share rss forum feed

Cptbeatstix

join:2011-12-21
Carrollton, TX
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to cymraeg

Re: [PvP] PVP in 5.2 and Beyond

People will complain now that PvP is too easy to gain gear from. Us PvE people are now going to see more people in PvP gear in LFR and Heroics since Dreadful is going to be crafted. But PVP wise this is a positive move. I remember doing Arena in Cata about 3 weeks after the season hit, and was trying to figure out why my rogue was getting hammered. Come to find out, our 0 rated team was going against 2100 rated teams......Arena kind of lost its special thing after wrath. But would be fun to get back into it.

Eumaeus

join:2009-12-10
Yorktown, VA

Don't forget though that aside from socket bonuses, pvp gear is equivalent to pve gear at same ilvl. The pvp power/resilience does not have a cost on the item's budget. On that note, socket bonuses won't be make or break in the LFR setting.

This really won't make PvP gear more easy to attain except for the elite versions of the gear. While some may complain that less talented players can get the elite sets than before, it will still take longer and they still shouldn't have trouble beating an inferior player. Having a set point where your gear suddenly becomes instantly far better was a poor design. 2175 teams should not feel substantially weaker than 2200 teams and that 498 weapon alone can have that impact.
--
Eumaeus, Guardian/Balance Druid
GM - Lux ex Tenebris - Sargeras | Alliance
[6/6] MSV [5/6] HoF

Goggalor
Psychonaut
Premium
join:2009-06-09
Your Mind!
kudos:2

said by Eumaeus:

Don't forget though that aside from socket bonuses, pvp gear is equivalent to pve gear at same ilvl. The pvp power/resilience does not have a cost on the item's budget. On that note, socket bonuses won't be make or break in the LFR setting.

This really won't make PvP gear more easy to attain except for the elite versions of the gear. While some may complain that less talented players can get the elite sets than before, it will still take longer and they still shouldn't have trouble beating an inferior player. Having a set point where your gear suddenly becomes instantly far better was a poor design. 2175 teams should not feel substantially weaker than 2200 teams and that 498 weapon alone can have that impact.

Well, PvP gear will usually be inferior to PvE gear because of the gems used/socket bonuses. Right now, for warriors, the best stat to gem for, in PvP, is resilience, which does zero for a player in a PvE setting (the same as PvP power).
--
From Psychonauts -
Lungfish Civilian: (describing Goggalor) He's impervious to bullets! ... and love!
--

Eumaeus

Yorktown, VA

Seems most classes (especially those with no immunity mechanic) are putting emphasis on resilience for sockets since they inflated the pvp power on the weapon so much when they increased it.

A lot of people choose to get and use PvP gear gemmed/enchanted for PvE as filler for missing slots. I very recently replaced my malevolent shoulders from my PvE set and was able to re-gem it for arena.

I really think they're putting far too much emphasis on the entire topic of using pve gear in pvp and vice versa. It's good that they're attempting to balance it this expansion, but you can have too much of a good thing.

They were so desperate to ensure that the t1 weapon was better than heroic PvE weapons that they greatly buffed it earlier this expac. This was done in the midst of burst dps being a leading problem in arenas.

Now what percent of people were really running around with heroic PvE weapons at the time? Some, sure. But was that the major problem with arenas at the time - nah. They were just so obsessive over the no pvp-pve gear crossover that they worsened the burst damage problem.
--
[6/6] MSV [5/6] HoF

Cptbeatstix

join:2011-12-21
Carrollton, TX
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

said by Eumaeus:

Now what percent of people were really running around with heroic PvE weapons at the time? Some, sure. But was that the major problem with arenas at the time - nah. They were just so obsessive over the no pvp-pve gear crossover that they worsened the burst damage problem.

Partially correct, this depends highly on your server really. On Mal'Ganis, you see more people with the Sha weapons because of the +500 to whatever stat gem. PvP gear is great for fillers, but you lose necessary stats like hit and expertise. I don't use the PvP stuff personally. Well, I do use the helm since head piece for leather agi and a biotch to get. But aside from that I just use the 450 quest gear and 437 stuff.

Snuffbox
nice irl
Premium
join:2011-04-15
Milwaukee, WI
kudos:4
reply to Cptbeatstix

said by Cptbeatstix:

People will complain now that PvP is too easy to gain gear from.

Apples and Oranges.
Goal of PvP - Rating.
Goal of PvE - Gear.

PvPing in PvE gear - Not Competitive
Raiding in PvP gear - Not Competitive

said by Cptbeatstix:

I remember doing Arena in Cata about 3 weeks after the season hit, and was trying to figure out why my rogue was getting hammered. Come to find out, our 0 rated team was going against 2100 rated teams

MMR reset in Cata, so you played people with a 2100 MMR to your 0 rated team. MMR =/= Team Rating. Early in the season, if you win a bunch of consecutive games it's easy to launch your MMR sky high but have a team rating of 1500's. This is what the 5.2 changes are referring to.

said by Cptbeatstix:

Arena kind of lost its special thing after wrath.

... What "special thing" was that?

Eumaeus

Yorktown, VA
reply to Cptbeatstix

Cpt I was more looking at them wanting to avoid using PvE weapons in PvP than vice versa. The T1 weapon being 470 and having less secondary stats made it similar or slightly better than a 463 dungeon weapon. Similarly with the T2 having no Sha socket it'd be far less useful than a 483 LFR weapon.

There's some availability of hit on pvp jewelry since even in pvp you'd want to cap hit for lvl 90's, but you're right that you'd not be close to proper hit/exp for PvE with only pvp gear.

Speaking of leather head pieces - weeks ago I'd used an elder token on Will of the Emperor LFR and got my 476 helm. Later the same evening when we did our guild clear I ended up with the 489 version. Yay wasted gems!
--
[6/6] MSV [5/6] HoF