IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy

Premium Member

Trouble spot question

The system was rebuilt in 2003, and I think the company that did the rebuild might have reused the underground lines on my street (they installed new taps) where all the overhead lines, taps, and hardware was replaced during the rebuild. Is this something Comcast (or its contractors) would do during a rebuild. I have lost count of how many trouble calls (and counting) I've had for dropped Internet connections and other service issues. The street I live on is a public right of way. It is a thickly settled residential area.

I am hoping Comcast does not give up and puts me on the unserviceable list. Many people on this street have Comcast and I know there is problems because the same neighbor comes out and talks to the tech when I have a service call and other neighbors have done so as well. The supervisor was out on the last service call and he did not want to deal with it. He would not listen to the neighbor and said she had to set up her own service call. This supervisor is not what you would call Comcast matrial. He even tried blaming the technician's meter being broken.
Cable Employ
join:2012-07-23
Saint Paul, MN

Cable Employ

Re-using the existing cables is normal. Here they only replaced cables that were shown to be bad; wouldn't pass signals correctly up to 750 megahertz. That is how it works now still.

Sounds to me if the neighbors are also having problems, a maintenance tech should be sent out to the area, if it hasn't happened already. If there is a bad cable, it can sometimes be difficult to find, but not impossible.
Expand your moderator at work

bradyr
YCCD - Network Operations
Premium Member
join:2008-10-27
Sonora, CA
(Software) pfSense
Netgear CM1200
Ubiquiti UAP-AC-HD

bradyr to IowaCowboy

Premium Member

to IowaCowboy

Re: Trouble spot question

when Comcast did their re-fit (upgrade/whatever they call it) in my county, last year, they replaced all of the taps system wide, and I think they cleaned up every splice/junction/union, on the old cable and in a lot of neighborhoods they pulled new coax along side the old (re-conditioned) coax.

these particular contractors that Comcast hired did a pretty good job on the plant. Even though comcast didn't expand their footprint, i dont think there was a single linear foot of plant that wasn't scrutinized..

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy

Premium Member

Click for full size
Before the fix
Click for full size
After the fix
Had a tech out today, he said the signals coming to the modem were on the hot side. He said the closer to 0.00 db, the better. So we reconfigured the splitters. He put in a three way to feed the EMTA and the modem (both on the -7.5 leg) and left the TVs on the four way. All he had for terminators was the locking so he said to just leave it open or to buy some terminators at RadioShack. I dug through my tool bag and found another three way so I put the three TVs on it with the host DVR on the -3.5 leg and the two HD boxes on the -7.5 leg. My signals and connectivity have improved.

The before signals are on top and the after is on the bottom.

beachintech
There's sand in my tool bag
Premium Member
join:2008-01-06

1 recommendation

beachintech

Premium Member

Neither one of those really show any problems signal wise.