Tell me more x
, there is a new speed test available. Give it a try, leave feedback!
dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

and..

Been awhile since Charter increased speeds

Dec 2011 Express from 12 Mbps to 15 Mbps, Plus from 18 Mbps to 30 Mbps, Ultra from 60 Mbps to 100 Mbps

Feb 2011 Express from 8 Mbps to 12 Mbps, Plus from 16 Mbps to 18 Mbps

March 2010 Express from 5 Mbps to 8 Mbps, Plus from 10 Mbps to 16 Mbps

Feb 2009 adds Ultra 60 Mbps tier

Feb 2008 Express from 3 Mbps to 5 Mbps, 10 Mbps Plus added

Kn1gh7

join:2011-07-22
Sharpsburg, GA
I just hope they at least upgrade the upload speeds. Right now, they're way to slow.

duffman45200

join:2010-09-20
Upgrade 30/4 to a speed similar to Comcast's 50/10 and I wouldn't complain. They just need to get upstream channel bonding going.

zed260
Premium
join:2011-11-11
Cleveland, TN
Reviews:
·Charter
said by duffman45200:

Upgrade 30/4 to a speed similar to Comcast's 50/10 and I wouldn't complain. They just need to get upstream channel bonding going.

upstream channel bonding is active in most markets according to charter bissniss

sittin_tech

join:2004-04-13
Rochester, MN
kudos:2
reply to anon anon
)
Now charter offers 30M or 100M. If you want a speed increase, you can call in and change your package.

anon anon

@charter.com
reply to zed260
)
said by zed260:

upstream channel bonding is active in most markets according to charter bissniss

Ok so why is the upstream light on our modems still green instead of blue?

Razoul

join:2012-10-09
Crestline, CA
No upstream bonding here yet either. It bugs me too, all green lights except for upstream on my eMTA, which is amber and sticks out like a sore thumb.

BlakePaulson

join:2008-08-06
Alexandria, MN
Reviews:
·Charter
·T-Mobile US
reply to sittin_tech
)
said by sittin_tech:

Now charter offers 30M or 100M. If you want a speed increase, you can call in and change your package.

Sure... just pay the $200 "upgrade" charge and you're set!

Also, if you want faster upstream, there's no way to do so. 30/4 or 100/5

Pretty stupid in my opinion!

cork1958
Cork
Premium
join:2000-02-26
Don't forget that increased Service Computerized Fee, that just recently went up also.

»Change of service computerized fee
--
The Firefox alternative.
»www.mozilla.org/projects ··· amonkey/

miscposter

@charter.com
reply to anon anon
)
said by anon anon :

Dec 2011 Express from 12 Mbps to 15 Mbps, Plus from 18 Mbps to 30 Mbps, Ultra from 60 Mbps to 100 Mbps

You are forgetting that in mid 2012 15Mbps was upgraded to 30Mbps. So, it really has not been that long. (47.99 + 7.00 = 54.99 for 15Mbps now 49.99 + 0.00 for 30Mbps (second number is modem rental, which they no longer charge.))

Metatron2008
Premium
join:2008-09-02
united state
Uh no, express vanished in mid 2012...

anon anon

@charter.com
reply to miscposter
)
said by miscposter :

said by anon anon :

You are forgetting that in mid 2012 15Mbps was upgraded to 30Mbps.

Actually I posted when the speed increases occured. Trust me I looked it up. 15 meg wasn't increased, it was eliminated. 15 meg was Express which no longer exists.

and..
reply to cork1958
)
The computerized service fee is if you don't pay your bill on time and your account has a pending order on it to shut your tv/internet service off and you call in, make a payment and the pending order is cancelled. Your account is automatically billed $2.99 for it. Other than that if you call in to make a change to your account and pay the bill otherwise, it's still $1.99. There's been a lot of confusion around that.

Phatty

join:2000-05-10
Saint Louis, MO
reply to anon anon
)
I don't think the average user cares about faster downstream. I feel like 20-30mb is a good number to be at, upstream should be increased and caps should either go away or be increased.

BlakePaulson

Alexandria, MN
Reviews:
·Charter
·T-Mobile US
I think the average user would like to lower their bill.

I'm still on a promo until may so I've got 15/3 right now. Perfectly speedy, does everything I need, no caps (at least enforced) as our node doesn't appear to be oversold.

I don't care for 30/4 internet... I'd be happy with 10/2 or even 10/1 for $25 a month but 30/4 for $49.99 a month... c'mon

We all see it for what it is... a pure money grab. With the lower tiers people who didn't use the internet much were paying little amounts. Now people who barely use the internet are paying almost $50 a month just to have internet (not like there's any real competition around here.)

It's stupid but it is what it is I guess.

JimE
Premium
join:2003-06-11
Belleville, IL
Reviews:
·Charter
said by BlakePaulson:

I'm still on a promo until may so I've got 15/3 right now. Perfectly speedy, does everything I need, no caps (at least enforced) as our node doesn't appear to be oversold.

I don't care for 30/4 internet... I'd be happy with 10/2 or even 10/1 for $25 a month but 30/4 for $49.99 a month... c'mon

We all see it for what it is... a pure money grab. With the lower tiers people who didn't use the internet much were paying little amounts. Now people who barely use the internet are paying almost $50 a month just to have internet (not like there's any real competition around here.)

And that's perfectly understandable. But it doesn't apply to anyone that's interested in speed upgrades.

And those of us that do want more than 15/3, 30 or 100 is plenty fast for download, it's the upload that has a greater affect on everyone.
--
Google is your Friend

anon anon

@charter.com
reply to BlakePaulson
)
said by BlakePaulson:

Gee a business trying to make money. Shocking. Listen this is beating a dead horse. If offering a lower tier plan for $30 will make Charter more money they will do it. If they offer a $30 plan and half their 30 meg plan customers drop down to the lower plan then Cahrter LOSES money A LOT of money. WHY would a business do that? What is the inentive? You wouldn't do it if you owned a business now would you? Of course not.

As I said if a lower speed tier brings in more revenue then yeah it will be done. But you have to ask yourself, will it? Are enough for 3 Meg and 15 meg customers leaving that having a $30 plan brings them back and doesn't canibalize their 30 emg customer base? I can't answer that and neither can anyone posting here.

At the end of the day no company is obligated to do something just to be nice. Sounds harsh but it's the truth.

In my area at&t offers 1.5 Mbps for $28 or 3 Mbps for $33. So would a 2 Mbps tier for $30 satisfy you? I think not. Even though it's competitive with what at&t offers.

zed260
Premium
join:2011-11-11
Cleveland, TN
Reviews:
·Charter
reply to anon anon
)
said by anon anon :

said by zed260:

Ok so why is the upstream light on our modems still green instead of blue?

because its limited to business only

for what its wroth i bet charter launches internet tiers similer to current business ones soon

namely a 50/5 tier

will be added

mmainprize

join:2001-12-06
Houghton Lake, MI
Reviews:
·Charter
reply to anon anon
)
said by anon anon :

said by BlakePaulson:

Gee a business trying to make money. Shocking. Listen this is beating a dead horse. If offering a lower tier plan for $30 will make Charter more money they will do it. If they offer a $30 plan and half their 30 meg plan customers drop down to the lower plan then Cahrter LOSES money A LOT of money. WHY would a business do that? What is the inentive? You wouldn't do it if you owned a business now would you? Of course not.

As I said if a lower speed tier brings in more revenue then yeah it will be done. But you have to ask yourself, will it? Are enough for 3 Meg and 15 meg customers leaving that having a $30 plan brings them back and doesn't canibalize their 30 emg customer base? I can't answer that and neither can anyone posting here.

At the end of the day no company is obligated to do something just to be nice. Sounds harsh but it's the truth.

In my area at&t offers 1.5 Mbps for $28 or 3 Mbps for $33. So would a 2 Mbps tier for $30 satisfy you? I think not. Even though it's competitive with what at&t offers.

We3ll you keep thinging that way while many customer drop internet altogether.
For that same $50 bucks you can get Phone and Data service over wireless. For the customer that want internet at home also a low price tier would be fine.

Your logic just proves his point of a money grab.

cork1958
Cork
Premium
join:2000-02-26
reply to orth
)
said by orth :

The computerized service fee is if you don't pay your bill on time and your account has a pending order on it to shut your tv/internet service off and you call in, make a payment and the pending order is cancelled. Your account is automatically billed $2.99 for it. Other than that if you call in to make a change to your account and pay the bill otherwise, it's still $1.99. There's been a lot of confusion around that.

No, that IS NOT how it works. That fee is for ANY AND EVERY change you make to your existing account.

"Charter is informing customers that a dubious fee will be getting slightly more dubious during 2013. As it stands, Charter automatically charges users a $1.99 "Service Computerized Fee" should customers make any changes to their service, be it to change programming packages, or downgrade/upgrade your broadband speeds. Users in our Charter forum note they're being informed the fee will now be jumping from $2 to $3 for every change."

»Charter Hikes 'Service Computerized Fee'
--
The Firefox alternative.
»www.mozilla.org/projects ··· amonkey/

anon anon

@charter.com
reply to mmainprize
)
said by mmainprize:

For that same $50 bucks you can get Phone and Data service over wireless. For the customer that want internet at home also a low price tier would be fine.

WHERE?

and..
reply to cork1958
)
And it also states "The fee is not listed on Charter's site listing of fees, and users say it's often inconsistently applied." Again, this is not the fee you are thinking of.

Also the "change of service computerized fee" used to be named the "service restoration fee" which is where all this confusion is coming into play. Sadly that article is incorrect. Trust me on this, as someone on the inside at Charter, this isn't the $1.99 payment by phone fee everyone thinks it is.

BlakePaulson

Alexandria, MN
Reviews:
·Charter
·T-Mobile US
reply to anon anon
)
said by anon anon :

said by mmainprize:

WHERE?

He's talking about over cell phone. If I didn't watch so much netflix and hulu I wouldn't even need home internet because most of my usage is done on a phone anyway...

Yes, I can switch to centurylink and pay for 1.5 or 3 meg internet.

The thing is that charter used to offer lower packages for a lower price, or contracts to keep things at a decent rate.

Charter has the ability to offer lower bandwidth, for a lower price, and make more money than they currently make off of us at the $49.99 price (IE they can offer slower speeds, lower caps, and make good money.)

Instead they're losing customers who will pay ANYTHING less than $49.99 for internet because they don't care about speeds (IE grandma's, older folks.) They aren't going to pay $49.99 just to check the weather. If someone else has a lower price, even if it's just a few dollars cheaper, why pay that extra when they won't need it?

So instead of charter making some money on these types of customers by offering lower tiers, charter is making no money.

Kind of stupid when you think of how inexpensive it is to actually provide bandwidth. Maybe one day they'll get it.

anon anon

@charter.com
said by BlakePaulson:

He's talking about over cell phone.

You're not getting it for $50. And they have extremely low caps and high overages.

The thing is that charter used to offer lower packages for a lower price, or contracts to keep things at a decent rate.

And Big Macs used to be a quarter.

Charter has the ability to offer lower bandwidth, for a lower price, and make more money than they currently make off of us at the $49.99 price (IE they can offer slower speeds, lower caps, and make good money.)

You have inside knowledge of Chater's finances? And unless you have a ton of Charter stock you don't have any skin in the game to say what "good money" is for Charter.

Instead they're losing customers who will pay ANYTHING less than $49.99 for internet because they don't care about speeds (IE grandma's, older folks.) They aren't going to pay $49.99 just to check the weather. If someone else has a lower price, even if it's just a few dollars cheaper, why pay that extra when they won't need it?

So instead of charter making some money on these types of customers by offering lower tiers, charter is making no money.

OK say by having a lower tier say $30 they gain 500,000 custoemrs, BUT 1 million go from 30 Meg to the lower tier.

500,000 X $30=$15 million
1,000,000 X-$20 =-$20 million

Charter LOSES $5 million.

Now even if you assume it's only 500,000 then Charter would gain $5 million. But that's gross income not NET. Charter's net income could be next to nothing. In other words not worth the hassel. Once again Charter has these numbers not me or you.

Kind of stupid when you think of how inexpensive it is to actually provide bandwidth. Maybe one day they'll get it.

If they are making more money the way they do it now it's not stupid. As I said if offering a lower tier is better financially they will do it. I'm not sure what is so hard to get. I guess we'll see when their quartely report comes out.

Balplanman

join:2006-08-30
Newtown, CT
kudos:1
As you say, you don't have numbers. Assuming that Charter has reliable numbers is also speculation on your part. It could just as well be a seat of the pants decision by the new leader to make his mark.

In November 2012 our 2 year deal with Charter ran out so rates were going from $117 to $147 for TV and internet. Charter was hard nosed about this increase. We moved to Uverse for $108. Two months later Charter called and offered a deal for a similar price (but fewer TV channels). Based on this, my guess is that Charter is getting some pushback from people like me who have an option.

Charter loses a lot more when a customer drops them than when a customer changes tiers - seems like they should notice when some customers have options, especially when a customer comes to their office and shows them those options (as I did).

With Uverse we upgraded the number of TV channels considerably but lowered the internet from 15/3 to 12/1.5 at a monthly total of $108.

Internet seems about the same, Vonage phone works better(clearer audio), TV has more channels, DVR is easier to use. So far we're happy -- time will tell if it was a good move but the cost difference made it hard to resist. We weren't unhappy with Charter's service, just the cost.

duffman45200

join:2010-09-20
reply to anon anon
)
Nothing on this? Any of the Charter techs lurking have any info to leak on speed increases?

ToxicDrew
Premium
join:2001-09-24
I had a chatty tech over two days ago and he told me my area was going to be upgraded to 4 channel upstream bonding and 120meg soon. Can't say if he was just talking BS.
--
dream your dreams with open eyes and make them come true...

Kn1gh7

join:2011-07-22
Sharpsburg, GA

1 edit
said by ToxicDrew:

I had a chatty tech over two days ago and he told me my area was going to be upgraded to 4 channel upstream bonding and 120meg soon. Can't say if he was just talking BS.

And what area would that be you speak of?

ToxicDrew
Premium
join:2001-09-24
Sorry i'm in Western Massachusetts.

Jazzemt

join:2009-02-12
USA
reply to ToxicDrew
)
Three channel for upstream and 8 for downstream is around the corner.