Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

tallen77

@info.net
reply to rocca

Re: Start Communications - New Packages

Hi Rocca,

I know you probably haven't heard, but I was wondering if you know when Cogeco plans to upgrade the Sarnia area so we can take advantage of the higher speeds?

Thanks!

rocca
Start.ca
Premium
join:2008-11-16
London, ON
kudos:23

Don't have details on that one yet.

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium
join:2010-01-09
Scarborough, ON
kudos:10
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·Start Communicat..

Do you know if the foreseeable future holds anything above 2mbps upload on Cogeco? I mean, I love the higher download speed for the pro package, but without a little more upload to go with it I can't make a good case for the additional costs. Not to my wife anyway.

Mike
--
Cogeco - The New UBB Devil -»[Burloak] Usage Based Billing Nightmare
Cogeco UBB, No Modem Required - »[Niagara] 40gb of "usage" while the modem is unplugged

silvercat

join:2007-11-07
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..

At least one person has reported (on the Start "invisible" forum) seeing four upstream channels when looking at their modem stats. This indicates (to me) that Cogeco is getting ready (at some point in the near future hopefully) to introduce faster upload speeds.

rocca
Start.ca
Premium
London, ON
reply to dillyhammer

said by dillyhammer:

Do you know if the foreseeable future holds anything above 2mbps upload on Cogeco?

Yes it does, that's all I can say for now.

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium
join:2010-01-09
Scarborough, ON
kudos:10
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·Start Communicat..

said by rocca:

said by dillyhammer:

Do you know if the foreseeable future holds anything above 2mbps upload on Cogeco?

Yes it does, that's all I can say for now.

Excellent. I snuck in under the wire and grabbed your 30/2 package a day or two before it was deprecated. I think I'll just stay grampa'd in on that until something changes with the uploads. 30/2 is pretty darn snappy. But 60/4 is REALLY appealing. Maybe we'll get lucky with the CRTC coming to their senses on capacity charges and we'll get an unlimited option. I'd be down for some of that.

Mike
--
Cogeco - The New UBB Devil -»[Burloak] Usage Based Billing Nightmare
Cogeco UBB, No Modem Required - »[Niagara] 40gb of "usage" while the modem is unplugged

rocca
Start.ca
Premium
London, ON

said by dillyhammer:

Maybe we'll get lucky with the CRTC coming to their senses on capacity charges and we'll get an unlimited option. I'd be down for some of that.

Here here to that.

Davesnothere
No-BHELL-ity DOES have its Advantages
Premium
join:2009-06-15
START Today!
kudos:7

4 edits
reply to dillyhammer

said by dillyhammer:

[....I snuck in under the wire and grabbed your 30/2 package a day or two before it was deprecated.

I think I'll just stay grampa'd in on that until something changes with the uploads.

30/2 is pretty darn snappy....

I offer my sincere Congrats on your becoming a Grandpa !

And yes, 30/2 is rather BRISK.

So does this mean that you lucked out and got 30/2/400 for the old price ?

Oddly enough (from SOME folks' perspectives), I don't think I'm anywhere NEAR the cap on my Gramp'd 20/1.5/300 service, so am actually considering START's latest 20/1.5/150 plan, for ten bucks LESS per month than the ($50 net net) that I pay now.

And if I decide later that the 150 cap is too tight, I could still move back up to their now new 30/2/250 plan for the currently posted same price as what I had already been paying for their Gramp'd 20/1.5/300 tier, which would itself be not a bad tradeoff either for some folks - i.e. the faster speed for the 50 less GB.

BTW, unless there's been a recent change to this tier, the open rate for GOUGEco's 30/2/175 retail service remains at $70 net, including a modem, which still is $15 net more than START's new 30/2/250 with a modem added on, AND with 75 less GB of monthly usage, and a stiffer UBB.

Another nice thing, from a tech PoV, is that I do not need to change modems, as my D3 rental is supported by all of these plans.

InvalidError

join:2008-02-03
kudos:5
reply to rocca

said by rocca:

said by dillyhammer:

Maybe we'll get lucky with the CRTC coming to their senses on capacity charges and we'll get an unlimited option. I'd be down for some of that.

Here here to that.

With some creative accounting and activity/cost restructuring to optimize admissible charges/costs, I would not be surprised if phase-II rates for at least Bell/Rogers/Videotron and maybe Cogeco still ended over $10k/Gbps.

If they cost lots of internal stuff as-new, they may even be able to crank it to $20k/Gbps.

So I won't be holding my breath.

rogerstv

@teksavvy.com

I was about to switch from Teksavvy DSL for Start cable until they lowered the caps, I missed out on the 300gb plan so now I might go to distrubutel since I hover around 260gb a month due to netflix.

Cannot recall if Distributel is on aggregate or not but it may be the only safe option until I see what the market does.