Tell me more x
, there is a new speed test available. Give it a try, leave feedback!
dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

donoreo
Premium
join:2002-05-30
North York, ON

SCOC Rules ok to seize vehicle of repeat drunk driver

I think this is good news. The guy had 5 convictions for drunk driving. They took his truck. SCOC says, hey that is ok.

»www.thestar.com/news/can ··· -s-truck

I_H8_Spam

join:2004-03-10
St Catharines, ON
Agreed - you flout the law, the law should flout you.

LazMan
Premium
join:2003-03-26
canada
reply to donoreo
I'm fine with it, as well... Far more so, then the 0.05 "almost breaking the law, so we're going to fine you and impound your vehicle" policy Ontario implemented. But I digress...

donoreo
Premium
join:2002-05-30
North York, ON
reply to donoreo
Usually the people that have multiple convictions are people with problems. Often they need to hit the bottom before getting help. This may help them in the long run.

MaynardKrebs
Heave Steve, for the good of the country
Premium
join:2009-06-17
kudos:4
reply to donoreo
So what happens when the seized vehicle is a leased new Mercedes, or the vehicle is owned by the person's employer?
Is the government going to sell it at auction?

I_H8_Spam

join:2004-03-10
St Catharines, ON
said by MaynardKrebs:

So what happens when the seized vehicle is a leased new Mercedes, or the vehicle is owned by the person's employer?
Is the government going to sell it at auction?

Same way the system works now, the register lienholder/employer is SOL until the defined term is met. IE roadside seizure.

--
AFK: Attack, fight, kill!! The healer is telling you to go pull mobs.
WTF: Way to fight! The healer is applauding your tactical genius

Gone
Premium
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON
kudos:4
reply to MaynardKrebs
It probably wouldn't get to that point. We're talking about someone who went through the courts and had been convicted of a crime with the vehicle seizure being part of the sentence of sorts.

Seizing on the side of the road is an entirely different situation that is separate from this specific case.

dirtyjeffer
Anons on ignore, but not due to fear.
Premium
join:2002-02-21
London, ON
reply to donoreo
hmm...

"The man was living in a motel in Chute-aux-Outardes, a small village on Quebec’s north shore. Manning, in his 60s, was on welfare and had no other means of transport.

peterboro
Premium
join:2006-11-03
Peterborough, ON
reply to LazMan
said by LazMan:

I'm fine with it, as well... Far more so, then the 0.05 "almost breaking the law, so we're going to fine you and impound your vehicle" policy Ontario implemented. But I digress...

People at .05 to .08 are a significant risk to others on the road.

Speaking of accidents I was just in one an hour ago involving 4 vehicles that blocked a major intersection in Peterborough.

I checked on the guy who caused it and didn't smell any alcohol but he must have been on drugs to swerve into my lane like he did.

peterboro
Premium
Peterborough, ON
reply to dirtyjeffer
said by dirtyjeffer:

hmm...

"The man was living in a motel in Chute-aux-Outardes, a small village on Quebec’s north shore. Manning, in his 60s, was on welfare and had no other means of transport.

Ah, too bad. You didn't get to use you favourite line. "he was known to police".

LazMan
Premium
join:2003-03-26
canada
reply to peterboro
My disagreement isn't with the .05; it's with how the laws and fines/penalties are set... If they had simply lowered the legal limit to 0.05, I'd have no complaints about it.

As for your accident - hope your not too shook up. For the other driver; people do strange things... And are occasionally just horrible drivers. Booze, drugs, and medical conditions can play a role, but not always...

What intersection? I used to live in town myself...

dirtyjeffer
Premium
London, ON
reply to peterboro
said by peterboro:

Ah, too bad. You didn't get to use you favourite line. "he was known to police".

come on now...that should already be known...i shouldn't have to say it.

peterboro
Premium
Peterborough, ON
reply to LazMan
said by LazMan:

If they had simply lowered the legal limit to 0.05, I'd have no complaints about it.

Me neither.

said by LazMan:

As for your accident - hope your not too shook up.

I get in so many accidents they don't phase me anymore. I was on the phone to 911 and assessing injuries right away.

said by LazMan:

For the other driver; people do strange things... And are occasionally just horrible drivers. Booze, drugs, and medical conditions can play a role, but not always...

He just sat in the car staring straight ahead and was unresponsive. Then that stupid OnStar kept interrupting me trying to communicate to 911.

said by LazMan:

What intersection? I used to live in town myself...

Hunter Street bridge was closed down.

peterboro
Premium
Peterborough, ON
reply to dirtyjeffer
said by dirtyjeffer:

said by peterboro:

come on now...that should already be known...i shouldn't have to say it.

I know, but I don't know how you get through the day sometimes without saying it.

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC
kudos:23
reply to donoreo
This is good news. You get behind the wheel under the influence, you have no right to complain when your vehicle is seized. Nobody caused that to happen but you and you alone.
--
Developer: Tomato/MLPPP, Linux/MLPPP, etc »fixppp.org

digitalfutur
Sees More Than Shown
Premium
join:2000-07-15
BurlingtonON
kudos:2
reply to donoreo
How many convictions are required before a lengthy jail term is imposed? This would make the legal issue of vehicle seizure moot.

koira
Keep Fighting Michael
Premium
join:2004-02-16
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
reply to donoreo
The guy is chronic, he crossed the line a long time ago. maybe for dui convictions the cut off should be seize after the third. Hit em real hard for second then seized.

I dont agree with madds agenda where anyone who has a glass of wine at a restaurant is a trainwreck

Markie
INTJ

join:2009-07-11
Canada
PQ wants seizure after every offense and confiscation after the third. I'm no fan of governments taking what is not theirs but how did this welfare bum figure he was going to pay the insurance premiums with 2 DUI since 2009?
--
»libertarian.on.ca/

dirtyjeffer
Premium
London, ON
said by Markie:

PQ wants seizure after every offense and confiscation after the third. I'm no fan of governments taking what is not theirs but how did this welfare bum figure he was going to pay the insurance premiums with 2 DUI since 2009?

AND afford to live in a motel...kinda makes Hudak's recent platform announcement interesting timing.

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC
kudos:23
reply to donoreo
I can't speak for the community he lived in, but in most cities, it's far cheaper to use public transit than to own a vehicle, new or old... $77 a month for a bus pass, versus gas/insurance/maintenance/etc...

In fact, if he's in his 60s, he may well qualify for a reduced fare public transit pass, $45/mth if you're 65+.

I'll take this chance to randomly complain that when I was in CEGEP, a reduced farepublic transit pass included bus/metro/train and cost $25/mth. Today, it only includes bus/metro (no train), and costs $45/mth...
--
Developer: Tomato/MLPPP, Linux/MLPPP, etc »fixppp.org

cog_biz_user
i ruin threads apparently

join:2011-04-19
Hamilton, ON
reply to Markie
said by Markie:

but how did this welfare bum figure he was going to pay the insurance premiums with 2 DUI since 2009?

just because insurance is required to legally drive doesn't mean everyone has it.