uniqs
bt
join:2009-02-26
canada

1 edit

bt

Okay, NOW Wind will definitely be foreign owned

»www.cbc.ca/news/business ··· eal.html

Deal requires regulatory approval, but it would see Orascom assume full 99.3% ownership.

BliZZardX
Premium Member
join:2002-08-18
Toronto, ON

BliZZardX

Premium Member

Good news. They don't have any excuses for poor service anymore, they have been underwhelming up to now. I want to see them tear up this market.
MaynardKrebs
We did it. We heaved Steve. Yipee.
Premium Member
join:2009-06-17

MaynardKrebs

Premium Member

Now they officially have the cash to buy Mobilicity & 700MHz spectrum.

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC

Guspaz to bt

MVM

to bt
Yes. I'm really hoping they get 700 MHz spectrum in Quebec. We could really use more non-incumbent competition in Quebec. Right now, the only non-incumbent in Quebec is Public Mobile. They've been doing great things, but it's not enough.

El Quintron
Cancel Culture Ambassador
Premium Member
join:2008-04-28
Tronna

El Quintron

Premium Member

said by Guspaz:

Yes. I'm really hoping they get 700 MHz spectrum in Quebec.

In Quebec and everywhere. A competive 700 MHz LTE based service would kick ass.
graniterock
Premium Member
join:2003-03-14
London, ON

graniterock to bt

Premium Member

to bt
It says from the picture caption that Anthony Lacavera the CEO will likely be leaving to start his own venture company. He was pretty open a year or two ago that he was fairly uphappy with Wind and the red tape.

I don't really know enough about the background or business to understand how them taking a 65% interest and increasing it to 99.3% would be a good, bad or neutral move for wind customers.
funny0
join:2010-12-22

funny0 to bt

to bt
the self delusion that foreign ownership WILL translate into lower prices continues....what idiot company would take vastly lower profits when it can co-exist and make its share holders oddles a cash is beyond me.

YUP WIND's owner had financial probs now he wont....
think about cogeco as perfect example.
WHERE they had to actually compete , not only could then not afford to but came to canada and used funds here to keep going and finally used it to buy into the usa market and dump that portugal service.

thats whats gonna happen he will keep status quo here....and use it to lower his other services world wide.
and of course making sick profits in process.

the liberals made these rules for a reason to protect us all
wtf is this about????????
( AND WTF IS THIS WEBSITE DOING LATELY "this website is looking for information according to google chrome )then the post area freezes up and i have to select all and restart again.

Gone
Premium Member
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

said by funny0:

the self delusion that foreign ownership WILL translate into lower prices continues....what idiot company would take vastly lower profits when it can co-exist and make its share holders oddles a cash is beyond me.

You don't win market share with the same prices as everyone else. Furthermore, there is plenty of money to be paid in the wireless market at lower prices than the Big 3 so long as a company has pockets for long-term outlook and investment.

The fact that the floodgates are open to foreign investment drastically changes the dynamics of the wireless market in this country. Orascom could built out a full national network and charge 25% less than the Big 3 for similar and/or better plans and still make out like a bandit once the debt begins to mature. The key is waiting for that debt to mature. A small Canadian startup can't do that. One of the largest international wireless companies in the world can.
koreyb
Open the Canadian Market NOW
join:2005-01-08
Etobicoke, ON

koreyb to bt

to bt
I have had Wind since Dec 2010... I can tell you... from experience, their network has improved 10 fold in Toronto.. especially in the last year.. I have a Galaxy Nexus, and haven't had any real issues. I feel though they need to get the 4g upgrades moving along much faster... as 3.5g is putting them very behind. In DT where 4g towers have been upgraded, it's BLAZING fast.. Was shocked as it's not LTE.

On a Billing side, I LOVE knowing my bill will always be 40.00 a month.. (I have the Holiday/Wish 40 plan). Even at 50.00 it's a great deal.

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

said by koreyb:

In DT where 4g towers have been upgraded, it's BLAZING fast.. Was shocked as it's not LTE.

Yeah, sometimes if you're lucky withe dual channel HSPA T-Mobile network can produce some impressive results over in the US, 20Mbit/s real-world or so.

Then again, I pulled 50Mbit/s over Rogers LTE on my SGS3 in Niagara Falls earlier today. I was getting high 40s in St. Catharines about an hour before. That's faster than my goddamn wired Internet connection at home.
funny0
join:2010-12-22

funny0 to Gone

to Gone
said by Gone:

said by funny0:

You don't win market share with the same prices as everyone else. Furthermore, there is plenty of money to be paid in the wireless market at lower prices than the Big 3 so long as a company has pockets for long-term outlook and investment.

The fact that the floodgates are open to foreign investment drastically changes the dynamics of the wireless market in this country. Orascom could built out a full national network and charge 25% less than the Big 3 for similar and/or better plans and still make out like a bandit once the debt begins to mature. The key is waiting for that debt to mature. A small Canadian startup can't do that. One of the largest international wireless companies in the world can.

lol ya seen the price a gas at your pumps lately?
is there a load a difference between broad band in the usa? The supposed free market people ....

all your gonna get is a bunch a greedy companies sink there teeth in and then sit back raking in the cash. MARK my words it wont lead to cheaper net it will lead to more restricted use internet

AND whom are you going to protest or whine about when the ISP is located 1000 miles or more outside of canada?
NO really what ya gonna do then ....

gone on every isp is the days you could run servers your selves
its against terms , no wonder they have to outsource ...no one can do any learning on the cheap any more.

gone are the days of no caps you will never see the big boys go unlimited its just been too much money and any new corporation and its shareholders all they want is a piece a the action ...

OHHH yes for a small time you will get a novis/shaw style fight until the novis is wiped out and hte big corporation can resume crazy prices. THAT ONE battle will tell you what will happen after a small outfit is rumbled to death....no large corporation is gonna barely make money to make you happy. UNLESS IT IS FORCED TOO.

go google the reasons why liberals brought in that foreign ownership stuff. ENLIGHTEN YOURSELF and quit listening to americans they just trying to pull a scam to get themselves some of our money.
xtachx
join:2005-11-19
canada

xtachx to BliZZardX

to BliZZardX
said by BliZZardX:

Good news. They don't have any excuses for poor service anymore, they have been underwhelming up to now. I want to see them tear up this market.

Wind was actually one of the worst providers I have ever tried. Hopefully, now with Lacavera out of the picture, they can stop pretending they are "canadian", and actually provide some better service.

However, mark my words, in 2014, Rogers will buy Wind. Orascom wants out of canada, and focus on markets like italy and russia.

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

Someone will buy Wind, but it won't be Rogers.

infamouskid
join:2007-01-24
White Rock, BC

infamouskid to bt

to bt
i dont see vimpel/orascom selling out.
these guys are here for the long game.
xtachx
canada

xtachx

said by infamouskid:

i dont see vimpel/orascom selling out.
these guys are here for the long game.

Vimpelcom has grouped its markets into several classes. Wind canada falls in the same class as their south east asia and africa markets. Now they are planning to sell south asia and africa and upgrade italy and russia to LTE.

Orascom also said that they want to get out of canada and vimpelcom indirectly said that. Wind canada for them is a bottomless pit, and why should they invest more, if they cant see an ROI.

However, I might be wrong in assuming that they will sell wind. But, one thing is for sure, if wind does not buy any 700 spectrum, they will be up for sale. In fact I think, wind will be up for sale before end 2013.

infamouskid
White Rock, BC
·TELUS

1 edit

infamouskid

i really don't see that happening.
with the way things are looking now wind is in a position to buy up the other smaller guys. they already have 600k subs.
the only time they would sell is if they are not gaining anything in market right now. but as long as they continue to grow each quarter there is no reason to sell.
they just had their best quarter and their sub base size has grown by more then 50% in the last year. now they are going for full control.
i would say this is more of a strategic move to deepen their pockets for some ammunition against the incumbents. i mean this is the same company who had their CEO say "We will make pain, and they will suffer" in a live interview. that sounds more like they want payback for what happened when they opened doors rather then them wanting to sell.
cog_biz_user
i ruin threads apparently
join:2011-04-19

cog_biz_user to bt

to bt
said by bt:

Deal requires regulatory approval, but it would see Orascom assume full 99.3% ownership.

Oh boy, just what we need, more ammo for RoBellUs to petition the CRTC to kick Wind out...
xtachx
canada

xtachx to infamouskid

to infamouskid
said by infamouskid:

they just had their best quarter

No they didnt.

i mean this is the same company who had their CEO say "We will make pain, and they will suffer" in a live interview

He has been fired as of 2 days ago.

infamouskid
White Rock, BC

infamouskid

i was reffering to mr sawaris
bt
join:2009-02-26
canada

bt to cog_biz_user

to cog_biz_user
said by cog_biz_user:

Oh boy, just what we need, more ammo for RoBellUs to petition the CRTC to kick Wind out...

The rules changed since then, it doesn't provide them any ammo at all.
got_milk2
join:2007-08-22
Georgetown, ON

got_milk2 to infamouskid

to infamouskid
said by infamouskid:

with the way things are looking now wind is in a position to buy up the other smaller guys. they already have 600k subs.
the only time they would sell is if they are not gaining anything in market right now. but as long as they continue to grow each quarter there is no reason to sell.
they just had their best quarter and their sub base size has grown by more then 50% in the last year. now they are going for full control.
i would say this is more of a strategic move to deepen their pockets for some ammunition against the incumbents. i mean this is the same company who had their CEO say "We will make pain, and they will suffer" in a live interview. that sounds more like they want payback for what happened when they opened doors rather then them wanting to sell.

Orascom will sell. It will cost too much to upgrade their network to be on par with Bell/Rogers/Telus' offerings. Wind's home network zone is still very small and a lack of LTE will begin to hurt them soon, if it's not hurting them now.
graniterock
Premium Member
join:2003-03-14
London, ON

graniterock to infamouskid

Premium Member

to infamouskid
said by infamouskid:

I would be curious to know how they did over Christmas. I certainly heard of quite a few people sign up for them. They have only been here in London for just over a year. There are many people waiting out their 3 year contracts planning on switching.

If only Wind was able to get some spectrum so that they could offer iPhones they would bet set. It is the one thing that seems to be impeding quite a few people I know.

silvercat
join:2007-11-07

silvercat to got_milk2

to got_milk2
said by got_milk2:

Orascom will sell. It will cost too much to upgrade their network to be on par with Bell/Rogers/Telus' offerings. Wind's home network zone is still very small and a lack of LTE will begin to hurt them soon, if it's not hurting them now.

I have a hard time believing they would sell. They knew from the beginning it would take a lot of money to build out the infrastructure to compete with Rogers / Bell / Telus.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in

elwoodblues to got_milk2

Premium Member

to got_milk2
said by got_milk2:

said by infamouskid:

You can't become Bell/Rogers/Telus overnight, it'll take decades and billions to build an infrastructure to effectively compete with those three.
jpaik
join:2002-01-09
Hamilton, ON

jpaik to bt

to bt
The parent company is seeing Canada as a market to leave asap.

AFAIK, the regs prevent Wind from being sold to an incumbent company until 2014. I predict that Wind's owners will petition cabinet to change those rules. If unsuccessful, one of the incumbents will buy Wind on Jan 2, 2014.
MaynardKrebs
We did it. We heaved Steve. Yipee.
Premium Member
join:2009-06-17

MaynardKrebs to got_milk2

Premium Member

to got_milk2
said by got_milk2:

Wind's home network zone is still very small and a lack of LTE will begin to hurt them soon, if it's not hurting them now.

Very few people are getting service from the big 3 *just* because they have LTE. Wind's cell sites are fairly easily upgraded to LTE - it just doesn't make sense to do so now. Perhaps in a couple of years people would leave a carrier that doesn't have LTE then, but not so much now.

While Wind's network coverage is relatively small, they do cover a large percentage of Canada's urban population, and a decent portion of the most heavily traveled routes. Wind has been pretty good about expanding coverage (slowly) and filling in gaps in areas that need work. But there is no question that some areas still need work, ie. some I know of are 401 east of Guelph has a Wind dead zone, as does 420 half-way between Niagara Falls and Ft. Erie.

silvercat
join:2007-11-07

silvercat to jpaik

to jpaik
said by jpaik:

The parent company is seeing Canada as a market to leave asap.

Not from reading this article, i don't think so:

Wind's big backer says it's here to stay
»m.theglobeandmail.com/te ··· e=mobile

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
Montreal, QC

Guspaz

MVM

said by silvercat:

Not from reading this article, i don't think so:

Wind's big backer says it's here to stay
»m.theglobeandmail.com/te ··· e=mobile

That article is four and a half months old...

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

said by Guspaz:

That article is four and a half months old...

Right, and the last time they were on record as saying they wanted out of the Canadian market was before the foreign ownership rules changed. The whole reason they wanted out was specifically because of that.

This kind of rampant speculation is typical any time there is any sort of structural or ownership change at a major company. Hell, people are now all going crazy thinking Rogers is going to take a move on Cogeco because they're buying up the former Mountain Cable areas of Shaw. People have been saying that Rogers is going to buy Cogeco for more than a decade now, and yet nothing has happened.

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
Montreal, QC

Guspaz to bt

MVM

to bt
Wind's growth has been extremely stable, adding on average 40-45k customers per quarter... And they've had some spikes since then too, adding 40k in the month over Christmas alone. It seems to me like they're doing pretty decently... They're up to 600k customers and still growing.

As for the public mobile doom-and-gloom, I never got that. They've had a unique and attractive offering since they launched that no other carrier has matched (and in Quebec they had even less competition), so I don't understand the doomsayers. I haven't seen any figures for 2012, but they were also seeing very strong growth (40-45k per quarter) for the latter half of 2011.