All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs

Agrajag
join:2005-04-04
Sewell, NJ

Agrajag

Asus RT-AC66U setup (direct to ONT)

I'm currently running a D-Link DIR-655 router that's getting wonky so we decided to give the above router a shot.

I'm having zero luck getting it going and was hoping someone else might be able to give me a head-butt (I'm clearly forgetting something basic).

The D-Link is set up as DHCP (NOT PPPoE) and working fine otherwise.

Remember, the ONT is setup as Ethernet not coax so the ActionTec is out of the picture for this.

When I plug in the Asus it asks a couple basic questions and then looks for a DHCP setup and fails. It then instructs me to go "turn off the modem, wait two minutes and turn it back on". I reset the ONT and then when it comes back up I click continue but the Asus fails again and again.

What am I goofing up here?

Onedollar
join:2001-08-27
Pomona, CA

Onedollar

Need to get FSC (tech support) to release the ip manually no? Its in the FAQ

Agrajag
Sewell, NJ

Agrajag

Who is FSC? Is that FiOS Support Center?

And what FAQ?

Thanks.

For what it's worth, I've changed routers a couple times without ever having to do any of this. It's just worked.

More Fiber
MVM
join:2005-09-26
Cape Coral, FL

More Fiber

MVM

FAQ = Frequently Asked Question
The link to them is at the top of the page.

»Verizon FiOS FAQ »How do I release my DHCP lease? Why would I need to?
Third party routers may or may not have a feature to release their DHCP lease. If your router doesn't have this, you will have to either call the FSC, or turn off the router until the existing DHCP lease expires.

Yes, FSC is Fiber Support Center.

Agrajag
Sewell, NJ

Agrajag

Ugh. Ever time I call Verizon support it's a nightmare of explanation given the ONT Ethernet setup.

What's the alternative entail? Turn off the ONT until it releases? How will I know?

More Fiber
MVM
join:2005-09-26
Cape Coral, FL

More Fiber

MVM

I said turn off the router, not the ONT.

The DHCP lease duration is 2 hours, with the lease being renewed every hour. Unplug your router for 2 hours. After 2 hours, the lease will have expired. You should then be able to acquire a DHCP lease from the other router.

Agrajag
Sewell, NJ

Agrajag

Oh, sorry, quick read. So turn off the D-Link for two hours which will cause it to release the DHCP (though I do believe it has the function to release it) and then plug the Asus in which should then get its own, is that correct?
Agrajag

Agrajag

Okay, I'm good. Released from within the DLink interface and then plugged in the Asus. All up and going. As I said, I knew it was a senior moment thing.