how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

FF4m3

@rr.com

Why I Might Ditch My IPhone For An Android

From Bloomberg Businessweek by Mathew Ingram:

I was also interested in the openness of the Android ecosystem, and wondered if that would be a benefit, compared to the walled garden that Apple runs for iOS.

... in some cases, useful things are kept out as well—content, applications, or ways of integrating with other networks and services that may not meet Apple’s standards (or that aren’t willing to pay Apple for the privilege).

For me it comes down to this: Apple has great design, but it restricts your choice in all kinds of ways. I have been seeing those restrictive bars more and more, despite all the beautiful flowers. Android offers a kind of “tyranny of choice.” But in the end, I think choice and openness are better, even if they seem less attractive at first glance. That’s why I’m thinking of making the switch permanent.

Rexter
YeeHaw

join:2002-11-17
cloud 9
The reality is many people don't want choice. They prefer to be told what to do, and how to do it. I mean hell, we re-elected Obama didn't we?

timcuth
Braves Fan
Premium
join:2000-09-18
Pelham, AL
Reviews:
·Charter
·AT&T Southeast
reply to FF4m3
Another way of looking at it is that Apple is great if you want a no muss, no fuss appliance. Android is better if you want openness and (some) ability to tinker and do things your own way.

I note that I see lots of articles about how to "jail break" Android phones, too, so something must not be completely open.

My wife and both sons use iPhones and love them, but I lean toward the Android (I don't yet have a smart phone).

Tim
--
"Life is like this long line, except at the end there ain't no merry-go-round." - Arthur on The King of Queens
~ Project Hope ~

Bink
Villains... knock off all that evil

join:2006-05-14
Castle Rock, CO
kudos:4
Reviews:
·VOIPO
reply to FF4m3
Glad to see more people are waking up to how closed Apple is—it’s time to Think Different.
said by timcuth:

Another way of looking at it is that Apple is great if you want a no muss, no fuss appliance.

There’s no muss or fuss with Android either.

dave
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio
kudos:8
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

1 recommendation

reply to Rexter
said by Rexter:

The reality is many people don't want choice. They prefer to be told what to do, and how to do it. I mean hell, we re-elected Obama didn't we?

Oh, don't be silly.

I happen to have an iPhone (work-related, so not the result of an conscious comparison effort on my part). I'm pretty happy with it. This is not a matter of "I prefer to be told what to do", it is a matter of "it does everything that I actually want it to do". Thus the question of which is better doesn't really impinge itself on my consciousness. If both models do all I need, why would I change?

If I do have to buy my own smartphone one day, I'll likely look at usability (=UI design) and price first of all.

timcuth See Profile's response is more thoughtful, and thus nearer the mark, than your knee-jerk reaction.

Maxo
Your tax dollars at work.
Premium,VIP
join:2002-11-04
Tallahassee, FL

1 recommendation

reply to timcuth
said by timcuth:

I note that I see lots of articles about how to "jail break" Android phones, too, so something must not be completely open.

Manufacturers love to remove the possibility of gaining root. These jailbreaks remove the no-root restrictions.
Even a carrier-restricted Android handset is more open than a jailbroken iPhone.