Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Vio

join:2013-01-17
Chesapeake, VA

[VA] Cox Ultimate Availability...

Hello,

Well, I'm a Cox Preferred customer and until recently I thought my connection was really good, according to speedtest.net.

After running some speedtests on other sites such as speedof.me and testmy.net, I realized that my upload speed was much lower than what speedtest.net was showing me.

I was looking into upgrading to Cox Ultimate Internet (100/20) only to realize I couldn't order it online through Cox. I sent a message to Cox Support and was told that it isn't available in my area (Chesapeake, VA). After more research, it seems like it isn't widely available at all, except in places like Rhode Island and very few other locations.

So, is there any word on when Cox will be expanding availability for of their Ultimate tier? It's quite frustrating that it's listed on their site regardless of location but not available to order in many locations.

Also, why is there is such a huge difference in upload speed between sites such as Speedtest and Testmy.net and which one is more reliable?

lilstone87

join:2009-04-09
Portsmouth, VA
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Cox HSI

Well i am pretty sure whoever told you ultimate isn't available is wrong. I know you can't order ultimate threw the cox site. So you need to call cox billing/sales, and ask about ultimate. As for the speedtest results above, speedtest.net show results with powerboost. A feature that give extra available speed for first couple megabytes of data. Testmy.net downloads/uploads large amounts of data which powerboost runs out, giving you the exact speeds you are paying for based on tier you have. I have ultimate tier in portsmouth, so i pretty sure its available to you, and everyone in the hampton roads market.

Optimus2357
Premium
join:2010-11-21
West Warwick, RI
reply to Vio

I personally think »myspeed.visualware.com/index.php is the best performance testing site out there. Not only does it show you both speed and capacity, and allow you to see all kinds of other perimeters, but it will actually look at your results and explain them to you.

Just keep in mind no test is perfect. It is a tool, and should only be used along with other tools, to give you data about any possible symtoms you may have. If your not experiencing any symptoms, and your happy..then Don't worry. Be Happy.

Vio

Chesapeake, VA
reply to Vio

Thanks for the replies, guys.

I'll give Cox a call tomorrow about upgrading to Ultimate, the upload is a big deal for me because I stream games a lot on twitch.tv, so the more upload for me, the better. Until now I was wondering why I couldn't stream at 3000kbps bitrate consistently even though I assumed I was getting 20mbps upload.

lilstone87

Portsmouth, VA
Reviews:
·Cox HSI

said by Vio:

Thanks for the replies, guys.

I'll give Cox a call tomorrow about upgrading to Ultimate, the upload is a big deal for me because I stream games a lot on twitch.tv, so the more upload for me, the better. Until now I was wondering why I couldn't stream at 3000kbps bitrate consistently even though I assumed I was getting 20mbps upload.

No you were probably maxing your upstream bandwidth out, and not even hitting 3000kbps. As the tier your on has a 2.5mbps upload limit. I can tell you though with ultimate you will get about 20-21mbps upload. You do know residential internet tiers do have caps? which cox can enforce at anytime they please. Ultimate has a 400gb monthly cap, and only mentioning this as I know you can eat threw some bandwidth livestreaming gameplay.

Like I said in my earlier post, I am pretty damn sure ultimate is available. You just need to call cox, and talk to a rep who knows what there doing. I have been very pleased with my ultimate speed increase from 50/5 to 100/20, which happen about two months ago. I wish they would increase the caps a bit also, but I haven't went over the cap yet. If that happens, I hope cox doesn't become anal over it. As I would be disappointed, and I understand enforcing there cap if a customer is affecting other customer's. I don't however agree with harassing a customer just for going over the cap a bit.

Optimus2357
Premium
join:2010-11-21
West Warwick, RI
reply to Vio

Anyone I might know? Im a huge SC2 and LoL fan and watch alot of streams on Twitch. Also if the caps get in the way, and money isn't as big of a issue, you could look into getting a Business Account. No caps. Dedicated IP's for your gaming rig too.

Expand your moderator at work

Vio

Chesapeake, VA

1 edit
reply to Optimus2357

Re: [VA] Cox Ultimate Availability...

said by Optimus2357:

Anyone I might know? Im a huge SC2 and LoL fan and watch alot of streams on Twitch. Also if the caps get in the way, and money isn't as big of a issue, you could look into getting a Business Account. No caps. Dedicated IP's for your gaming rig too.

I stream fighting games mostly, probably Dota 2 soon as well. My stream can be found at »www.twitch.tv/vi0leNc3 or (more simply) »www.violence.name

I don't think I'll have to worry about caps as I can't stream every single day because of my work schedule, and even with the rate I stream now, I come nowhere near my Preferred bandwidth cap. So, I think I'll be fine as far as caps go.

-edit-

Made the call to Cox today, I'll be upgraded to Ultimate on Monday, thanks for the info guys.

lilstone87

Portsmouth, VA

Good to hear, hopefully thing's go smooth for you monday, and your enjoying your new ultimate speed's.

Hallo lisa Aus Amerika
Premium
join:2001-08-31
Byron, GA
reply to Vio

said by Vio:

I stream fighting games mostly, probably Dota 2 soon as well. My stream can be found at »www.twitch.tv/vi0leNc3 or (more simply) »www.violence.name

Poor streaming bump the bit rate on xsplit to 2500 1080p.
my stream is flawless i wont give you my twitch stream bacuse of rude people on theses forums that will stalk me sorry.,