how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

FF4m3

@rr.com

Of Netbooks, Tablets And Linux's Revenge

Interesting analysis from H-Online:

IDC forecasts that Microsoft will have just 10% of the worldwide tablet market in 2016. That wouldn't matter much if tablets were likely to be a niche market, but all the signs suggest exactly the opposite: that tablets will soon be more important than desktops for general users.

That is, instead of going into sectors where Microsoft makes a tidy profit from the bundled software, money will be flowing into the pockets of tablet manufacturers – specifically, budget tablet manufacturers.

There are two ironies here. First, that at the heart of Android lies an updated version of exactly the same code that the early netbooks ran; and secondly, the fact that Microsoft's successful attempts to kill off netbooks running free software probably contributed to Android's current success in the tablet market.

Snakeoil
Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium
join:2000-08-05
Mentor, OH
kudos:1

I'm just happy that I have found a good alternative to MS products, without having to pay Apple's prices.

JohnInSJ
Premium
join:2003-09-22
San Jose, CA
reply to FF4m3

So IDC says Microsoft will go from 0 to 10% in 4 years. Based on whatever IDC is smoking this year.

Cool.

This is the same IDC that said Microsoft would have 20% of the smartphone market with windows phone 7, in 2011, right?

Yeah - IDC crystal balls say all kinds of crazy stuff.
--
My place : »www.schettino.us

Maxo
Your tax dollars at work.
Premium,VIP
join:2002-11-04
Tallahassee, FL

said by JohnInSJ:

So IDC says Microsoft will go from 0 to 10% in 4 years. Based on whatever IDC is smoking this year.

I think what is bringing them the numbers isn't a result of what they are smoking. It is the idea that one can predict what the markets will look like in 2016 that came from their wacky-t'backy.

FF4m3

@rr.com
reply to FF4m3

Related:

Morgan Stanley downgrades Microsoft over Win 8, PC market concerns

Will The Surface Pro Help Resuscitate Microsoft?

Microsoft Corporation: More Evidence That Windows 8 Isn’t Boosting PCs

Snakeoil
Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium
join:2000-08-05
Mentor, OH

Interesting. I have heard many people say they love windows 8, but yet it seems that many don't like windows 8. A few I have read even consider it worse then windows Vista.

I have yet to use a computer* with windows 8 on it, so I am rather curious as to why it's getting a lot of mixed feedback.

*We will be getting two low priced laptops for the kids towards spring [low price being 450 to 550 dollars]. So I'll have a chance to "explore win 8 then I guess.
--
Is a person a failure for doing nothing? Or is he a failure for trying, and not succeeding at what he is attempting to do? What did you fail at today?.

TuxRaiderPen

join:2009-09-19
reply to FF4m3

said by FF4m3 :
Related:

Morgan Stanley downgrades Microsoft over Win 8, PC market concerns

Microsoft Corporation: More Evidence That Windows 8 Isn’t Boosting PCs

Couldn't happen to a better company.

--
1311393600 - Back to Black.....Black....Black....

drjim
Premium,MVM
join:2000-06-13
Long Beach, CA
kudos:3

1 recommendation

reply to Snakeoil

Out of all the people I know who have Windows 8, it's about 70% SUCKS and 30% it's OK.
--
One man's Magic is another man's Engineering.

kleeman
Australian Expat

join:2000-07-29
Nyack, NY
kudos:3
reply to FF4m3

Market forces. Linux/Android is a superior product to Windows and the changing hardware landscape is just exposing this long standing situation to consumers. The key change was that Android backed by Google was able to become established on cheap smartphones. Previous to that an unbacked Linux had trouble becoming widely used on desktops. The large ecosystem in Android followed from this and is why Android is so successful now and into the future. Already Nexus 7 tablets are outselling Ipads in Japan.
--
Aesthetics should be an inspiration not a pair of handcuffs

DarkSithPro

join:2005-02-12
Tempe, AZ
kudos:2
reply to drjim

said by drjim:

Out of all the people I know who have Windows 8, it's about 70% SUCKS and 30% it's OK.

Is it a tablet OS, a desktop OS, or both? Not sure myself.

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County
reply to Snakeoil

Some people like the tiles - those that likely use a smart phone with tiles or a tablet and those that hate the tiles (myself included) that primarily use a PC...

I have seen the tiles on a laptop of a friends and I hate them. They guys wife - has had issues figuring out how to close programs - like Paint. The new Paint looks idiotic and I am not sure I can use it for what I currently use it for... She eventually found a way to close Paint - but it took several steps more than it should. Several programs they can't find anyway to close a program but by using Task Manager.

I am one that I would prefer to not have to use external programs to get functionality I want - like the Start button.

I am waiting for some time to load Win 7 Pro I bought just before Christmas...
--
Brian

"It drops into your stomach like a Abrams's tank.... driven by Rosanne Barr..." A. Bourdain

FiReSTaRT
Premium
join:2010-02-26
Canada
Reviews:
·Velcom

Windows 8 was impossible to do real work in. I know several users (not technophobic by any means) who ended up having to upgrade their new systems to 7 to be able to work (all using niche Windows-only packages or they would have switched over to GNU/Linux on their workstations). I'm almost convinced that Windows 8 was a ploy to boost Windows 7 sales and even if people don't buy 7, they have already paid for a WIndows 8 licence
--
If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange these apples then you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have an idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas.
—George Bernard Shaw

Hayward
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium
join:2000-07-13
Key West, FL
reply to DarkSithPro

said by DarkSithPro:

Is it a tablet OS, a desktop OS, or both? Not sure myself.

Both, but you miss much of its unique functionality on a PC if you don't upgrade to a Touchscreen too.

I have seen a couple of WIN 8 laptops advertised out there that have touchscreens.

I think the tablet version is slimmed down some.
--

dave
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio
kudos:8
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Snakeoil

said by Snakeoil:

so I am rather curious as to why it's getting a lot of mixed feedback.

It IMO pointlessly attempts to combine a touch-device UI with a desktop UI.

My typical desktop system has a couple of 16:9 monitors, has over a dozen open windows all the time [some of them even executing on Linux systems], and the keyboard gets used a lot. I simply don't need a radical paradigm shift.

There surely are better UIs for different devices (touch screen: phones and tablets) than the 'desktop' UI, and for all I know Windows 8 provides that better UI. But the cost is that it worsens the desktop UI I still need.

You can, if you want, assume that I'm an old geezer who can't take change. To that, I say: (a) when I were a lad, we talked to computers by drilling holes in cardboard, so don't talk to me about 'radical UI change' (b) I was probably point'n'clicking on a VAXstation while some here were still on an etch-a-sketch, and (c) I use and like the iPhone UI on a touch screen device.

I am thinking that this Windows might be the first version (in the Windows NT line, not that old DOS-based Win3/Win9x line) that I never buy. Though that will bring its own infrastructure upheavals.

Sorry for the waffling, but I bet you don't get many Windows users in here

JohnInSJ
Premium
San Jose, CA
reply to CylonRed

said by CylonRed:

Some people like the tiles - those that likely use a smart phone with tiles or a tablet and those that hate the tiles (myself included) that primarily use a PC...

I have seen the tiles on a laptop of a friends and I hate them. They guys wife - has had issues figuring out how to close programs - like Paint. The new Paint looks idiotic and I am not sure I can use it for what I currently use it for... She eventually found a way to close Paint - but it took several steps more than it should. Several programs they can't find anyway to close a program but by using Task Manager.

I am one that I would prefer to not have to use external programs to get functionality I want - like the Start button.

I am waiting for some time to load Win 7 Pro I bought just before Christmas...

I take it that they never used a touch screen device? close is drag down from top. not many steps at all
--

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County

They have smart phones but I don't know which ones. Problem is - it is not the least bit intuitive and that is a huge problem for Win 8.
--
Brian

"It drops into your stomach like a Abrams's tank.... driven by Rosanne Barr..." A. Bourdain

ImpldConsent
Under Siege
Premium
join:2001-03-04
Mcdonough, GA
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·magicjack.com
reply to FF4m3

IDC hasn't really submitted the bigger numbers folks are looking for (Consumer Markets, Telecom, Storage). As it relates to the article, Google (+partners) had better come up with a touchscreen of it's Chromebook fairly soon. That's where the market is heading. Take your (iOS/Android/Windows) loving phone/tablet family member and show them a Chromebook. Chances are one of the first things they'll do is get sticky fingerprints on the screen and walk away disappointed. I have heard Samsung venturing into their next Chromebook with touchscreen, just haven't seen it...they might be working in the bendable AMOLED screens.

Linux's Revenge? Maybe. More likely open-source revenge.
--
That's "MISTER" Kafir to you.

Anonymous
Premium
join:2004-06-01
IA
kudos:2
reply to drjim

I wanted to like Win 8. I really did. I tried for about a month but could not get used to the new interface. It seemed to me it was a huge step back and was not as easy to use as the old interface. A friend of mine tried it at a local store and hated it. I didn't think I hated it but once I went back to Win 7 I realized how much I missed it.

If Microsoft wants to get into smartphone and tablet market I have no problems with that. I do have a problem with them pushing a tablet OS on my PC.
--
I speak for myself, not my employer.

JohnInSJ
Premium
San Jose, CA
reply to CylonRed

said by CylonRed:

They have smart phones but I don't know which ones. Problem is - it is not the least bit intuitive and that is a huge problem for Win 8.

That's a qualitative statement. About as useful as the IDC numbers.
--

scrummie02
Bentley
Premium
join:2004-04-16
Arlington, VA
reply to FiReSTaRT

»www.classicshell.net/

No need to downgrade, classic shell got me running in less than five minutes.