koitsu
MVM
join:2002-07-16
Mountain View, CA
Humax BGW320-500

koitsu to Libra

MVM

to Libra

Re: System Event Error NTFS Id 134 - bad hard drive?

said by Libra:

I don't know if this could have anything to do with the problem, but Microsoft was changing things regarding file permissions (giving permission to everyone) on files that have to do with root certificates and deleting a lot of files and I noticed this ntfs error at that point. When I spoke to a second level tech and asked him to fix it he said if I wasn't having a problem I shouldn't look at the error, it's only for techs to troubleshoot.

If you've already engaged Microsoft support directly for this issue, why did you not bring these issues (NTFS errors) to their attention, especially if you think they may have caused it? If you're getting support from the OS vendor, you need to continue to drive that to full completion. No offence intended, but what you've now done is create multiple "support"-type situations -- you've got people on a forum struggling to figure out how to assist you, while you've got Microsoft also helping you (?!) at the same time. The likelihood of efforts being doubled or conflicting is very very high. This does not make me happy and makes me very unlikely to assist in the future.
said by Libra:

I went into admin account and opened an elevated command prompt and typed in CHKDSK /R C: . It asked if I wanted to schedule it next time it reboots, I typed in "y". Nothing happened so I exited and restarted the computer. It said Chkdsk will check volume C. Then it said "The Volume is Clean". I didn't see it check anything and it took about 30 seconds. Did I do something wrong? or is this good news?

You didn't do anything wrong. The filesystem insists it's in good condition. Please continue to drive these issues with Microsoft support exclusively. Thanks.
Libra
Premium Member
join:2003-08-06
USA

1 edit

Libra

Premium Member

I apologize. What happened with Microsoft is I called them to fix a problem. They charged me $99. A first level tech made those changes and said I needed a second level tech. I spoke with the second level tech the following day and he didn't fix the problem I called about and I did tell him and showed him the nfts error and asked him to fix it. He didn't fix it and said if I'm not experiencing any problems to ignore it. He said they look at the event viewer to diagnose problems. So he didn't do anything about this ntfs error although the prior tech caused it. They gave me a credit for the $99.

I did not initially contact Microsoft about the ntfs error. I asked them to fix it the next day and he didn't. Should I call them back to fix it now? (I went into the hospital a day or two after contacting Microsoft, I'm not really feeling that well, but maybe I'll call them.)
They're not really helping me and showed no interest in helping me.

I apologize again - I came to this forum after I read somewhere the ntfs warning could mean a failiing hard drive.

I ran the checkdisk again from tools (checking both items) and it went through 5 stages and said the volume is clean. I guess that means my drive is okay?

EDIT: I found I saw that ntfs warning when I rebooted the computer. The last time I saw it was 1/15 when I ran the HDtune test. So with reboots today I haven't seen the warning at all!

Sincerely, Libra