spc
Search similar:

uniqs
stiki
join:2010-01-25

stiki

dsl modem died - re-evaluating teksavvy options

Hi guys,

Well after 5+ years my trusty 2wire adsl modem/router died today. It just seems to be showing a red light when I turn it on and I don't hear any relay noises. It appears that even the switch portion of it doesn't work cause windows is reporting no connection.

Anyway I was wondering what I should do now. The easiest thing would be to just buy a new modem and go on with my current plan.
Is this modem any good or do you have some other recommendations? »www.ncix.com/products/?s ··· P%20Link
( It seems weird that I bought the 2wire for around $20 5 years ago and it came with 4 ports and wifi. Today it seems the cheapest modem I can get is $20 and they have no features)

I am still on the 6Mb dsl dryloop plan with teksavvy. Haven't really seen a need to upgrade and was reluctant to with the line change fee. I was thinking of instead of getting a new modem maybe I should ditch dsl and go with cable. I remember a couple years back lots of cable customers were bitching about congestion - have those problems gone away? ( I am living in a condo downtown TO around University/Richmond ). Any caveats I should be aware of when going from dsl to cable?

I am currently paying around $45 taxes in for 6mb + dry loop. It looks for around that price I can get 18Mb cable. Are there any hidden charges with cable and do you need to pay extra if you don't have TV? What would be the wait time for me to get a cable install going?

Thanks

jmck
formerly 'shaded'
join:2010-10-02
Ottawa, ON

jmck

I'm not sure if it would be worth buying a new DSL modem since you can't use them on the newer DSL speeds from Bell right now.

As for cable/congestion issues I don't believe there are any these days on Rogers land for the most part. Ironically the TSI DSL network has been congested for a while now because of lack of capacity from Bell.

No extra fees for Cable, even if you don't pay for TV service. A Rogers tech will come out and install the service and remove any filters or reconnect your cable since you don't have TV service.
skyR
join:2007-01-14
Toronto, ON

skyR

said by jmck:

I'm not sure if it would be worth buying a new DSL modem since you can't use them on the newer DSL speeds from Bell right now.

As for cable/congestion issues I don't believe there are any these days on Rogers land for the most part. Ironically the TSI DSL network has been congested for a while now because of lack of capacity from Bell.

No extra fees for Cable, even if you don't pay for TV service. A Rogers tech will come out and install the service and remove any filters or reconnect your cable since you don't have TV service.

Not sure what you're talking about since Teksavvy doesn't offer any VDSL plans except for the 25/10. And I haven't had any congestion problems with Teksavvy... maybe you're talking about VDSL specifically or a specific area.

ChuckcZar
@teksavvy.com

ChuckcZar to stiki

Anon

to stiki
If you ask around maybe you can get an adsl modem for free. Many people are throwing good ones into the garbage as they're obsolete now.

MacGyver

join:2001-10-14
Vancouver, BC

MacGyver to stiki

to stiki
The TP Link modems are fine and you can't go wrong for $20. Scoring a 2wire five years ago for $20 was a steal.
stiki
join:2010-01-25

stiki to ChuckcZar

to ChuckcZar
said by ChuckcZar :

If you ask around maybe you can get an adsl modem for free. Many people are throwing good ones into the garbage as they're obsolete now.

If anyone in the Toronto area has an extra dsl modem that they want to get rid of I would gladly take it off their hands

MFido
Montreal
join:2012-10-19

MFido

check kijiji.ca

Fed Up
join:2007-02-19
m4m2v

2 edits

Fed Up to stiki

to stiki
Had this same modem until I made the switch to cable. Paid $20 many years ago also. I even used it briefly as a router only after the cable modem but it died also last summer as you describe.

In my research I read that the modem not making it beyond the red power light then restarting was due to the power adapter crapping out. It would not maintain 2.2 amps under load anymore.

You might want to try a new adapter first. I think d-link router adapters were suggested as good replacements as the can meet the 2.0 amp requirement and are the correct voltage (adapter is 5.1V, 2.2A and modem is listed as 5.1V, 2A. I have not tried yet as my old d-link is at my parents and my 2-wire now sits in a drawer collecting dust.

Worth a try if you still like that modem. Might have to switch the connector on the end of the adapter.

Although for the package price, I am very happy with the cable and to be completely bhell free. Went the voip route as well. You might want to consider the switch.

mau108
Mau
Premium Member
join:2001-10-07
Thornhill, ON

mau108 to stiki

Premium Member

to stiki
a customer of mine's 2wire (white one that bell gives out) died couple weeks back with the same fate (red light).

Must be a common problem.

toro
join:2006-01-27
Scarborough, ON

toro to stiki

to stiki
Might be the power adapter, I've seen that several times with the 2Wire modems. If you're close to Sayal (Victoria Park / McNicoll) they sell some 5V/2A adapters with the right plug for the 2Wire modem for around $1.99

jmck
formerly 'shaded'
join:2010-10-02
Ottawa, ON

jmck to skyR

to skyR
said by skyR:

said by jmck:

Not sure what you're talking about since Teksavvy doesn't offer any VDSL plans except for the 25/10. And I haven't had any congestion problems with Teksavvy... maybe you're talking about VDSL specifically or a specific area.

»[DSL] Network congestion tonight?

the relevant stuff is in the last 3 pages, more capacity coming soon it seems.

TSILiz
Premium Member
join:2012-08-20

TSILiz to stiki

Premium Member

to stiki
Hi There,

If you would like cost breakdown of switching to cable feel free to message us in the direct forum with your address.

nanook
MVM
join:2007-12-02

nanook to stiki

MVM

to stiki
said by stiki:

Hi guys,

Well after 5+ years my trusty 2wire adsl modem/router died today. It just seems to be showing a red light when I turn it on and I don't hear any relay noises. It appears that even the switch portion of it doesn't work cause windows is reporting no connection.

Anyway I was wondering what I should do now. The easiest thing would be to just buy a new modem and go on with my current plan.
Is this modem any good or do you have some other recommendations?

I just replaced my 5+ year old $20(*) 2Wire 2701HG-B with Newegg.ca - TP-LINK TD-W8961ND 300Mbps Wireless N ADSL2+ Modem Router for ~$50. This model includes a 4-port wired/WiFi router, just like the 2Wire. There's also a $40 model that's only rated at 150Mb/s 802.11n at Canada Computers: TP-LINK TD-W8951ND, 150Mbps Wireless N ADSL2+ Modem Router

(*) For those wondering about that price, at the time AT&T/SBC were unloading returned/refurbished 2701HG-Bs. There were several stores, including Canada Computers, and eBay merchants that were selling these for $20 to $30. That was a steal of a deal considering that Thompson ST-516 modems alone were selling for $50, as were Linksys WRT54G routers.

The 2701HG-B, unlike the modems Bhell was supplying at the time, were unlocked. That meant they could be used with an upstart ISP by the name of (guess who?) Teksavvy.

Mike2009
join:2009-01-13
Ottawa, ON
TP-Link Archer C7
Technicolor DCM476
Grandstream HT701

Mike2009

Here's the original longstanding thread discussing the 2wires.I learned a lot about dsl from this thread and the speedtouch group buy thread.

»2Wire 2700HG DSL modem Refurb 24.99 @ Canadacomputers