uniqs
share rss forum feed

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
join:2001-05-31
Greenwich, CT
kudos:1

[Parts Check] Which motherboard should I get?

Heh I just gave up my LGA775 system since a friend's mobo just went out on him. Well I need a mobo now for sure and these are the two I've looked at so far.

ASUS P8Z77-V

But they have like 5 or so different versions of the board.

MSI Z77A-G45 thunderbolt

»www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···13130665

I really don't want to spend more then $150 if really possible.
--
It's NOT Ni-kon It's NE-KON!

LG is NOT Lifes Good It's Lucky Goldstar!

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
join:2001-11-22
NanoParticle
kudos:5

Don't forget that people need to know YOUR needs out of the board, sure, they can say "such and such is better" but it helps to have criteria.

Keep in mind that MSI board has no legacy PCI slots that I can see. It does have the nice control/LED block connector that makes install easier. Personally, I like MSI stuff, on my one warranty claim a couple years ago they replaced, not fixed, but replaced, a video card.

Also that board has 2 SATA 6 on it, not 4 as some more expensive boards. If you are planning on SSDs, keep this in mind.

Also, the RAM slots are edge to edge, so RAM will be spaced close together.

I am sure there are plenty of other observations, but I'm not as smart as many others here are...
--
Join Teams Helix and Discovery. Rest in Peace, Leonard David Smith, my best friend, you are missed badly! Rest in peace, Pop, glad our last years were good. Please pray for Colin, he has ependymoma, a brain cancer, donate to a children's Hospital.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT

Well I don't need PCI anymore, I did not notice that about the sata port thing, the ram thing does not bother me.. matter of fact most boards I've seen has the ram set up this way.

csiemers

join:2000-09-16
Portland, OR
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Subaru

I just got a ASUS P8Z77-V 2 weeks ago and it is working great.
I loaded it up with:
16GB RAM
i7-3770
Antec Kueler H2O 60 liquid cooler

I have over clocked it to 4.2 Ghz really easily.
--
»www.caryontech.com

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT

I was looking at this one as well, the more I think about it thunderbolt is not going to be any use for me since hardly anything is on the market for it.

»www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···13131848

norwegian
Premium
join:2005-02-15
Outback

I'd forget about Thunderbolt altogether if you only want to spend $150. For the fruit you might want, it is best leaving that one option out, otherwise costs for the Thunderbolt will offset something you might need or prefer and won't have as an option.

But more on what it is for might help.

--
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing - Edmund Burke

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT

Yeah as of right now I don't see anything worth getting thunderbolt for so that's good.

System is mixed for gaming and some video editing, the rest of my hardware I know what I need it's just the motherboard since I haven't really followed up on it since I had my 755 system

El Quintron
Resident Mouth Breather
Premium
join:2008-04-28
Etobicoke, ON
kudos:4
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to Subaru

I have a P8Z77-V,

I'm very happy with it (other than the missing Thurderbolt that was supposed to be made eventually available via add-in card, which may or may not happen) I had to RMA it due to intermittent boot and they replaced without hassle. So I can vouch for Asus, but I have no experience with MSI.

EQ
--
Support Bacteria -- It's the Only Culture Some People Have

norwegian
Premium
Outback
reply to Subaru

Also, what sort of dollars are you looking at? Reason being, I'm wondering if you need to save a few pennies, why not stick to a Z68 chipset? Something like this:
»www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···13131790
»www.asus.com.au/Motherboards/Int···68V_PRO/

You get a solid known motherboard including Intel LAN chipset etc.

Maybe others can add why spending a little more for a Z77 system is worth it, but for me that Z68 motherboard has a good solid mix of parts. Going Z77 for that price will no doubt make you miss out on an Intel LAN chipset and other small differences.
--
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing - Edmund Burke

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT

Yeah but I think the Z68 chipsets are midrage boards? I need something that will last at least 4 years.. not saying the other one wont but it's nice to have some extra cushion.

norwegian
Premium
Outback

1 recommendation

Not at all, the Z68 was the predecessor to the Z77 and they both have very similar options. All the computers an IT mate had used that particular board. The Z77 was not enough of an upgrade for Z68 owners to update to. It is just the latest and greatest. I'm sure the Z68 would be fine.

I'd wait till others offer assistance and their experiences though. It is an option though if you want to keep costs down and still have usability.
--

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit
kudos:12
reply to Subaru

What CPU?

I'm partial towards Asrock and EVGA. Avoid Asus mobos unless you want to deal with a shitty RMA process. I've had MSI boards die on me and take with them the HDD and ram (may have been the PSU, but the PSU still worked afterwards, sooo...)
--
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit
reply to Subaru

said by Subaru:

Yeah but I think the Z68 chipsets are midrage boards? I need something that will last at least 4 years.. not saying the other one wont but it's nice to have some extra cushion.

Z68 are for Sandy Bridge CPUs, Z77 is for Ivy Bridge CPUs. Some Z68 may work with Ivy Bridge with a bios update.
--
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT

said by Krisnatharok:

said by Subaru:

Z68 are for Sandy Bridge CPUs, Z77 is for Ivy Bridge CPUs. Some Z68 may work with Ivy Bridge with a bios update.

Well looking over at newegg the Z68 is pretty much close in price to the Z77 so..
--
It's NOT Ni-kon It's NE-KON!

LG is NOT Lifes Good It's Lucky Goldstar!

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT
reply to Krisnatharok

said by Krisnatharok:

What CPU?

I'm partial towards Asrock and EVGA. Avoid Asus mobos unless you want to deal with a shitty RMA process. I've had MSI boards die on me and take with them the HDD and ram (may have been the PSU, but the PSU still worked afterwards, sooo...)

i5-3470

norwegian
Premium
Outback
reply to Krisnatharok

said by Krisnatharok:

The board mentioned is fine with that cpu i5-3470 on bios 3402.

norwegian
Premium
Outback
reply to Subaru

said by Subaru:

said by Krisnatharok:

What CPU?

i5-3470

With an ivy cpu then I guess better to start with a Z77, however check to see the little things, like Intel network chipset versus Realtek chipset. Power phase design on the motherboard etc.

Asus are fine too for what it is worth, but I'll admit support can be "arrogant" if that is the correct word. How many here have returned ASUS over other board makers and you can count the difference? I think they are all the same.

For the costs though, Asrock and Gigabyte are the better for price and features together if that is what is required for this build.
--

norwegian
Premium
Outback
reply to Subaru

If you don't mind a Broadcom LAN chipset:
»www.asrock.com/mb/overview.asp?c···Extreme6
»www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···13157295

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT

I've looked at that brand before but did not know if most liked it.. I know with that Asus thread around here it seems like support is a little lacking.. but I haven't had to call so far.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit

1 recommendation

There's no reason to get Z68 at this point, it's an obsolete board for a discontinued chip (Sandy Bridge / i-Core 2000s). The minimum on a Z77 will always be at least equal to the minimum on a Z68, and likely much better since, Z77 has native USB 3.0, PCIe 3.0, native 1600 mhz ram, and better Virtu MVP performance with an Ivy Bridge CPU.
--