uniqs
Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

Mele20

Premium Member

IM notification acting wacky

IM notification is acting wacky. I see the flashing envelope when on postlist/all page but the envelope and names of those with new IMs to me disappears on forum pages. Then it reappears again on postlist/all wen I go to that page again, but only shows one IM waiting although I have not yet read any of the new ones. IM notification has been acting strangely for about a week now.

state
stress magnet
Mod
join:2002-02-08
Purgatory

state

Mod

Have you tried clearing your browsers cache or doing a shift-reload to force a fresh page load?
Mele20
Premium Member
Hilo, HI

Mele20

Premium Member

Cache is disabled on Fx 10.0.12 ESR.

The problem mostly happens when there is more than one IM waiting.

state
stress magnet
Mod
join:2002-02-08
Purgatory

state

Mod

Do you have any other browsers you can test with to determine if it's either browser or account related?
Mele20
Premium Member
Hilo, HI

Mele20

Premium Member

Yes. I can use Opera 12, IE 10 or SeaMonkey 2.15 and SM would be different from Fx 10 ESR as its code is shared with Fx 18 not Fx 10 which goes unsupported sometime in February. Next time I see an IM envelope, I'll switch to another browser before I open them and move around the site and see if there are any oddities or not. It is possible that it is something with Fx 10 as it is nearing end of life. I've been too overwhelmed with all the new stuff with Windows 8 to want to upgrade Fx as the upgrade will be a big one in some ways...such as loss of builtiin Profile Manager that I use a lot).
Mele20

Mele20

Premium Member

I tried Opera when I saw IM enevelopes while on Fx (just immediately switched to Opera) and I left the envelope there and wandered around the site and the envelope (two different folks with IMs they sent) never disappeared. I finally opened one IM on Opera and the other one was still there (the notification) for me to open.

But tonight, different story. I had three IMs waiting for me this afternoon. Two from one person. I read the one that was from other person and it was too long to read until I opened the IM history page for that person. This was on Fx. I left that tab open when I left my home a little while later. I didn't reply to the IM. I still had two from another person waiting to be read. So, I just got home and brought up that tab and no envelope at the top of the page. This has happened many times recently. I don't think it was always this way (but my memory is not what it used to be so ....) anyhow, there is no indication that there are two messages I have not yet read. Is that because I left the tab open to the history of the other person who sent an IM and I read that IM ON THE HISTORY PAGE NOT FROM THE LITTLE BOX AT THE TOP (because it was too long)?

It seems that every time I get several IMs waiting for me, and these are chatty folks both of them (I am chatty too), frequently I have to go to the person's history page to read the entire IM. When I do that the IMs from anyone else still waiting to be read SOMETIMES disappear from the top but not always. This is usually on Fx because that is my default browser. Then this afternoon, they were still waiting at the top of the page, (unread with the envelope), when I left the house. I got home and the notification was gone. It's not on Opera either yet I have NOT read the two IMs from the other member.
Mele20

4 edits

Mele20

Premium Member

This is getting worse! I have been using Opera this evening. No IM notifications. I just switched back to Fx. No IM notifications. I went to IM History so I could reply to the IM I read this afternoon but had no time then to reply. I found several MORE IMs from this same person.
I am going to stop using that mini IM at the top of the page. It is too misleading. It looks like what happened was that I clicked on the member name and the IM was too long to read there so I switched to IM history and read it there this afternoon and then left the house. When I got home this evening there was no flashing envelope at the top of the page. The system had NOT informed me that there were FOUR IMs from this person. So, I thought there was only the one that opened in the little box that was too long to read there. I did NOT notice when I went to IM history page that there were SEVERAL more NEW ones from that same member. I was in a hurry. But what if when I got back, I had not gone to IM History in order to reply to the one I did read this afternoon? I would never have known there were more UNread ones!

That little box IM thingy should be done away with. It is way too buggy, I wasn't informed that there were more than one IM from this member unread and only the last one sent was shown in the little box and NO WAY to know there were more from this person UNREAD and sent about the same time as the last one. The first unread IM that was sent from this person should be the one that shows in the little box..not the last one sent! That's another bug regarding the little box. And since the system did not notify me that there were 3 unread IMs from this person that made it worse. If I had been notified there were that many, I would not have attempted to read any in the little box but would have gone to IM history instead and looked for 3 IMs that were unread from this member.

IM has gotten unreliable here since that box thingy was introduced. Plus, if you click on the envelope when there are IMs from more than one person ALL IM notification is deleted although clicking on the envelope only shows the last unread one. Also, when more than one IM is waiting from several people the number of unread IMs is usually missing or incorrect.

Oh, it is always the SECOND or THIRD person that has sent IMs that I have not yet read where the system messes up and does not inform me of how many IMs are waiting from that member. Today, the first member who sent two IMs the system handled them correctly and showed his user name at the top of the page and (2) next to his name indicating two unread IMs from him. The second person who sent IMs, and whose name was next to the first user's name, the system did not indicate that there were 3 IMs waiting. I have noticed this happening repeatedly for quite awhile but I don't think every time but most of the time. System is ok if there are IMs just from one person waiting, or just one IM from the second or third person, but when multiple IMs are waiting from a second or third person system usually messes up or my browsers mess up...something messes up.