HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt to bt

Premium Member

to bt

Re: [Hockey] [2013] Ottawa Senators Season Thread

Those are Vezina numbers if he keeps it up...
bt
join:2009-02-26
canada

bt to BigSensFan

to BigSensFan
Don Cherry
@CoachsCornerCBC
2. Anderson without a doubt is the best goalie in hockey right now

»twitter.com/CoachsCorner ··· 07546368
bt

bt to BigSensFan

to BigSensFan
This is very, very not good:

"Erik (Karlsson) suffered a laceration to his left achilles, which will require surgery to repair. He will be out indefinitely."

They were managing to keep their head above the water without Spezza, but without Karlsson as well...

ZZZZZZZ
Premium Member
join:2001-05-27
PARADISE

ZZZZZZZ

Premium Member

Just heard that........I picked him instead of Thornton in my pools.
bt
canada

bt to BigSensFan

to BigSensFan
Someone got a face-on picture of Karlsson when he was going down. I'll warn you, the expression on his face is difficult to look at for Sens fans.

»pbs.twimg.com/media/BDCA ··· ng:large

HiVolt
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

HiVolt to bt

Premium Member

to bt
Yikes.... but how the hell do you get your achillles cut in a hockey skate?

Kardinal
Dei Gratina Regina
Mod
join:2001-02-04
N of 49th

Kardinal

Mod

Probably above the boot -- tendon goes up several inches from the ankle.

FaxCap
join:2002-05-25
Surrey, BC

FaxCap to BigSensFan

to BigSensFan
Just saw it on TV....man oh man you gotta feel for the guy.

FaxCap

HiVolt
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

yeah i just saw the replay.. above the boot.... yowza...

dirtyjeffer0
Posers don't use avatars.
Premium Member
join:2002-02-21
London, ON

dirtyjeffer0 to FaxCap

Premium Member

to FaxCap
that effin sucks...i hope him the best...Achilles tendon issues can be career ending...hopefully it isn't too bad.
bt
canada

bt to HiVolt

to HiVolt
said by HiVolt:

Yikes.... but how the hell do you get your achillles cut in a hockey skate?

Cooke's blade came in from above the skate.

HiVolt
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

I wonder if this wasnt a dirty intentional play, being Matt Cooke...
bt
canada

bt

It might have been dirty, but I don't think this was his intent. He was either trying to drive Karlsson into the boards, or slewfoot him and it went horribly wrong.

Kardinal
Dei Gratina Regina
Mod
N of 49th

Kardinal to BigSensFan

Mod

to BigSensFan
Here's another pic, from the moment it happened:

»twitter.com/Buccigross/s ··· /photo/1
bt
canada

bt

That's got to be from after the one I posted. Karlsson is on the way down to the ice there.

Kardinal
Dei Gratina Regina
Mod
N of 49th

Kardinal to BigSensFan

Mod

to BigSensFan
#4 scorer in the league last year - out for extended period of time. (Spezza)
#7 scorer in the league last year and current Norris Trophy winner - out for extended period of time. (Karlsson)
Top pairing defenceman - out for the year. (Cowan)

Regin, Latendresse, Michalek are all hurt in Ottawa
Hoffman & Stone hurt in Bingo

This season = over. With Spezza out, the Senators have the youngest set of centres in the league, we've been playing 1/2/3 Bingo blueliners in every game this season, and now were going to see them even more. This team is not going into the post-season this year -- no team in the league would be when losing three of their TOP players for most/all of the season. I don't see Murray making a big trade now, but he's surprised Sens fans in the past so who knows. Ryan O'Reilly? I'm not sure we need another young centre, given that next season we'll have Spezza and Turris for 1 & 2.

Bright side: more ice time for Wiercioch and Benoit, and more chances for Bingo players like Grant, Cowick, Borowiecki and Gryba.
booj
join:2011-02-07
Richmond, ON

booj

said by Kardinal:

This season = over.

I have to agree. I had hope they would make the playoffs until last night. Now I feel like a Leaves fan, I'll I've got left are prayers.

Oh well, time to see how far an AHL team can get by on goaltending and coaching in the NHL.

HiVolt
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

At least you still have a goalie...

ZZZZZZZ
Premium Member
join:2001-05-27
PARADISE

ZZZZZZZ to Kardinal

Premium Member

to Kardinal
Losing Spezza would hurt any team...........losing Karlson is a disaster.

J E F F4
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium Member
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON

J E F F4 to FaxCap

Premium Member

to FaxCap
said by FaxCap:

FaxCap

Looked painful as hell. What a freak injury though...

BigSensFan
Premium Member
join:2003-07-16
Belle River, ON

BigSensFan

Premium Member

said by J E F F4:

said by FaxCap:

FaxCap

Looked painful as hell. What a freak injury though...

I never saw the game or replay of the incident... But there is no reason on this earth for a player to suffer this injury, as there are socks out there that prevent cutting of the leg... former BSens goalie Mike McKenna wears them

Kardinal
Dei Gratina Regina
Mod
N of 49th

Kardinal to HiVolt

Mod

to HiVolt
said by HiVolt:

At least you still have a goalie...

We have three, actually. I don't expect Ben Bishop to be with the organization that much longer though, but I'm not sure what we're going to do with Lehner as he's an asset with a lot of potential but how long he's going to be content to play in Bingo is a big question mark. He's a free agent at the end of next year so by then we'll have to have made a decision on Lehner vs Anderson. Lehner will be wasted as a backup, as he's young and needs to play on a regular basis.

The problem is, goaltending doesn't win you games, it helps you prevent losing them. We're hurt big time on offense, and that's going to be that way for the rest of the year at least. At least we have a lot of potential in Bingo or still in junior.

loosedobbs
join:2006-06-13
Toronto

loosedobbs to BigSensFan

to BigSensFan

Mon Apr 22, 2013

Pittsburgh

Ottawa

7:30 PM ET

I hope Chris Neil don't pull Todd Bertuzzi.
bt
canada

bt to BigSensFan

to BigSensFan
quote:
"Erik had surgery this morning to repair a 70% cut in his achilles. Recovery time is 3-4 months" - #Sens GM Bryan Murray
»twitter.com/NHL_Sens/sta ··· 77585152

HiVolt
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

said by bt:

quote:
"Erik had surgery this morning to repair a 70% cut in his achilles. Recovery time is 3-4 months" - #Sens GM Bryan Murray
»twitter.com/NHL_Sens/sta ··· 77585152

ouch... well thats done for this year for sure...

Kardinal
Dei Gratina Regina
Mod
N of 49th

Kardinal to BigSensFan

Mod

to BigSensFan
Chris Neil plays on the edge, but he's never been suspended for anything. He's not stupid, and knows his role as well as the rules to play within, so I really doubt he'd do anything that daft. In the past four years, the top three Senators players have suffered serious injuries causing absence at the hands of the Penguins:

Alfredsson: shoulder injury via Craig Adams
Spezza: shoulder injury via Kris Letang
Karlsson: 70% cut / lacerated Achilles tendon via Matt Cooke

A trend? It's certainly starting to look like one.

Let's look at it this way: if it had been Crosby, Malkin and Neal who had been hurt, what would the league be thinking of the Senators after causing that sort of damage to one of the NHL's 'darlings'?
bt
canada

bt to HiVolt

to HiVolt
said by HiVolt:

ouch... well thats done for this year for sure...

Unless the Sens go deep in the playoffs. Which would have been tough with Karlsson in the lineup.

dirtyjeffer0
Posers don't use avatars.
Premium Member
join:2002-02-21
London, ON

dirtyjeffer0 to Kardinal

Premium Member

to Kardinal
it could be the season over, but you never know...sometimes, in these times, players get chances they wouldn't otherwise get, so perhaps some great young players start lighting it up in the bigs...as well, if everyone has a mentality of "season over", the pressure is removed, the team can play more loosely and look out...you still need to play smart defensive hockey, but a relaxed loose team with nothing to lose can be dangerous...everyone wrote off LA last year...no need to remind anyone how that turned out.

loosedobbs
join:2006-06-13
Toronto

loosedobbs to Kardinal

to Kardinal
said by Kardinal:

Chris Neil plays on the edge, but he's never been suspended for anything. He's not stupid, and knows his role as well as the rules to play within, so I really doubt he'd do anything that daft. In the past four years, the top three Senators players have suffered serious injuries causing absence at the hands of the Penguins:

Alfredsson: shoulder injury via Craig Adams
Spezza: shoulder injury via Kris Letang
Karlsson: 70% cut / lacerated Achilles tendon via Matt Cooke

A trend? It's certainly starting to look like one.

Let's look at it this way: if it had been Crosby, Malkin and Neal who had been hurt, what would the league be thinking of the Senators after causing that sort of damage to one of the NHL's 'darlings'?

Crosby is also victim like this and was on the verge of losing everything. So the argument "If it was Crosby" is not good. Imagine staying in the room for 2-3 days...in dark...

On other hand Pens team has been hammered by each and every team in the league since Crosby started tearing NHL. Gonchar was also inured by Ovi, which was dirty play. And even Ovi is been suspended for some other dirty hit.

And Neil is a dirty player. He gets away most of the times.
Sens fan, get over it. It is what it is in game.

Kardinal
Dei Gratina Regina
Mod
N of 49th

Kardinal to dirtyjeffer0

Mod

to dirtyjeffer0
said by dirtyjeffer0:

it could be the season over, but you never know...sometimes, in these times, players get chances they wouldn't otherwise get, so perhaps some great young players start lighting it up in the bigs...

Absolutely. We'll get a chance to see more of Patrick Wiercioch, as will everyone else. He's taken a few years but he's really come along this season thanks to a good off-season training regimen with one of his best friends from childhood: Kyle Turris. PW isn't EK, but he's got hands and putting on over 10 pounds of muscle over the summer has made him a more physical defender as well.

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· FbRk01eE

We'll also likely see Borowiecki (pronounced Boar-vee-etzky) some more, and he's a touch defender to play against. Gryba is another who's been maturing and getting ready in the AHL. Up front, injuries have depleted the ranks in Ottawa and Bingo, but once players heal up there we could see Mike Hoffman and/or Shane Prince. We already have Silfverberg and Zibanejad up, so Luke Richardson has been doing a great job developing players and keeping the farm team in the win column most nights. Of course, Lehner helps with that.