pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
Premium,MVM
join:2001-09-01
El Dorado Hills, CA
kudos:3
reply to Hayward

Re: [Tablet] Windows 7 can't see my Nexus 7 anymore

Did you not read alkizmo See Profile's link? It explains exactly why mass storage doesn't work.

The bottom line is that UMS requires a dedicated partition in order to work. From the article:

quote:
It isn't physically possible to support UMS on devices that don't have a dedicated partition for storage (like a removable SD card, or a separate partition like Nexus S.) This is because UMS is a block-level protocol that gives the host PC direct access to the physical blocks on the storage, so that Android cannot have it mounted at the same time.
No, it's not a "Google thing trying to be a bit Apple'ish restrictive"
--
"I drank what?" -Socrates

Hayward
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium
join:2000-07-13
Key West, FL
kudos:1

1 edit
said by pflog:

Did you not read alkizmo See Profile's link? It explains exactly why mass storage doesn't work.

The bottom line is that UMS requires a dedicated partition in order to work. From the article:

quote:
It isn't physically possible to support UMS on devices that don't have a dedicated partition for storage (like a removable SD card, or a separate partition like Nexus S.) This is because UMS is a block-level protocol that gives the host PC direct access to the physical blocks on the storage, so that Android cannot have it mounted at the same time.
No, it's not a "Google thing trying to be a bit Apple'ish restrictive"

Only because they have chosen to BE THAT WAY... it is NOT the nature of Android OS.

My same maker ASUS (not Google limited) ASUS Transformer does just fine as a mini PC... none of this an issue. Because they are not branded, are free to do whatever... CONTRACTED to GOOGLE another matter.

Where they can dictate the parameters are and are not.... Again ASUS products(not out contracted to others) themselves no problem like this.
--

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
Premium,MVM
join:2001-09-01
El Dorado Hills, CA
kudos:3
It's dictated by the hardware. Yes, they chose to do that. I'm not saying they did not. They did so because it is much cheaper. In order to fit the Nexus (even the phones) into their niche price range, they have to cut costs somehow. It wasn't because they just decided "well, let's do something non-standard just because we can" as you're implying.
--
"I drank what?" -Socrates