All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
geokilla
join:2010-10-04
North York, ON

geokilla to morisato

to morisato

Re: [Cable] Youtube lags at night still, upgrade cache servers?

What's the point of these Google cache servers? Does that mean there are Twitch cache servers too?

I never had problems with YouTube except for this one night.
Sanek
join:2006-08-10
Kanata, ON

Sanek

said by geokilla:

What's the point of these Google cache servers? Does that mean there are Twitch cache servers too?

They take the load off YouTube and save TSI money by staying within their network.

rodjames
Premium Member
join:2010-06-19

rodjames to geokilla

Premium Member

to geokilla
Twitch has it's own CDN, yes. It's not integrated into Teksavvy's network but they do provide multiple POP's on the Twitch/JTV network.
geokilla
join:2010-10-04
North York, ON

geokilla to Sanek

to Sanek
said by Sanek:

said by geokilla:

They take the load off YouTube and save TSI money by staying within their network.

So it saves the videos onto Teksavvy's servers?
Sanek
join:2006-08-10
Kanata, ON

Sanek

said by geokilla:

said by Sanek:

said by geokilla:

So it saves the videos onto Teksavvy's servers?

As I understand it, they are Google servers, but on Teksavvy network. To answer your question - basically it caches videos for a certain period of time, returning content to you without going to YouTube. The more popular the video is, the longer it's cached.

I also noticed that archived twitch.tv videos have some buffering issues lately - no problems with the live streams. Is Teksavvy caching those as well (would be different servers) or is that a twitch issue?

If this is properly maintained, it helps google by lowering the load on their main servers. Helps Teksavvy by staying within its network (so I assume it drastically lowers the network costs). Helps users by providing popular content faster (or at least it's suppose to) by essentially shortening the path packets need to travel.

All in all a pretty good thing for everyone - in theory and if it's maintained properly.
JMJimmy
join:2008-07-23

JMJimmy

TSI better not be caching anything themselves... goes against the spirit of network neutrality.

TSI Marc
Premium Member
join:2006-06-23
Chatham, ON

TSI Marc

Premium Member

said by JMJimmy:

TSI better not be caching anything themselves... goes against the spirit of network neutrality.

Definitely not.