how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Jbstormburst

@verizon.net
reply to patt2k

Re: DD-WRT Support?

Thanks for the clarification, as someone on the REV I thread mentioned they had DD-WRT on their own VZ router, so I wanted to make sure.

Although, all considering, is it possible that third-party firmware might gain MoCa support one day? And can anyone comment on DD-WRT's performance on the E42000 v2?

Also, right now, I have a PS3, Wii, and 3DS XL, so I'm wondering if any of them accept a pure 5 GHz signal? When I tired to set up a dedicated 5 GHz band, the network SSID would not come up if I attempted a scan.

patt2k

join:2009-01-16
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
said by Jbstormburst :

Thanks for the clarification, as someone on the REV I thread mentioned they had DD-WRT on their own VZ router, so I wanted to make sure.

Although, all considering, is it possible that third-party firmware might gain MoCa support one day? And can anyone comment on DD-WRT's performance on the E42000 v2?

Also, right now, I have a PS3, Wii, and 3DS XL, so I'm wondering if any of them accept a pure 5 GHz signal? When I tired to set up a dedicated 5 GHz band, the network SSID would not come up if I attempted a scan.

I will show you my 5ghz settings on (WNDR3700) should be similar since it's DD-WRT , I think you have to put it under AES only to have 5GHZ working properly.

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
join:2005-09-26
West Chester, PA
kudos:31
reply to Jbstormburst
said by Jbstormburst :

is it possible that third-party firmware might gain MoCa support one day?

I believe that Entropic (the MOCA chip manufacturer) wants $25K for the MOCA SDK. Unlikely that the DD-WRT folks are going to underwrite that for just a few users.
--
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary and those who don't.

Smith6612
Premium,MVM
join:2008-02-01
North Tonawanda, NY
kudos:24
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL
·Frontier Communi..
I've seen some mention around the Internet of some folks getting OpenWRT running on an ActionTec with MoCa support. I can't confirm how valid it is but the driver I suppose wouldn't be super hard to get a hold of from elsewhere if the MoCa chips become more common.

anon12456789

@verizon.net
If you go to openwrt you will find that a couple of the action routers are actually supported, the question is what verizon will do with the equipment that is modified? they do updates and stuff....

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
West Chester, PA
said by anon12456789 :

they do updates and stuff....

That's not an issue. Once you replace the VZ firmware, the router no longer phones home for updates.
--
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary and those who don't.

Jbstormburst

@verizon.net
Does that include the Revision I? And if so, are there any major differences between OpenWRT and DD-WRT that I should be aware of? And would I lose any functionality, since I am using Triple Play?

Thinkdiff
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY
kudos:11
There is no custom firmware for the Rev I.

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
West Chester, PA
reply to Jbstormburst
said by Jbstormburst :

Does that include the Revision I?

No. DD-WRT only supports Gen 1 Actiontecs (rev. A, C, D).
»www.dd-wrt.com/site/support/router-database
Likewise, Open WRT.
»wiki.openwrt.org/toh/start#actiontec
said by Jbstormburst :

are there any major differences between OpenWRT and DD-WRT that I should be aware of?

Not an expert on either. You need to research that yourself.
said by Jbstormburst :

And would I lose any functionality, since I am using Triple Play?

Neither implementation supports MOCA, so you have the exactly the same limitations are any other non-MOCA router. You would need a MOCA bridge in order to support your STBs.
--