Premium
join:2010-10-23
Mclean, VA
kudos:10
Reviews:
·T-Mobile US
·Verizon FiOS
reply to clevere1

Re: Onkyo SR-605 or Pioneer VSX-820 receiver?

I'm a bit picky about my receivers, and tend to stick with vintage, but as far as home theatre goes, I would keep the Onkyo since I've found their power rating to be more reasonable than the non-Elite Pioneers.

The reviews I've found on the Onkyo have the downside of:

Downconverts 1080i component video signals to 720p when outputting over HDMI; HDMI video quality converted from analog sources may not satisfy videophiles; Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio decoding cannot be used with current crop of high-definition video players.

The Pioneer also dosen't show the OSD over HDMI, and lacks the ability to convert analogue to digital for video sources.

That's ignoring the fact that the Pioneer is newer, yet has already had something relatively major fail on it.

As far as connections go, only your DTV receiver and PS3 really need to be connected via HDMI, your Wii U won't care if it's connected via component or HDMI. Also, HDMI versions are meaningless, as unless you have high end gear that can handle a 4K resolution, the difference between HDMI 1.3 and 1.4 is negligible.