how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

chiefjim

join:2000-11-12
Universal City, TX

[iO] Using TiVo

I recently had to swap out a dead SA-8300HD. While troubleshooting I stumbled upon postings discussing the relative merits of using TiVo instead of an Optimum supplied DVR. Such as being able to offload recorded TV shows to your home computer.

That generates a concern which is the basis for posting here. All the software mentioned was for either PC or MAC. What about those of us with Linux? Any chance there are .deb packages available somewhere?

RickNY
Premium
join:2000-11-02
Farmingville, NY
Reviews:
·Optimum Online

1 recommendation

Not really the place to ask this, but yes...

»code.google.com/p/kmttg/ KMTTG is Java-based and works on Linux for transfring recordings, edit out commercials, etc...

pyTivo can be used as a media server to serve content to your Tivo boxes...

There is a lot of stuff out there.

mbernste
Boosted
Premium,MVM
join:2001-06-30
Piscataway, NJ
reply to chiefjim
While I haven't used the Linux version, I have used PyTivo and KMTTG on my Mac and they work great. I never had an issue with KMTTG removing the ads and PyTiVo is great for moving recordings back to the TiVo. Keep in mind that some channels like HBO have the copy protect flag turned on for their programming which means that you can't offload that from your TiVo.

chiefjim

join:2000-11-12
Universal City, TX
HBO, Showtime, and such not a factor. I canceled my subscriptions to premium content when I found myself paying for shows that were already on broadcast channels as well.

A friend of mine uses a Mac, would installing KMTTG interfere with a Mac warranty?

Thinkdiff
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY
kudos:11
Mac warranty?

You can install whatever software you want on a Mac.
--
University of Southern California - Fight On!