uniqs

anon anon
@charter.com

anon anon to mmainprize

Anon

to mmainprize

Re: Been awhile since Charter increased speeds

said by mmainprize:

For that same $50 bucks you can get Phone and Data service over wireless. For the customer that want internet at home also a low price tier would be fine.

WHERE?

Orth
@charter.com

Orth to cork1958

Anon

to cork1958
And it also states "The fee is not listed on Charter's site listing of fees, and users say it's often inconsistently applied." Again, this is not the fee you are thinking of.

Also the "change of service computerized fee" used to be named the "service restoration fee" which is where all this confusion is coming into play. Sadly that article is incorrect. Trust me on this, as someone on the inside at Charter, this isn't the $1.99 payment by phone fee everyone thinks it is.
BlakePaulson
join:2008-08-06
Alexandria, MN

BlakePaulson to anon anon

to anon anon
said by anon anon :

said by mmainprize:

For that same $50 bucks you can get Phone and Data service over wireless. For the customer that want internet at home also a low price tier would be fine.

WHERE?

He's talking about over cell phone. If I didn't watch so much netflix and hulu I wouldn't even need home internet because most of my usage is done on a phone anyway...

Yes, I can switch to centurylink and pay for 1.5 or 3 meg internet.

The thing is that charter used to offer lower packages for a lower price, or contracts to keep things at a decent rate.

Charter has the ability to offer lower bandwidth, for a lower price, and make more money than they currently make off of us at the $49.99 price (IE they can offer slower speeds, lower caps, and make good money.)

Instead they're losing customers who will pay ANYTHING less than $49.99 for internet because they don't care about speeds (IE grandma's, older folks.) They aren't going to pay $49.99 just to check the weather. If someone else has a lower price, even if it's just a few dollars cheaper, why pay that extra when they won't need it?

So instead of charter making some money on these types of customers by offering lower tiers, charter is making no money.

Kind of stupid when you think of how inexpensive it is to actually provide bandwidth. Maybe one day they'll get it.

anon anon
@charter.com

anon anon

Anon

said by BlakePaulson:

He's talking about over cell phone.

You're not getting it for $50. And they have extremely low caps and high overages.

The thing is that charter used to offer lower packages for a lower price, or contracts to keep things at a decent rate.

And Big Macs used to be a quarter.

Charter has the ability to offer lower bandwidth, for a lower price, and make more money than they currently make off of us at the $49.99 price (IE they can offer slower speeds, lower caps, and make good money.)

You have inside knowledge of Chater's finances? And unless you have a ton of Charter stock you don't have any skin in the game to say what "good money" is for Charter.

Instead they're losing customers who will pay ANYTHING less than $49.99 for internet because they don't care about speeds (IE grandma's, older folks.) They aren't going to pay $49.99 just to check the weather. If someone else has a lower price, even if it's just a few dollars cheaper, why pay that extra when they won't need it?

So instead of charter making some money on these types of customers by offering lower tiers, charter is making no money.

OK say by having a lower tier say $30 they gain 500,000 custoemrs, BUT 1 million go from 30 Meg to the lower tier.

500,000 X $30=$15 million
1,000,000 X-$20 =-$20 million

Charter LOSES $5 million.

Now even if you assume it's only 500,000 then Charter would gain $5 million. But that's gross income not NET. Charter's net income could be next to nothing. In other words not worth the hassel. Once again Charter has these numbers not me or you.

Kind of stupid when you think of how inexpensive it is to actually provide bandwidth. Maybe one day they'll get it.

If they are making more money the way they do it now it's not stupid. As I said if offering a lower tier is better financially they will do it. I'm not sure what is so hard to get. I guess we'll see when their quartely report comes out.
Balplanman
join:2006-08-30
Newtown, CT

Balplanman

As you say, you don't have numbers. Assuming that Charter has reliable numbers is also speculation on your part. It could just as well be a seat of the pants decision by the new leader to make his mark.

In November 2012 our 2 year deal with Charter ran out so rates were going from $117 to $147 for TV and internet. Charter was hard nosed about this increase. We moved to Uverse for $108. Two months later Charter called and offered a deal for a similar price (but fewer TV channels). Based on this, my guess is that Charter is getting some pushback from people like me who have an option.

Charter loses a lot more when a customer drops them than when a customer changes tiers - seems like they should notice when some customers have options, especially when a customer comes to their office and shows them those options (as I did).

With Uverse we upgraded the number of TV channels considerably but lowered the internet from 15/3 to 12/1.5 at a monthly total of $108.

Internet seems about the same, Vonage phone works better(clearer audio), TV has more channels, DVR is easier to use. So far we're happy -- time will tell if it was a good move but the cost difference made it hard to resist. We weren't unhappy with Charter's service, just the cost.
duffman45200
join:2010-09-20

duffman45200 to anon anon

to anon anon
Nothing on this? Any of the Charter techs lurking have any info to leak on speed increases?

ToxicDrew
Premium Member
join:2001-09-24

ToxicDrew

Premium Member

I had a chatty tech over two days ago and he told me my area was going to be upgraded to 4 channel upstream bonding and 120meg soon. Can't say if he was just talking BS.

martsing
join:2011-07-22
Sharpsburg, GA

1 edit

martsing

said by ToxicDrew:

I had a chatty tech over two days ago and he told me my area was going to be upgraded to 4 channel upstream bonding and 120meg soon. Can't say if he was just talking BS.

And what area would that be you speak of?

ToxicDrew
Premium Member
join:2001-09-24

ToxicDrew

Premium Member

Sorry i'm in Western Massachusetts.
Jazzemt
join:2009-02-12
USA

Jazzemt to ToxicDrew

to ToxicDrew
Three channel for upstream and 8 for downstream is around the corner.

mmainprize
join:2001-12-06
Houghton Lake, MI

mmainprize to anon anon

to anon anon
said by anon anon :

said by mmainprize:

WHERE?

ANYWHERE, it is wireless.

Just watch some TV you will see the ads, now that half of all channel time is ads.

cork1958
Cork
Premium Member
join:2000-02-26

cork1958 to Orth

Premium Member

to Orth
said by Orth :

And it also states "The fee is not listed on Charter's site listing of fees, and users say it's often inconsistently applied." Again, this is not the fee you are thinking of.

Also the "change of service computerized fee" used to be named the "service restoration fee" which is where all this confusion is coming into play. Sadly that article is incorrect. Trust me on this, as someone on the inside at Charter, this isn't the $1.99 payment by phone fee everyone thinks it is.

You don't have a clue as to what you're talking about whether you're on the "inside" or not!

This fee applies to you CHANGING ANYTHING with your account, plain and simple! You can get it removed if you complain though.

I know the folks on the phone are usually dumber than a box of rocks, but I JUST called TWICE and that is EXACTLY what I was told.

It applies when you increase, decrease, add or subtract ANY service. Heck, it probably applies even if you change from paper billing to paperless, knowing Charter.
cork1958

cork1958 to anon anon

Premium Member

to anon anon
Can't reply!

Edit:
Hmm? It worked that time.

anon anon
@charter.com

anon anon to mmainprize

Anon

to mmainprize
said by mmainprize:

said by anon anon :

said by mmainprize:

WHERE?

ANYWHERE, it is wireless.

Just watch some TV you will see the ads, now that half of all channel time is ads.

You can 4G LTE speeds and at least 250 GB cap for $50 a month AND cell service. Who has this now? What cell company is this?
anon anon

anon anon to Balplanman

Anon

to Balplanman
said by Balplanman:

As you say, you don't have numbers. Assuming that Charter has reliable numbers is also speculation on your part. It could just as well be a seat of the pants decision by the new leader to make his mark.

In November 2012 our 2 year deal with Charter ran out so rates were going from $117 to $147 for TV and internet. Charter was hard nosed about this increase. We moved to Uverse for $108. Two months later Charter called and offered a deal for a similar price (but fewer TV channels). Based on this, my guess is that Charter is getting some pushback from people like me who have an option.

Charter loses a lot more when a customer drops them than when a customer changes tiers - seems like they should notice when some customers have options, especially when a customer comes to their office and shows them those options (as I did).

With Uverse we upgraded the number of TV channels considerably but lowered the internet from 15/3 to 12/1.5 at a monthly total of $108.

Internet seems about the same, Vonage phone works better(clearer audio), TV has more channels, DVR is easier to use. So far we're happy -- time will tell if it was a good move but the cost difference made it hard to resist. We weren't unhappy with Charter's service, just the cost.

So what you are saying you had a 2 year promo which you KNEW would end because after all it's a "2 YEAR" promo so it's kind of obvious it has a time limit. But now despite this knowledge for 2 years you are upset Charter doesn't continue to give you a PROMO price forever? If I was Charter I'd stop doing promos all together since the large amount of customers that don't seem to understand the definition of PROMO.

Burger King has a promo for a month where Whoppers are 55 cents. When the promo ends I don't see any outrage that they don't continue to selll Whoppers for that price. I wonder why the disconnect?

cork1958
Cork
Premium Member
join:2000-02-26

cork1958

Premium Member

For once I agree with you, as we all know who you are, anon anon!

I wish Charter would quit doing promo's also. I always figured if they can do those prices for anyone for 2 years, as they obviously must not be losing money on the deal, why not just make that the regular price for everyone for 2 years WITHOUT raising prices twice a year?!

Never have played that promo hopping game with them myself, but now that they have such limited choices on HSI, I might could start considering playing that ISP hopping game!
duffman45200

duffman45200 to Jazzemt

to Jazzemt
said by Jazzemt:

Hoping this is true
15444104 (banned)
join:2012-06-11

15444104 (banned)

Missing the point.

People aren't as upset about the promo price ending as much as the fact that there is NO less expensive Charter alternative tier of service if you can't or do not want to pay the high price for that 30mb plan.

KoRnGtL15
Premium Member
join:2007-01-04
Grants Pass, OR

KoRnGtL15 to duffman45200

Premium Member

to duffman45200

If true. Will this require a new modem? I have a Ubee U10C035
said by duffman45200:

said by Jazzemt:

Hoping this is true

duffman45200

duffman45200

said by KoRnGtL15:

If true. Will this require a new modem? I have a Ubee U10C035

said by duffman45200:

said by Jazzemt:

Hoping this is true

That modem would be fine if they did a 50/10 or something along those lines. It would really only be needed for anything more than the 100 MB package. I think the max for each downstream channel is in the 30-40 range, not sure about each upstream but either way a 4x4 modem should be able to support at least a 120/20 connection

KoRnGtL15
Premium Member
Grants Pass, OR

KoRnGtL15

Premium Member

I am currently on the 100mb/5mb tier. That is why I am curious if my current modem would support those new speeds.
said by duffman45200:

That modem would be fine if they did a 50/10 or something along those lines. It would really only be needed for anything more than the 100 MB package. I think the max for each downstream channel is in the 30-40 range, not sure about each upstream but either way a 4x4 modem should be able to support at least a 120/20 connection

duffman45200

duffman45200

said by KoRnGtL15:

I am currently on the 100mb/5mb tier. That is why I am curious if my current modem would support those new speeds.

said by duffman45200:

I think max downstream for 4x4 modems is around 150

Metatron2008
You're it
Premium Member
join:2008-09-02
united state

Metatron2008

Premium Member

I believe the ubee's that charter gave out support 8x4..

KoRnGtL15
Premium Member
Grants Pass, OR

KoRnGtL15

Premium Member

Just looked up specs. Nope. :/

DOCSIS 3.0 CM with 4 Downstream + 4 upstream bonding

»www.ubeeinteractive.com/ ··· /u10c035

anon anon
@charter.com

anon anon to 15444104

Anon

to 15444104

Re: Missing the point.

said by 15444104:

People aren't as upset about the promo price ending as much as the fact that there is NO less expensive Charter alternative tier of service if you can't or do not want to pay the high price for that 30mb plan.

No actually they are mad about promo pricing not being permanent. If Charter brought back the 3 Meg tier for $25 and it's 100 GB cap, that might be ok for you, but people used to 30 meg and higher caps would still be upset their pricing went form $30 to $50. They would not be interrested in 3 Mbps.

Most( not all, but most ) Charter customers solely worried about pricing not speed do have other choices.
duffman45200

duffman45200 to Metatron2008

to Metatron2008

said by Metatron2008:

I moved in August (and added TV) and therefore had to get a modem from charter. Then one they gave me was a ubee ddm352 which is a 8x4.

KoRnGtL15
Premium Member
Grants Pass, OR

KoRnGtL15

Premium Member

I wonder if my local office is handing those out now? Might have to go down there since the modem is free now.
said by duffman45200:

said by Metatron2008:

I moved in August (and added TV) and therefore had to get a modem from charter. Then one they gave me was a ubee ddm352 which is a 8x4.

Balplanman
join:2006-08-30
Newtown, CT

Balplanman to anon anon

to anon anon
We live 1 mile from the Charter office so for near 15 years we've been going there when our promo runs out and they've given us a new promo deal. The employees told us that was how things worked so we did it. Most of this time Charter was the only option.

Last time around there was a Uverse option, which I pointed out, but they said they could no longer offer promo rates. So, rather than accept a 26% increase we changed to Uverse and got a 7% decrease. From my perspective this was purely a business decision - I wasn't upset or outraged.

A few weeks later Charter called and offered the same rate we are getting for Uverse and also offered to cover the ATT contract cancellation fee if we returned as a customer. This week I received a Charter promo offer in the mail with even better rates.

My post was simply a response to your description of how Charter would lose money by offering promos to existing customers. To me, it seems clear that Charter would have done better by offering me a promo when I asked. The offers they've made since support this.

To extend your 55 cent Whopper example, I'd expect it to be difficult to make sales after raising the price of Whoppers to 80 cents when customers can get a Big Mac for 50 cents

anon anon
@charter.com

anon anon

Anon

said by Balplanman:

Last time around there was a Uverse option, which I pointed out, but they said they could no longer offer promo rates. So, rather than accept a 26% increase we changed to Uverse and got a 7% decrease. From my perspective this was purely a business decision - I wasn't upset or outraged.

Sure and you realize your U-verse pricing was also a promotion and when that ended you would not get that extended.

Fact is in my area 12 Mbps U-verse is $48 a month( non promo ) and 18 Mbps Uverse( if you can get it ) is $53 a month. Sorry Charter's 30 meg for $50 is better than either. Why would I pay $3 MORE per month for 40% LESS speed? And a $2 per month savings isn't worth a 60% reduction in speed either.

A few weeks later Charter called and offered the same rate we are getting for Uverse and also offered to cover the ATT contract cancellation fee if we returned as a customer. This week I received a Charter promo offer in the mail with even better rates.

A few weeks? Well of course. After 30 days of not being a customer you are eligble for promo pricing again. You didn't get special treatment. Charter had had that policy for YEARS.

GENERAL DISCLAIMER©2013 Charter Communications, Inc. Offers are valid for a limited time only, to qualifying residential customers who have not subscribed to applicable services within the previous 30 days and have no outstanding obligation to Charter. Standard rates apply after promotion.

My post was simply a response to your description of how Charter would lose money by offering promos to existing customers. To me, it seems clear that Charter would have done better by offering me a promo when I asked. The offers they've made since support this.

Nope, because most people won't do what you do and will just deal with the price increase.

OK say you have 100 customers getting $30 promo That's $3000 a month for those 100 customers. Now say promo ends and the price goes back up to $50. Now let's say 30% of those customers leave. Charter still has 70 customers paying $50 a month which is $3500. A 17% INCREASE in income.

And even if 40% left you'd be at the same $3000 but Charter is better off because they have 40% less customers to deal with which means reduced costs. Now it's doubtful 30% will leave let alone 40%.

To extend your 55 cent Whopper example, I'd expect it to be difficult to make sales after raising the price of Whoppers to 80 cents when customers can get a Big Mac for 50 cents

Except Burger King raised the price back to $3 not 80 cents and they still sell well.

norton
join:2005-08-03
Howard City, MI

norton to Balplanman

to Balplanman
++