Besides, Popp seems to be a bit busy trying to find himself a job in the NFL right now. He's a great GM but I don't think he's NFL-great.

btB
@rr.com

btB

Anon

Popp said that he does not expect a GM job offer from the NFL, so that means Popp most likely will be back in 2013.

Eskimos learned today that old lesson: You snooze; you lose. They had an opening for their offensive coordinator since before the season ended. Everybody knew they wanted George Cortez. So what happens? Rider Nation picks him up after only a few days after Corey Chamblin first contacted him.

Wait a minute. Riders already had Bob Dyce in that position. Guess Dyce is getting a demotion. Maybe he will be like Marcus Crandell and end up as the quarterback coach.

Speaking of the Eskimos, it looks like they released Steven Jyles. Will there be interest elsewhere? Eric Tillman is not a GM anywhere, so I say most likely not.