urbanriot
Premium
join:2004-10-18
Canada
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Cogeco Cable

New Scam??? Text bots.

For the past week I've been getting random text messages from numbers I don't recognize trying to flirt with me, similar to those spambots on Live Messenger that try to get you to spend money on sex chats or whatever...

I figured it was just me until another parent I was speaking to mentioned that his 14 year old daughter was getting texts from some dude in the US who wanted to meet online. A week later someone else said they were getting weird texts from what they think are US numbers.

I've had spam texts before once in a blue moon but not like this. Anyone else getting these?

Juggernaut
Irreverent or irrelevant?
Premium
join:2006-09-05
Kelowna, BC
kudos:2
I've never received them. However, I do have Premium services texts blocked with a Rogers SOC. You may want to check with your provider to make sure those are not chargeable.

Damn spammers...
--
"I fear the day that technology will surpass our human interaction. The world will have a generation of idiots." ~ Albert Einstein

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones
Premium,ExMod 2002
join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON
kudos:2
reply to urbanriot
said by urbanriot:

For the past week I've been getting random text messages from numbers I don't recognize trying to flirt with me, similar to those spambots on Live Messenger that try to get you to spend money on sex chats or whatever...

I figured it was just me until another parent I was speaking to mentioned that his 14 year old daughter was getting texts from some dude in the US who wanted to meet online. A week later someone else said they were getting weird texts from what they think are US numbers.

I've had spam texts before once in a blue moon but not like this. Anyone else getting these?

Yes, I got a couple. I just ignore them.
--
Need-based health care not greed-based health care.

urbanriot
Premium
join:2004-10-18
Canada
kudos:3
I made the mistake of replying once and that's when I realized it was a bot since the response came immediately and wasn't a specific response to what I wrote.

I'm sure they'd be chargeable if I wasn't on a dataplan with unlimited texts.

Paolo
Mr. Wireless

join:2004-05-29
canada
if its from a 10 digit number its not a premium message, its just a spam they buy a pay as u go sim card in the usa and spam ppl with it till it gets killed and do it again and again over and over thats those you win an i pod or i pad text messages. lately they been stopping.
--
Happiness is like peeing your pants... Everyone can see it, but only you can feel its Warmth!!