uniqs

orion940
Attractive like a magnet
Premium Member
join:2001-12-23
Windsor, CT

orion940

Premium Member

[FireFox] Yahoo Mail Issues w/replying, etc.

I ran across the not being able to reply issue in Yahoo Mail with Firefox 18. I've seen articles on clearing cookies, cache, etc. but none of that worked for me. I had to stop Ghostery for that site and it was fine. I put this out because I saw a ton of hits on this, but none with the Ghostery solution. Maybe it will help someone.

It annoys me no end that these assholes have code in there that stop functionality if you have advertising turned off. Target did that, they would not let you shop if you didn't take 3rd party cookies, so I didn't shop .

O.
Gem
Premium Member
join:2005-09-10

Gem

Premium Member

Interesting. I have a similar problem with Firefox 18 and FF 3.6.

For me Yahoo email won't work right until Adblock Plus was disabled.

I also use Ghostery. Disabling that didn't restore Yahoo mail functionality. What get's Yahoo mail working again from also requires disabling Adblock Plus.

see related thread seeking solutions for that Yahoo mail / Firefox problem.

»Now yahoo email won't work in FF with AdBlock Plus enabled

orion940
Attractive like a magnet
Premium Member
Windsor, CT

orion940

Premium Member

On this laptop, the two that Ghostery sees are Right Media and ScoreCard Research Beacon. I will check when I'm back on the desktop. For AdBlockPlus, I'm on 2.2.1 and have EasyList for the subscription. Ghostery is 2.8.4.

O.

hortnut
Huh?
join:2005-09-25
PDX Metro

hortnut to orion940

to orion940
Have FF18, AdblockPlus 2.2.1 with Easylist and Fanboy updated as of today and Ghostery 2.8.4. Yahoo Mail works as always.

Not having any trouble with Yahoo Mail. Only thing reporting being blocked is Right Media by Ghostery.

But then I am still using Yahoo Mail Classic. Been a very long time, but found away to revert back to Classic after trying new yahoo mail for a short time.

hth

chrisretusn
Retired
Premium Member
join:2007-08-13
Philippines

chrisretusn to orion940

Premium Member

to orion940
I do not see a problem in my Yahoo! Mail Accounts. I do not use Ghostery, but I do use Adblock Plus and NoScript. Adblock Plus has Fanboy's Adblock List and EasyList enabled. With NoScript I allow yahoo.com and yimg.com

Ne0teric
@comcast.net

Ne0teric to orion940

Anon

to orion940
Up to date: FF 18.0.1, Adblock+, NoScript, Ghostery

NoScript: Yahoo.com and Yimg.com are allowed through like always

If I do nothing else by let Scorecardresearch through on Ghostery, Yahoo mail works fine. Block it on Ghostery, Yahoo mail becomes messed up and I cannot reply/forward.

This is brand new as of today for me. I've had FF 18 for what around 10 days now?... and Yahoo was working fine up until today.
Gem
Premium Member

Gem to orion940

Premium Member

to orion940
As stated more fully in the thread linked before, I too, have exactly the same problem on Yahoo email when Ghostery OR Adblock Plus is enabled.

The problem goes away when those two add-ons are disabled.

»Now yahoo email won't work in FF with AdBlock Plus enabled

pissed off
@totbb.net

pissed off to Ne0teric

Anon

to Ne0teric
same here
I have FF 18, AdBlock+, Ghostery
I dont have NoScript

Starting yesterday, in Yahoo I cannot compose mail, reply or forward, and I cannot receive attachments.

I have to "disable blocking" for Ghostery then it works.
It is not enough to just let Score Card Research and Right Media through (these are the two that Ghostery shows me as blocked).

Anyone can recommend another email service?
Megadyne
join:2013-01-19
united kingd

1 edit

Megadyne to orion940

to orion940
Had the same problem as of yesterday: could read, move Yahoo email but not compose. Sometimes manged to get a blank message but it didn't respond to the keyboard, nor could I close the tab. Solution, as already noted, was to pause Ghostery thus stopping the ScoreCard Research tracker. However - and this is why I'm posting this - after sending one email, I have restartedGhostery and now am able to send emails as normal.

Firefox 18.0.1; Ghostery and Adblock Plus up to date.
Gem
Premium Member

Gem to pissed off

Premium Member

to pissed off
said by pissed off :

same here
I have FF 18, AdBlock+, Ghostery
I dont have NoScript

Starting yesterday, in Yahoo I cannot compose mail, reply or forward, and I cannot receive attachments.

Anyone can recommend another email service?

As of now, Microsoft's Hotmail email service is still fully functional here with AdBlock Plus and Ghostery both fully enabled.

It would be inconvenient to drop Yahoo to go to Hotmail only.
Gem

Gem to Megadyne

Premium Member

to Megadyne
Good tip. Glad it worked for you.

Unfortunately, the pause, send email, unpause Ghostery fix did not reenable Yahoo email send or compose features here.
Megadyne
join:2013-01-19
united kingd

Megadyne

Shame, I was hopeful it might work more widely. Maybe I touched my Good Luck Charm when I restarted Ghostery ... .

But seriously I was very surprised when Yahoo started working again and it was only on thinking back that I surmised it was the pausing-sending-restarting sequence that did it. It's possible that I did something else in the sequence that was relevant but the only likely thing that I can recall doing at some stage (can't be absolutely sure when) was signing out and signing back in to Yahoo. Otherwise I only flipped Firefox tabs a few times (eg to Google for solutions!) but I'd be very surprised if that had any effect.

carpetshark3
Premium Member
join:2004-02-12
Idledale, CO

carpetshark3

Premium Member

I use Adblock+ and Noscript. I'm using FX ESR. I've never allowed Yahoo to keep any data nor do I have a profile. I usually turn off images to read mail. (Just being a PITA) I also have FX set to dump everything on close.

What I have seen - you can't read your mail unless yimg is enabled.
You can get around this by hitting reply and the text shows up, so it's yimg.

Now you can't log out unless yimg is enabled. You have to click on your name as there is no "sign out" any more. If you are in mail, and click on your name, at least I get a page with an admonition to make my profile public. So far, I can allow yimg and get to sign out.

With yimg enabled, you see Yahoo's ads. Turning off images doesn't block them.
Gem
Premium Member

Gem

Premium Member

Simple question, but how do you turn images on and off in "Classic" Yahoo email?

carpetshark3
Premium Member
Idledale, CO

carpetshark3

Premium Member

FX extension - Tab permissions. Blocks images on the fly like Opera does.
Gem
Premium Member

Gem

Premium Member

Would you post a link to that extension, please?

MarkRH
Premium Member
join:2005-02-08
Edmond, OK
ARRIS BGW210-700
ARRIS TM3402
Asus RT-AC68

MarkRH

Premium Member

said by Gem:

Would you post a link to that extension, please?

»addons.mozilla.org/en-US ··· issions/

BTW, I've never used that extension or use Yahoo mail. Actually, I never use Web mail.

MiNdErAsR
Dark Lord of Sriracha
join:2000-11-25
Outer Limits

MiNdErAsR to orion940

to orion940
It's not a Ghostery issue. My mother was having trouble forwarding email in Yahoo, and she didn't have Ghostery installed. I tried disabling NoScript and Adblock Plus (running Fanboy & Adversity), and still the problem persists. She is running the lastest Firefox release (18.01).

She's been running the updated email and we saw no option to revert to classic.

carpetshark3
Premium Member
Idledale, CO

carpetshark3 to orion940

Premium Member

to orion940
I still have the old classic email. Yahoo has been bugging me for years.
There's nothing in the new email I need. I also have no contacts in Yahoo mail. I only use it for Groups and junk.

I'm tired of sites that want a public profile. Google Play has hidden the log out link on the computer with a big blurb to join or use +. Now this with Yahoo.

orion940
Attractive like a magnet
Premium Member
Windsor, CT

orion940 to MiNdErAsR

Premium Member

to MiNdErAsR
said by MiNdErAsR:

It's not a Ghostery issue.

There are hits that talk about clearing cache and cookies, and that works for a lot of people according to what I read

Yahoo comes out with crap code now and then. I think this is a NOW and a THEN. Just how it gets fixed depends on setups perhaps.

O.

xyzzy
@comcast.net

xyzzy to carpetshark3

Anon

to carpetshark3
Consider the new CEO of Yahoo was previously a major player at Google and she wants to "fix" Yahoo! mail.

»news.yahoo.com/yahoo-int ··· tor.html
said by carpetshark3:

I'm tired of sites that want a public profile. Google Play has hidden the log out link on the computer with a big blurb to join or use +. Now this with Yahoo.

Gem
Premium Member

Gem to MarkRH

Premium Member

to MarkRH
said by MarkRH:

»addons.mozilla.org/en-US ··· issions/

BTW, I've never used that extension or use Yahoo mail. Actually, I never use Web mail.

The tabs permissions add-on was not function on FF 18 as installed here. Perhaps it was blocked by something in AdBlockPlus or Ghostery.

It was worth a try. Thanks anyway for posting the link to it.

Stuart
@50.125.90.x

Stuart

Anon

I have the same problem. It appears to be associated in some way with the latest Adobe Flash Player update (11.5x, I believe) that was just released--maybe with the latest FF update (18.x) as well. After I narrowed the problem down to AdBlock being enabled in Yahoo! Mail, I pulled out a second laptop (XP, Flash Player 11.3x, FF16.x, AdBlock, Yahoo! Mail) that did not have the Flash Player update. Everything works just fine on it.

I tried rolling back Flash Player to 11.3x on the computer with the problem, but that didn't solve the problem--but as we all know, even when we do an uninstall, some changes can be left behind. If I had more time, I'd do more trial and error / process of elimination testing, but that would entail backing up and then restoring the drive on the known good laptop using Acronis TI, something that can be time consuming.

Let's hope AdBlock can come up with a fix.
Gem
Premium Member

3 edits

Gem

Premium Member

Well, keep us posted on how things work out on your set up.

carpetshark3
Premium Member
Idledale, CO

carpetshark3

Premium Member

I've had the damn yahoo addy for over 10 years - rarely any spam, and I deleted contacts.

I don't use Yahoo for anything except mail and groups. Nothing else there is interesting except maybe some news articles. I have to enable yimg to sign out, then I turn around and disable it again, until I want to read a message.

That could by why it's only YIMG acting up on my laptop. Adblock has no effect. I haven't turned off Ghostery or Adblock.
That will probably be their next move.

JohnnyG
@ptd.net

JohnnyG

Anon

I have AVG Do not track in Mozilla 18, I saw on the yahoo email page there are 2 trackers and I allowed yahoo analytics and it works fine now.

GrahamL
@btcentralplus.com

GrahamL to orion940

Anon

to orion940
I have had same problem, being unable to compose e-mails in Yahoo.
Found solution by disabling AVG toolbar which had recently been installed. Disabling Adblock plus had no effect so left it enabled

YahooSux
@verizon.net

YahooSux to orion940

Anon

to orion940
It's getting worse. Since the Yahoo email bork first reared its ugly data-mining head, I've been switching my email to another service. I only reluctantly give scorecard research a pass on Ghostery long enough to view attachments Yahoo holds hostage.
However, as of tonight (FEB 2), Yahoo's pulling the same stunt on their pathetic news.yahoo.com comments threads. If scorecard is blocked, your sign-in password isn't maintained so it's constantly making you resign in to post or rec a comment. This is good. I needed a reason to just stop reading Yahoo's poor excuse for journalism and this'll do it.
With Google ruining Search by forced censorship if you don't let them track you, and Yahoo ruining everything, I'm going to have a lot more free time and money because at this rate there won't be any reason to use or pay for Internet access pretty soon.

Robotics
See You On The Dark Side
Premium Member
join:2003-10-23
Louisa, VA

Robotics to orion940

Premium Member

to orion940
It's getting worse for me too, now when I click the trash can next to spam to empty it takes for ever for the confirmation box to pop up to confirm it. Same with the trash folder. Somthing has changed. If this keeps up, I may have to move to gmail.

chrisretusn
Retired
Premium Member
join:2007-08-13
Philippines

chrisretusn

Premium Member

No change here. Yahoo! Mail is working just fine for me.