how-to block ads

Search Topic:
share rss forum feed

warlock56
Premium
join:2002-07-31
Arlington, TX
reply to warlock56

Re: Providers that can offer non-published phone numbers?

I wanted to provide a follow-up for everyone who helped me along in selecting the right provider and hardware.

My Obi100 came in and I also signed up for a Callcentric account with a new phone number for testing. I'll port my existing number later on, but I finally managed to get things working and made a test call and it sounds great. Of course I'm going to test it a little more in-depth this weekend, especially tweaking my firewall on exactly what traffic I want going to it.

This leads me to another question about the Obi100's activity. Since all my traffic routes through my firewall, I was monitoring what sort of stuff it was doing.

Now according to Callcentric's own web page here:
»www.callcentric.com/faq/9

At the bottom they say to keep ports 5060-5080 open to 204.11.192.0/24. Ok, no problem there. I also had to open up DNS so the device could do lookups...no biggie. Well here's the thing, I started seeing other hosts it was talking to. Maybe you can help me determine if this is legit or needs to be locked down.

204.236.134.243 - Amazon. Why is it talking to Amazon?

216.171.120.36 - Wireless Time Company. Ok, I can see the NTP usage here, but I specifically input time.nist.gov and saw no traffic going to that address. What's up here?
--
The moment the idea is admitted into society, that property is not as sacred as the laws of God, and that there is not a force of law and public justice to protect it, anarchy and tyranny commence. -John Adams, 1787

PX Eliezer7
Premium
join:2008-08-09
Hutt River
kudos:13
Reviews:
·callwithus
·voip.ms

The 204.236.134.243 is OBI.
»www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=1895.0

The 216.171.120.36 is a US Government recognized time server.
»tf.nist.gov/tf-cgi/servers.cgi