uniqs
share rss forum feed

DC Denton
Premium
join:2002-06-25
Davenport, FL

Trouble with Solaris 11 + Apache 2.4

Good day all,

I have been charged with setting up a Solaris 11 box with Apache 2.4 with SSL and tomcat 6.
This is a virtual on VMWare ESXi 5 with 2 cores and I believe 6gb allocated to it.

Everything has gone smoothly, I downloaded Apache 2.6, APR and APR-Util, followed the guide to compile, make, and install. It went up alright as a normal http site. I was able to configure vhost for ProxPass as requested by my boss.
I was then requested to set up SSL with a self signed cert. I went through the process, set it up on virtual host 443, as far as I could tell it was going to work. I restarted and nothing. I did a start and it appeared to start for an instant then go away. I suppose it is crashing and not getting to write in the error_log.
I do have a core file which I am lead to believe a core dump. When I run it with -X I do get core dumped error after a few moments.

Could I beg some help on how come with SSL turned on, Apache is crashing? or possibly how to easily read that dump file?

Thank you
--
"When I was a child I spoke as a child I understood as a child I thought as a child; but when I became a man I put away childish things." I Cor. xiii

scrummie02
Bentley
Premium
join:2004-04-16
Arlington, VA

Was apache compiled with SSL and SO support?

DC Denton
Premium
join:2002-06-25
Davenport, FL

I believe it was compiled with SSL support, however I am not sure SO. I misheard the PM and they said "Latest Solaris" and when I went to the customer, it was actually Solaris 10. A bit of misunderstanding.
--
"When I was a child I spoke as a child I understood as a child I thought as a child; but when I became a man I put away childish things." I Cor. xiii

scrummie02
Bentley
Premium
join:2004-04-16
Arlington, VA
reply to DC Denton

What are the log files saying? If it's crashing it should be writing to somewhere. What about messages?
I'd also see if it was compiled with SSL.

leibold
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-09
Sunnyvale, CA
kudos:10
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
reply to DC Denton

Its been a long time since I used solaris, but "file core" might tell you the program that caused the core dump.

A debugger will allow you to get a stack trace at the time of the crash. For dbx (one of the debuggers available on Solaris) the commandline would be: dbx httpd core (use pathnames for the two arguments). The debugger will complain if the exexutable program and the core file don't match. In dbx the command to print a stack trace is "where" which often is all you need. If you don't have dbx try adb (absolute debugger) or mdb (modular debugger).
--
Got some spare cpu cycles ? Join Team Helix or Team Starfire!