how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

xenophon

join:2007-09-17

1 edit

TWC produces the content, so..

I don't see why TWC should be forced to offer what they produce to competitors. I don't think ATT Uverse, Charter, and Surewest have TWC MetroSports in KC. If they do, then Google has a case.

TWC hasn't offered a promo direct against Google yet in KC probably because Google is currently only in 2 fiberhoods in KCK. The rollout will pickup this Spring in both KCK and KCMO fiberhoods and will hit heavily in Summer. TWC doesn't need to make a move until most of rollout is going.

I was able to get a better deal with TWC last month or so after I called about an increase and ready to use SureWest as leverage. My hood doesn't get GFiber until Fall. TWC also bumped up my speed tier at lower rate, but that's apparently happening in a few other markets too.

KC metro is ISP/TV heaven right now in areas that have multiple options and GFiber hasn't really kicked into gear yet.

xenophon

join:2007-09-17
BTW, here is the GFiber rollout schedule in both KC's by fiberhood...

KCK...
»fiber.google.com/cities/kck/

KCMO...
»fiber.google.com/cities/kcmo/

ssavoy
Premium
join:2007-08-16
Dallas, PA

1 recommendation

reply to xenophon
I agree, if it's their station I don't see why they have to allow access to competitors.

morbo
Complete Your Transaction

join:2002-01-22
This issue has already been resolved by the FCC in other markets. TWC will be forced to make these stations available to other providers at reasonable terms.

FFH5
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
kudos:5
said by morbo:

This issue has already been resolved by the FCC in other markets. TWC will be forced to make these stations available to other providers at reasonable terms.

And what is REASONABLE terms? Reasonable to Google or to TWC? And when they can't agree, does the FCC or some court set a price?
--
A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves money from the public treasury.

Rangersfan

@sbcglobal.net
reply to xenophon
said by xenophon:

I don't see why TWC should be forced to offer what they produce to competitors. I don't think ATT Uverse, Charter, and Surewest have TWC MetroSports in KC. If they do, then Google has a case.

TWC hasn't offered a promo direct against Google yet in KC probably because Google is currently only in 2 fiberhoods in KCK. The rollout will pickup this Spring in both KCK and KCMO fiberhoods and will hit heavily in Summer. TWC doesn't need to make a move until most of rollout is going.

I was able to get a better deal with TWC last month or so after I called about an increase and ready to use SureWest as leverage. My hood doesn't get GFiber until Fall. TWC also bumped up my speed tier at lower rate, but that's apparently happening in a few other markets too.

KC metro is ISP/TV heaven right now in areas that have multiple options and GFiber hasn't really kicked into gear yet.

I know that AT&T U-verse does not carry MetroSports.

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
Mullica Hill, NJ
kudos:1
reply to xenophon
content creation should be broken off of distribution by the government. If you own the network and the content source of course you are not going to sell content to another MSO.

We forced the movie studios to sell off their theaters when the government basically broke up the studio system. But the FTC has no issues letting cable companies own content sources.
--
[65 Arcanist]Filan(High Elf) Zone: Broadband Reports

whiteshp

join:2002-03-05
Xenia, OH
reply to FFH5
100$ per hour watched would make TWC very happy I'm sure. So if setting their own inflated price is only fair then they could never "officially" cut anyone out of their network shows with high prices?

Happydude32
Premium
join:2005-07-16
reply to Kearnstd
said by Kearnstd:

content creation should be broken off of distribution by the government. If you own the network and the content source of course you are not going to sell content to another MSO.

We forced the movie studios to sell off their theaters when the government basically broke up the studio system. But the FTC has no issues letting cable companies own content sources.

Why? Who are you and/or the government to say what a company can or cannot sell, or be involved in? Whatever happened to the idea of competition? If Google wants access to these NCAA teams so bad, perhaps they should start their own regional sports network and try to lure those schools away from Metro Sports and broadcast on them on their own RSN. If Metro Sports in KC is anything like the RSN Time Warner has here, it shouldnt be too hard. TWs RSN has very poor production values and seems like a very low budget operation. But I guess this is indicative of society and the slow process of the pussification of America. Why actually do something when the government is there for you to cry to and bandage every little boo-boo.

But the big example of this is Comcast Sports Net Philadelphia and the terrestrial loophole, that is now closed. I pray to God that channel never winds up on satellite or the government tries to stick its nose where it doesnt belong and tries to force Comcast into offering it to the competition. There is simply no reason to interfere with a business doing what they should do and maximize profit, so long as lives are not at stake. Too bad they caved to Verizon, but hopefully theyll never cave or be forced to cave to Dish or DirecTV.
--
iPhone: 4” 1136 X 640 Display, 1.30 GHz Dual Core Processor, 1 GB RAM
MyPhone: 5” 1920 X 1080 Display, 1.50 GHz Quad Core Processor, 2 GB RAM
So tell me, why is exactly is the iPhone so great?
Droid Does What Jobs Won’t Let You Do.

skuv

@rr.com
reply to Kearnstd
But why? If I create content and want to distribute it on my own system, why should I be stopped or have to distribute it to others?

It's my content, it differentiates my service from others.

DirecTV signs exclusive NFL deals for Sunday Pass, they don't create that content, but they have an exclusive on it.

What makes that more fair to do than a cable company creating or owning their own content and keeping it exclusive?

They're a private business, they should have that choice.

The content is not a necessity in any way. So why should the government be involved?

Skippy25

join:2000-09-13
Hazelwood, MO
reply to Happydude32
You do realize it is the government that allows a business to be a business right? They can and do tell businesses what, when and in some cases, at what price they can sell something and to whom.

You believing anything else is just pure silliness on your part.

Bugger

@rr.com
reply to skuv
Yeah! I demand that Apple releases an Android version of their Maps app or that my copy of Microsoft Office runs natively in Linux!

Sammer

join:2005-12-22
Canonsburg, PA
reply to Kearnstd
said by Kearnstd:

That was in the past. National Amusements is the majority owner of Viacom including Paramount Pictures. I do agree that allowing the same company to own both content and distribution (vertical integration) does tend to harm consumers.

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
Mullica Hill, NJ
reply to Happydude32
So you think Vertical integration is a good thing for the customer?

The customer is all that matters remember that is the purpose of a business.

And breaking content creation away from distro would increase competition and better serve the customer.

Would you agree if the FTC let Walmart buy General Mills and then make all General Mills cereals exclusive to walmart?
--
[65 Arcanist]Filan(High Elf) Zone: Broadband Reports

TBBroadband

join:2012-10-26
Fremont, OH
reply to morbo
Didn't that "rule" expire last year and was never renewed by the FCC? If so then Google has nothing to stand on. I know of plenty of "local" channels that cable companies have that others can't get; even AT&T.

TBBroadband

join:2012-10-26
Fremont, OH
reply to Kearnstd
WM is already trying that with some brands, along with Kroger.

Happydude32
Premium
join:2005-07-16

1 recommendation

reply to Kearnstd
quote:
So you think Vertical integration is a good thing for the customer?
I never for a second believed that vertical integration is a bad thing. If a business wants to expand what they offer and/or sell, that is their decision. If Comcast wants to own a sports venue, the teams that play in that venue and the channel those teams are broadcast on, that is certainly their right, and more power to them.

Besides I can’t really say I care about the consumer aspect, I’m for big business.

quote:
The customer is all that matters remember that is the purpose of a business.
Incorrect. The purpose of a business is to maximize profit.

quote:
And breaking content creation away from distro would increase competition and better serve the customer.
No, having another company go after the first company, and try to create a better product or service than Company 1, would be best for the consumer.

quote:
Would you agree if the FTC let Walmart buy General Mills and then make all General Mills cereals exclusive to walmart?
Sure, why not?
--
iPhone: 4” 1136 X 640 Display, 1.30 GHz Dual Core Processor, 1 GB RAM
MyPhone: 5” 1920 X 1080 Display, 1.50 GHz Quad Core Processor, 2 GB RAM
So tell me, why is exactly is the iPhone so great?
Droid Does What Jobs Won’t Let You Do.

TuxRaiderPen

join:2009-09-19
reply to TBBroadband
said by TBBroadband:
WM is already trying that with some brands, along with Kroger.
Brands and citation please..... for both WalMart and Krogers

said by Happydude32:
quote:
Sure, why not?

Really you have to ask why... I would let Kroger purchase General Mills before Walmart..hell I'll take a Krogers in my area any day any time... only need to come south about 500 miles...
--
1311393600 - Back to Black.....Black....Black....