how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

lilarry
Premium
join:2010-04-06

[Voip.ms] Server Migrations

Looks like Chicago is being migrated as well as Montreal (thank the Lord). It does appear that the new (or upgraded) Chicago server is remaining with Ubiquity, and so I'm hoping the issues we've been experiencing have been more about the server than the data center. Regardless, seeing all this activity is extremely reassuring. Nice to see the Voip.ms folks on the case.

Next: New York (and hurry!).

mrclark
What's That Daddy?

join:2000-08-04
Chicago, IL
Thanks for the update.

so.... If I were to choose a server to move clients to....which one is least problematic?

These recent challenges with Callcentric and Voip.ms have me skiddish to spend money on advertising if I put clients on servers and then have nothing but problems.
--
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and start slitting throats." - H.L Mencken

adatech

join:2010-04-23
Houston or Dallas, without question.

mrclark
What's That Daddy?

Chicago, IL
Thank you!

lilarry
Premium
reply to mrclark
said by mrclark:

These recent challenges with Callcentric and Voip.ms have me skiddish to spend money on advertising if I put clients on servers and then have nothing but problems.

I don't blame you for being skittish. We have a lot invested with Voip.ms and we have also been holding off adding new clients to voip.ms until this is resolved. Based on all this activity, resolutions will hopefully come soon. We'll see.

Meanwhile, the massive number of complaints from our customers since November have turned my hair a lighter shade of gray, totally stressed me out and wrecked our reputation in the community (not to mention causing me to whine way too much on DSLR).

Elusive trouble ticket responses and near zero responses to Live Chat requests haven't helped. Migrating customers from one server to another to another to another trying to mitigate issues has cost us way too much time and expense and the stress has likely taken a year or two off my life span (I can only imagine the stress THEY must be experiencing).

At this point we've refunded a bunch of money to unhappy clients to try to make up for bad service, costing us big $$$ since we still have to pay voip.ms. (Callcentric offered refunds when their service went bad. I wonder if Voip.ms will follow suit.)

Anyway, from all this you can understand my relief at now seeing this activity with Voip.ms going on. Let's hope it resolves things - and soon.

MartinM
VoIP.ms
Premium,VIP
join:2008-07-21
kudos:3
We have A LOT of time invested in support with you. I won't make this a public case though. That's all I'm gonna say for now.
--
Martin - VoiP.ms

mrclark
What's That Daddy?

Chicago, IL
reply to lilarry
Thank you lilarry for your input....and I also wish the good people at voip.ms the best in getting things sorted out. I'm sure it isn't easy.
--
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and start slitting throats." - H.L Mencken

lilarry
Premium
said by mrclark:

I also wish the good people at voip.ms the best in getting things sorted out. I'm sure it isn't easy.

Agreed.

The Wiz

join:2012-12-17
Seabrook, NH
Due to all of the issues affecting VOIP.MS I've decided to throw in the towel on VOIP.MS and stick with Verizon Wireless and Comcast Digital Phone for Business / Personal phone service

lilarry
Premium
said by The Wiz:

Due to all of the issues affecting VOIP.MS I've decided to throw in the towel on VOIP.MS and stick with Verizon Wireless and Comcast Digital Phone for Business / Personal phone service

I would suggest holding off on such a decision.

My purpose in starting this topic was to express gratitude and to point out that Voip.ms is clearly working hard to upgrade their systems, not to bash them (although on re-reading it looks like I inadvertently did just that in my prior post - sorry Martin, I didn't mean to come off so negatively).

Aside from the recent bugs that have been posted by various paricipants on DSLR (and which I have repeatedly attributed to "growing pains"), they have a great product offering, a great pricing structure and a dedicated team. Once the upgrades are in place things should be fine. And while we have indeed been holding off adding new business (not to mention doing a lot of whining from frustration), we are also not running. I have every expectation that these issues will be ironed out very soon - especially with the upgrades in Montreal and Chicago going on right now. Hang in there.

(Besides, Comcast is no great shakes and Verizon Wireless is, well, wireless - and both are expensive. What kind of service do you expect with them?)

lilarry
Premium
reply to MartinM
said by MartinM:

We have A LOT of time invested in support with you. I won't make this a public case though. That's all I'm gonna say for now.

My apologies Martin. I know you guys are working hard. In re-reading my post I see I came off quite negatively. That was not my intent. I won't say that the situation hasn't been frustrating, but my choice of words was not called for. Again, I apologize.

I do think we need to have a private conversation though. I will PM you.

PX Eliezer70
Premium
join:2008-08-09
Hutt River
kudos:13
Reviews:
·callwithus
·voip.ms
reply to The Wiz
said by The Wiz:

Due to all of the issues affecting VOIP.MS I've decided to throw in the towel on VOIP.MS....

As [lilarry] said, hang in there. This is the very time to NOT pull out.

Let them put in their new equipment and get it tuned.

Surely give it until the end of the (US) holiday weekend....

Daniel Simpson Day: War's over, man. Wormer dropped the big one.

Bluto: Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!

Otter: [whispering] Germans?

Boon: Forget it, he's rolling.

Bluto: And it ain't over now. 'Cause when the goin' gets tough... [thinks hard] the tough get goin'! Who's with me? Let's go! [runs out, alone; then returns] What the fuck happened to the Delta I used to know? Where's the spirit? Where's the guts, huh?

---Animal House (1978)

The Wiz

Seabrook, NH
After my last post I decided to cancel my landline service all together and stick with Verizon Wireless since all of my business associates, customers, friends & family, wife, etc call me on the cell not the landline. Not that had any issues with Comcast Digital Voice it was a business decision. In other words makes no sense to pay for landline service if I'm not going to be using it. Plus, I have solid coverage throughout the home office since there is a VZW tower 3 miles down the road. As for phone service from the various voip service providers go I believe either Mark Twain or P.T. Barnum once said:

" You Pays Your Monies and You Takes Your Chances"

PX Eliezer70
Premium
Hutt River
Reviews:
·callwithus
·voip.ms

1 edit
said by The Wiz:

After my last post I decided to cancel my landline service all together and stick with Verizon Wireless since all of my business associates, customers, friends & family....

....As for phone service from the various voip service providers go I believe either Mark Twain or P.T. Barnum once said....

Someone else once said "Don't put all your eggs in one basket".

I hope that you are very happy with VZW but let us know in a year or so how much further their prices have gone up.

The Wiz

Seabrook, NH
Not going to worry about it since its a tax write off. Plus, I've got 22 months left on my current contract. I've come to the conclusion that if you have the time to fiddle around with your ATA, play musical servers and not concerned if you have service issues than by all means go ahead and take your chances with the voip service providers mentioned in this forum. On the other hand if you want/need reliable phone service it comes down to three choices: POTS, Cable Phone or Cellular.

lilarry
Premium
said by The Wiz:

if you want/need reliable phone service it comes down to three choices: POTS, Cable Phone or Cellular.

This has not necessarily been my experience. I generally rate as follows:

-FiOS (where available): 99% reliable
-POTS: 98% reliable (and deteriorating as copper in many areas is no longer being maintained)
-Cable Phone: 96% reliable
-Voip: 94% reliable (depending on provider and network connection)
-Wireless: 88% reliable (worse with some providers)

But to each his own.

PX Eliezer70
Premium
Hutt River
Reviews:
·callwithus
·voip.ms
reply to The Wiz
said by The Wiz:

I've come to the conclusion that if you have the time to fiddle around with your ATA, play musical servers and not concerned if you have service issues than by all means go ahead and take your chances with the voip service providers mentioned in this forum. On the other hand if you want/need reliable phone service it comes down to three choices: POTS, Cable Phone or Cellular.

Newcomers and casual readers should be aware that notwithstanding the above opinion, lots of people do have good worry-free service with full-service providers such as Voipo (among others) and BYOE providers such as Anveo (among others).

By contrast, cellular has many problems especially in urban areas. POTS gets less and less reliable as each month passes by. Cable phone is quite variable by locality (and expensive after initial teaser promos).

said by The Wiz:

On the other hand if you want/need reliable phone service it comes down to three choices: POTS, Cable Phone or Cellular.

I really have to congratulate you, it takes "golden globes" to come into a VoIP forum and slam the whole concept of VoIP.

hmspe
Premium
join:2007-07-01
Mesa, AZ
reply to lilarry
My experience with voip.ms has been very positive. I'm using an NEC DSX key system, with 4 keys on a home office number and two keys on a home number. We had a problem reaching a rural area at first, but voip.ms changed the routing for us and solved that. Reliability has been better than when we had phones with Cox cable. LA is closer but the Dallas server works best for us.

garys_2k
Premium
join:2004-05-07
Farmington, MI
Reviews:
·Callcentric
·callwithus
reply to PX Eliezer70
said by PX Eliezer70:

I really have to congratulate you, it takes "golden globes" to come into a VoIP forum and slam the whole concept of VoIP.

For sure. VOIP is sometimes, I'm tempted to say often, more reliable than POTS. Providers can have issues, sure, but overall it's a solid technology. In my case I went this way to lose paying $65+/month to SBC (now ATT) and I have to say that my experience has been a 9.9 out of 10. Perfect, no, but nearly so.

jimk
Premium
join:2006-04-15
Raleigh, NC
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

said by garys_2k See Profile
For sure. VOIP is sometimes, I'm tempted to say often, more reliable than POTS. Providers can have issues, sure, but overall it's a solid technology. In my case I went this way to lose paying $65+/month to SBC (now ATT) and I have to say that my experience has been a 9.9 out of 10. Perfect, no, but nearly so.

As always, it depends on the provider. I have seen some long outages with POTS... not always weather related, either.

One thing for sure is that VoIP is much more reliable than the average mobile phone in both call completion rates and call quality.

zephxiii

join:2012-12-12
Fort Wayne, IN
reply to lilarry
In my experience....

AT&T POTS...Mostly good. In the years we've had it at work (we just canceled it for Voip) i've seen some random problems like: a noisy line that takes a couple of days to get fixed, a line goes completely down, unable to make calls outside the local area, our DSL was completely unreliable and had to switch providers because the copper run back to the CO always had signal issues. The problem with it is that it's way too expensive at about 250 bucks a month for 3 lines. Just not worth it for us.

FiOS (Frontier POTS from Fiber interface): Back when we had that storm in July a lot of our city lost power. When power was restored internet worked fine but the phone part was completely non-functional. Apparently that happened to a lot of people. Not sure what it was but we were down for at least a week. Thankfully it was the phone that was broken and not the internet. In that situation VoIP would have been more reliable

AT&T UMTS/HSPA Voice has been pretty solid.

Oceans11

join:2013-01-21
united state
reply to hmspe
Hey guys thought I'd chime in and let you know that I just switched phone service for a customer, using a Avaya Partner ACS System, from VOIP service to Comcast Business Class Phone. After putting up with a boatload of issues from both Callcentric and VOIP.MS and other providers she decided it was time to make the switch.

XCOM
digitalnUll
Premium
join:2002-06-10
Spring, TX
Reviews:
·ObiVoice
·flowroute
·Comcast
said by Oceans11:

Hey guys thought I'd chime in and let you know that I just switched phone service for a customer, using a Avaya Partner ACS System, from VOIP service to Comcast Business Class Phone. After putting up with a boatload of issues from both Callcentric and VOIP.MS and other providers she decided it was time to make the switch.

Hows is this relevant to the OP?
Spam?
--
[nUll@dcypher ~]$

MartinM
VoIP.ms
Premium,VIP
join:2008-07-21
kudos:3

1 recommendation

said by XCOM:

Hows is this relevant to the OP?
Spam?

Sounds like a cheap Gecko commercial knockoff.
--
Martin - VoiP.ms

lilarry
Premium
reply to Oceans11
said by Oceans11:

Hey guys thought I'd chime in and let you know [snip] ...

And you feel the need to let us know this because ...?

said by Oceans11:

...she decided it was time to make the switch.

Not necessarily great decision making on her part.