spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

JuanMiguel

@bhn.net

Anyone know a reputable residential network company that can

run a network drop/cable across the attic?

I just got the new BH Turbo speed upgrade. To test the speed I moved the PC to the same room where the BH cable comes in from the wall. Wired speeds for me are at a constant (40/2..I know it's supposed to be 30 down but I'm getting 40...shhhhh..) 40/2. In the past I tried to run a network cable from one room to the other in the attic but ran across a stubborn beam that blocks the cable ever so slightly going to one of the rooms. I don't have the proper equipment to get past it.

Does anyone know of a decent networking company in the CFL (Longwood area specifically) area that could run this drop for me properly? I know I can look it up but I'm wondering if anyone has used a company previously that they were satisfied with. It should be a literal 15 min job..I already have the Cat6 cable in the attic at both locations, just need someone that has the right tool to get past the wood beam which is lower down the walls near the outlet in the attic.

Thanks

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
join:2006-02-16
Saint Petersburg, FL
kudos:151

JuanMiguel

@bhn.net
reply to JuanMiguel
because a single network drop wont be expensive. and I have everything else setup ready to go. It will also be great for my HD movie viewing instead of wireless.

Just wondering if anyone has used a reputable company before I find one on my own.

Opt

join:2012-04-04
Bakersfield, CA
reply to BHNtechXpert
Probably because the direct line he's already got plugged in it much cheaper, more versatile and probably faster and more reliable if he's got a Gigabit router .

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to JuanMiguel
This is just for his TV stuff he doesn't need a gigabit link and it will cost him way more than the cost of those two devices to have the cable ran and it will perform almost the same as a hardwired without the wireless nonsense.

Opt

Bakersfield, CA
said by BHNtechXpert:

This is just for his TV stuff he doesn't need a gigabit link and it will cost him way more than the cost of those two devices to have the cable ran and it will perform almost the same as a hardwired without the wireless nonsense.

The cable is already in place. He just needs someone to fish the line down for him. He can look up a general contractor and pay someone $20 for 5 minutes of their time when they're in his area.

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
said by Opt:

said by BHNtechXpert:

The cable is already in place. He just needs someone to fish the line down for him. He can look up a general contractor and pay someone $20 for 5 minutes of their time when they're in his area.

Yea but contractors most of the time will not work for just 5 minutes..they have too many other jobs to do so they will get at least an hour out of you which at minimum will be $50 if you are lucky. Thats just my thought on it...plus you have you actually get them to show the heck up for the job...thats a whole different pain.
--
~All truth goes through three phases. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as self-evident. - Arthur Schopenhauer ~

Opt

Bakersfield, CA
said by BHNtechXpert:

said by Opt:

said by BHNtechXpert:

Yea but contractors most of the time will not work for just 5 minutes..they have too many other jobs to do so they will get at least an hour out of you which at minimum will be $50 if you are lucky. Thats just my thought on it...plus you have you actually get them to show the heck up for the job...thats a whole different pain.

Can't he just call Bright House and have someone come out to do it?

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to JuanMiguel
We don't run ethernet cable generally speaking...there are rare exceptions but this doesn't sound like one of them.

JuanMiguel

@bhn.net
no worries guys
found a company to do it
will report on the results if I can remember lol
$40 since it's an easy job

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL