uniqs
share rss forum feed

daveinpoway
Premium
join:2006-07-03
Poway, CA
kudos:2

Programmer secretly outsourced his job to Chinese firm

"A US programmer working on critical infrastructure secretly outsourced most of his highly-paid and security-sensitive job to Chinese programmers while he surfed eBay, updated his Facebook profile and watched videos of cats, Verizon has reported.

The story sounds as incredible as it must have been serious – but read on because there is a final twist.":

»news.techworld.com/security/3420···wsletter

tomdlgns
Premium
join:2003-03-21
Chicago, IL
kudos:1
i read that the other day, good post.

daveinpoway
Premium
Poway, CA
I wonder how he ever thought up this scheme in the first place. He definitely deserves an A+ for creativity!

scross

join:2002-09-13
Cordova, TN
reply to daveinpoway
I suspect that this will become all kinds of ugly for him! He may turn out to be an integral pawn (or an active participant) in the worldwide Chinese computer espionage ring that has been active for years now, the extent of which and details of which are only now really coming to light. He's probably not the only one doing something like this, either.

OHN

join:2003-02-05
Appleton, WI
kudos:1
reply to daveinpoway
I have heard of first hand of people doing the same. Sub contracting the work they got to india and such.

daveinpoway
Premium
Poway, CA
He must have more money than he needs and/or watching cat videos is REALLY important to him, since he paid the Chinese folks $50,000 (not a small sum) to perform his programming tasks.

scross

join:2002-09-13
Cordova, TN
At least one of the sources notes that he was pulling this same charade on multiple companies at the same time, to the tune of several hundred thousand dollars a year.

HELLFIRE
Premium
join:2009-11-25
kudos:18
reply to daveinpoway
Read the story in the Security forum. Just for chuckles, did the conversion between the two currencies.

»www.xe.com/ucc/convert/?Amount=5···D&To=CNY

311K renmenbi annually?! What's the going rate in China for this kind of work? Almost wish I could
do this to my job.... Almost.

Regards

FiReSTaRT
Premium
join:2010-02-26
Canada
You guys can imagine what this practice will do to the local job market if it spreads sufficiently. The Bobs were the first to feel it.