uniqs
share rss forum feed

karpodiem
Hail to The Victors
Premium
join:2008-05-20
Detroit, MI

Customer owned eMTA?

Right now I rent an ARRIS TM602G device from WoW, which serves as the VoIP/internet gateway.

I'd like to purchase a Surfboard 6141 and my own eMTA, so I can return the Arris device to WoW. Is this possible? I know Comcast allows customers to purchase eMTA's at Best Buy. Didn't know if WoW supported customer owned eMTA's.

Also, any eMTA model recommendations?

Thanks.

Body Count

join:2010-09-11
Columbus, OH

If you have WOW phone, then you must use their modem. It's stated right on their webpage.

If you do not have WOW phone and you don't have UltraTV then you can use your own modem.

bendover

join:2007-11-23
Glendale Heights, IL
reply to karpodiem

why would you want wow phone? there are lots of voip that are way cheaper,some even 10 bucks a month. i have an old tmobile @home pots adapter and i get unlimited home phone service for 5 bucks a month. to bad the dont still offer @home. only someone who likes to wast money would use a local utility's phone service .

wmcja

@wideopenwest.com

You could argue reliability of voip, or maybe 911, but I don't think that is really any issue anymore as it was a few years ago, plus I don't think you can argue reliability at all when discussing WOW specifically.

On that note, I hear great things about ooma.

Body Count

join:2010-09-11
Columbus, OH
reply to karpodiem

magic jack plus. don't need your computer on to use it. plugs directly into your router. unless your phone is free, this is the cheapest alternative.

slyphoxj

join:2002-06-23
Brook Park, OH
Reviews:
·ObiVoice
·WOW Internet and..
·magicjack.com
·Callcentric

said by Body Count:

magic jack plus. don't need your computer on to use it. plugs directly into your router. unless your phone is free, this is the cheapest alternative.

MagicJack is great... until you get the dreaded "To call a conference line or platform you must purchase... prepaid minutes at magicjack.com..." when you call the hospital where a loved one dying of cancer is or when you suddenly start getting it on a number that you call every day and that always worked fine. There's a clause in the MagicJack TOS that says that MJ can charge you per-minute for "certain conference lines, non-ILEC numbers, ..." .

MagicJack is trash... you get what you pay for . Stick with Ooma or Google Voice if possible.