Dei Gratina Regina
Mod
join:2001-02-04
N of 49th

Kardinal to BigSensFan

Mod

to BigSensFan

Re: [Hockey] [2013] Ottawa Senators Season Thread

I'll give the Senators a lot of credit for being pesky and scoring four goals for the first time in a long time, but giving up five (a couple of which were soft) I blame on the system breaking down and Bishop missing a couple of them. Not a great game at all defensively, but the offense showed up so I hope that can continue.

.....and I hope Dziurzynski is okay. That was ugly.

dirtyjeffer0
Posers don't use avatars.
Premium Member
join:2002-02-21
London, ON

dirtyjeffer0

Premium Member

very good game for the Sens...i knew it wasn't going to be an "easy game" and was rather surprised when the Leafs were up by 3...i was less surprised by the ending (close game), as that is more how i imagined it would be (hoping the Leafs would be on the winning side, of course).
bt
join:2009-02-26
canada

bt

said by bt:

Less than 30 seconds into the game, Dziurzynski gets his bell rung by Frazer McLaren (well out of his weight class) and needs help off the ice. I fully expect he's done for the night, at least.

Alright, so what I've heard (but I'm at least the 4th degree of separation on this, so grain of salt, etc.) is that Dziurzynski and McLaren knew each other outside of hockey, and there was bad blood between them from a few years ago.

Though McLaren said it was to get the Leafs going:
quote:
“We had a flat start last game. I was just trying to get us going early,” McLaren said of the reason for the fight. “I asked [Dziurzynski if he wanted to fight] and actually he said no and so I didn’t think we were going to go and then he ended up dropping his stuff when the puck dropped. He’s a big guy and he actually gave me a few good ones early there. It was a lucky punch. It happens sometimes.
»sports.nationalpost.com/ ··· rzynski/

dirtyjeffer0
Premium Member
London, ON

dirtyjeffer0

Premium Member

yea, this clip shows the slo-mo replay...just happened to hit the jaw and torque the head...get hit like that, you're going down, i don't care who you are.

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· OB6N-kig
bt
canada

bt to BigSensFan

to BigSensFan
Latendresse is in tonight, Michalek is out. They're calling it a maintenance day.

Lehner gets the start tonight.
bt

bt to BigSensFan

to BigSensFan
Latendresse doesn't waste time, scores on a breakaway (slowest one I've ever seen - Chara was catching up) on his first shift back from injury.

Then Turris puts a nice one in to break his slump - hasn't scored since Jan 25th, but not for lack of trying.

Kardinal
Dei Gratina Regina
Mod
N of 49th

Kardinal to BigSensFan

Mod

to BigSensFan
Not a great play by Lehner on the Thornton goal. Not horrible, but I think he should have had that one. Still, the game is 60 minutes long, not just the moments when the good guys score.
vue666 (banned)
Let's make Canchat better!!!
join:2007-12-07

vue666 (banned)

2-2 after two. Neil knee on hit on Kelly...dirty or accidental?

Kardinal
Dei Gratina Regina
Mod
N of 49th

Kardinal to BigSensFan

Mod

to BigSensFan
It was an unfortunately collision between two players who were had been changing directions because of the play around them. They are *very* good friends and still train together in the off-season -- Neil would never put a dirty hit on Kelly, no matter how pissed off he might be about the hit he took from McQuade earlier in the game. Even Kypreos and MacLean basically agreed that it was a bad situation but it wasn't a fine/suspendable situation.
vue666 (banned)

vue666 (banned)

Interesting move by Daugavins in the shotout....

Kardinal
Dei Gratina Regina
Mod
N of 49th

Kardinal to BigSensFan

Mod

to BigSensFan
It's a pity K-Dawg's move didn't work this time; it did last time.

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· XY_5m7Dg

loosedobbs
join:2006-06-13
Toronto

loosedobbs

said by Kardinal:

It's a pity K-Dawg's move didn't work this time; it did last time.

(youtube clip)

Not bad...But Rask was better.
something different or just childish?
But I like Kane moves in SO.

Why these goals (if at all scored) should be counted?
Is it not goalie interference?
vue666 (banned)

vue666 (banned) to BigSensFan

to BigSensFan
And I thought Patrick Kane was a showoff during the shootouts...LOL

loosedobbs
Toronto

loosedobbs

said by vue666:

And I thought Patrick Kane was a showoff during the shootouts...LOL

lol. so true. But he scores and wins the game.

Kardinal
Dei Gratina Regina
Mod
N of 49th

Kardinal to BigSensFan

Mod

to BigSensFan
Ian Mendes, Ken Warren and others have noted that Neil and Kelly were texting each other last night, and both feel the hit was accidental while they were trying to avoid each other (and they really should have just hit full-on). They are very close friends off the ice, and Kelly still lives in Ottawa in the off season (his first stop on his day with the Cup was CHEO).

The shootout is supposed to be a "spectacle" where players try to score. Which is more exciting: a straight in and try for the top corner, or K-Dawg's move? Yeah, it didn't work this time, but it has before, and there are lots of 'regular shots' that don't work either. If he had scored, there would be no derision for it and everyone would be proclaiming that it was one of the most amazing ever while others would decry it for "taking away from the purity of the game". Newsflash: shootouts take away from the purity of the game. Damned if it worked, damned if it didn't. I have no problem with it at all, and neither did the Paulrus.

loosedobbs
Toronto

loosedobbs to BigSensFan

to BigSensFan
Actually lots of player are impressed with that move. Not Budai or Vokun thought as per TSN video.
bt
canada

bt to BigSensFan

to BigSensFan
Two important wins this weekend, and 6 of 8 points on the week. They certainly can't let off the gas, but it's nice to have some breathing room on the teams behind the Sens.

Kardinal
Dei Gratina Regina
Mod
N of 49th

Kardinal to BigSensFan

Mod

to BigSensFan
It's also great to see Silfverberg, Turris and Z-bad scoring, to say nothing of Wiercioch, Gonchar and Phillips chipping in too. I was happy to see Lehner finally get some W rather than OTL/SOL points. Latendresse is contributing too, which is perhaps the biggest surprise of all.
bt
canada

bt

Yeah, looks like they're finally finding their scoring touch again. 20 goals in the last 6 games. Gonchar is riding a 7 game point streak right now.

Kardinal
Dei Gratina Regina
Mod
N of 49th

Kardinal to BigSensFan

Mod

to BigSensFan
I forgot to mention Eric Gryba. He's another wasn't-supposed-to-be-on-the-big-team-this-year guy who's making a very strong case for himself.

Cowan, Karlsson, Wiercioch, Gryba, Borowiecki, and Phillips. And Ceci to come. I'm really looking forward to what this blue line is going to look like in the next few years.
bt
canada

bt to BigSensFan

to BigSensFan
Michalek opted for surgery, he's now out indefinitely.

Google tells me there is a big spread on arthroscopic surgery recovery time, so he could be back in a few weeks, or out through part of next season depending on a number of factors.

Kardinal
Dei Gratina Regina
Mod
N of 49th

Kardinal

Mod

That's a good decision, rather that trying to play and still having to get the surgery after the season is over. They were talking about it on the radio this morning and Yorkie, who's had a couple of the proceedures that 9MM will be getting done said it's the best decision and he'll feel much better afterwards with a good chance he'll play again this season because he's in such good shape with, in JY's words, "tree trunks for legs".

Sens signed Sdao the other day and he's now in Bingo on an ATO; another big blueline prospect to have a look at.
bt
canada

bt to BigSensFan

to BigSensFan
Marc Methot just went to the dressing room with a noticeable limp. Hopefully nothing serious, but I've not been too hopeful with injuries this season.
bt

bt

Methot won't be back tonight. "Lower body injury"

BigSensFan
Premium Member
join:2003-07-16
Belle River, ON

BigSensFan

Premium Member

Sens were down 3-1 in the 3rd and came back to win 5-3 (empty netter for the 5th goal)

Kardinal
Dei Gratina Regina
Mod
N of 49th

Kardinal

Mod

Kassian with his 1st of the season too.

Methot left the game and didn't return; a lot of speculation on Twitter but I've yet to see anything concrete other than "lower body injury". Like we need another blueliner out of the game.

Hello, Borocop? Pack yer bags, dude.
bt
canada

bt

said by Kardinal:

Hello, Borocop? Pack yer bags, dude.

Word is he's injured.
bt

bt to BigSensFan

to BigSensFan
MacLean has said that Methot might be available tomorrow. Lundin will take his spot if he isn't.

So sounds promising that Methot won't be out very long at all.

Kardinal
Dei Gratina Regina
Mod
N of 49th

Kardinal

Mod

Lundin isn't another Methot, and against the Bruins I don't really like the idea of him, back for his 1st game after a concussion, trying to play a lot of minutes against a very physical team.

dirtyjeffer0
Premium Member
London, ON

dirtyjeffer0

Premium Member

i remember watching Methot when he played for the Knights...good to see him doing well in Ottawa.