J E F F4
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium Member
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON

J E F F4

Premium Member

Idea's for call forwarding.

I'm looking to call-forward to two phone numbers, both in the same province and city. My idea is basically to save on long distance IF and when I make these calls from cellular. So I suppose I would need two virtual phone numbers that would be local to me. Where would I go looking for best rates? Roughly it might be 2 to 3 hours a month to the one number, 20 or so minutes to the other...I can add unlimited North America (Canada/USA) to my cell phone for $11/month, so being the cheap jerk that I am, saving anything less than that is a waste of time..

thx
Dan_voip
join:2007-01-03
Saint-Hubert, QC

Dan_voip

The only thing I can say is Einstein was right.
What calls do you plan to forward? Call forward, from what I know, is for incoming calls who are redirected to a different number.
If you are looking to call from your cell a local number and from here to be able to dial LD check callback option from voip.ms.
lilarry
Premium Member
join:2010-04-06

lilarry to J E F F4

Premium Member

to J E F F4
Have you considered using a Voip.ms DISA? Get a local Voip.ms DID and route it to a DISA (you can do this on their Portal). When you call the Voip.ms DID the DISA will then enable you to enter any number and make the call at Voip.ms rates. You'll have to pay for both inbound minutes to Voip..ms and outbound minutes to the number you're calling - same as forwarding but with the flexibility of being able to call anywhere. From the usage level you describe, the whole thing will cost way less than $11.
nitzan
Premium Member
join:2008-02-27

nitzan to J E F F4

Premium Member

to J E F F4
Which rate center (city)? some providers may have calling card access numbers local to you which would make this very, very cheap.

crazyk4952
Premium Member
join:2002-02-04
united state

crazyk4952 to J E F F4

Premium Member

to J E F F4
This sounds like what localphone is all about. It looks like they charge $0.01/min for most of Canada.

»www.localphone.com/

J E F F4
Premium Member
Kitchener, ON

J E F F4 to lilarry

Premium Member

to lilarry
I ended up with voip.ms and bought a DID for 99 cents/month plus 1 cent per minute .. same price for call forwarding. Process took about 10 minutes from start to finish, tested it and it works as expected. Looks like overall I'll accomplish what I want for $3 or $4 a month max.

Got me thinking though, if more people knew about this service (and others) and could wrap their brains around relatively unused technical words and some minor setting up, they'd learn they could save a boatload of money.

Anyway, I figure the $25 initial charge should last about 8 months or so.

I didn't want a calling card...now I can simply add this new number to my speed dial...and not have to worry about it for a few months....
Stewart
join:2005-07-13

Stewart

said by J E F F4:

I didn't want a calling card...now I can simply add this new number to my speed dial...

You may have misunderstood about Localphone (or Rebtel). They are not (just) calling card services. Once set up, you dial a local number, your case a 519-957-xxxx in Kitchener, and it rings directly to your contact anywhere in the world. For most numbers in Canada you'll pay $0.01/minute. There is no charge for the DID (it's shared among all customers) and no charge for the incoming leg. You could set up a dozen contacts and you would see a different 519-957 for each.

IMO, Localphone is not the best quality nor the most reliable, but is a good value and I'm a satisfied customer. VoIP.ms (based on credible anecdotal evidence; I'm not a customer) seems about the same. (I wonder which company I'm insulting more with that statement.)

OTOH, Rebtel is IMO a class act. I rank them up there with Callcentric (I'm a very satisfied customer of both). (I wonder which company I'm complimenting more with that statement.) To most numbers in Canada, you'll pay $0.015/min.

Both Localphone and Rebtel provide a five-minute free trial at signup, without having to make a payment or provide any financial information.
grand total
join:2005-10-26
Mississauga
·Fido
MikroTik RB750Gr3
MikroTik wAP AC
Panasonic KX-TGP500

grand total to J E F F4

to J E F F4
said by J E F F4:

I ended up with voip.ms and bought a DID for 99 cents/month plus 1 cent per minute .. same price for call forwarding. Process took about 10 minutes from start to finish, tested it and it works as expected. Looks like overall I'll accomplish what I want for $3 or $4 a month max.

Don't forget the cost of the outbound call - are you using premium or value routing?

Since you use 2-3 hours a month going with Anveo and a personal unlimited plan would have made more sense cost wise (and quality wise in my experience) assuming it's for personal use and not business use.

Cheaper than either would have been Localphone.

J E F F4
Premium Member
Kitchener, ON

J E F F4 to Stewart

Premium Member

to Stewart
I'll look back into it again, I only did one number so far but need to do a second.

Okay..looked back into it, so I set up the second number that way...

I should have looked deeper into this plan, might be a bit better...though does it only work from the one phone you call from??
J E F F4

J E F F4

Premium Member

Answered my own question..yes you can.

Pretty need service...
J E F F4

J E F F4 to grand total

Premium Member

to grand total
There is a difference between the two (voip.ms) and localphone. voip.ms is a number you own, localphone is more like a switchboard since that number is shared with other people. (so all the phones I would use need to be registered for it to work)

I'm out $30, I'll see which one works best.
grand total
join:2005-10-26
Mississauga
·Fido
MikroTik RB750Gr3
MikroTik wAP AC
Panasonic KX-TGP500

grand total

said by J E F F4:

There is a difference between the two (voip.ms) and localphone. voip.ms is a number you own, localphone is more like a switchboard since that number is shared with other people. (so all the phones I would use need to be registered for it to work)

True, but being a cheapskate sometimes takes a little work.