spc
Search similar:

uniqs

JohnnyBob
join:2006-03-23
Mount Vernon, IL

JohnnyBob

bill up $5 for DSL

I've been on Basic DSL for $15/mo for several years and thought it was grandfathered in unless I changed something. This month the bill jumped up to $20 and there's no explanation, no prior notice. I'm trying to call them on the phone but the wait is "forever". Is there anything I can do?
JohnnyBob

JohnnyBob

I finally got thru on the phone and they said this is only temporary. They're going to raise it to $33/mo, more than a 100% increase. There's no way I can afford that much. I'm a disabled senior citizen on a small fixed income. Is there anything I can do?

d_l
Barsoom
MVM
join:2002-12-08
Reno, NV

d_l to JohnnyBob

MVM

to JohnnyBob
Try to get a discounted rate in return for signing a year long contract. Retention might be able to do that.

Trihexagonal5
join:2004-08-29
US

1 edit

Trihexagonal5

said by d_l:

Try to get a discounted rate in return for signing a year long contract. Retention might be able to do that.

When I was thinking of switching to Charter Cable for my internet and phone services a helpful AT&T rep connected me to the Customer Retention Office and they bent over backwards to keep me as a customer. I ended up getting my DSL raised from the Basic to the Elite package for $19.95 a month and didn't have to sign a contract.

She shot me a deal where I got an upgrade to my phone services too, the Complete Choice Enhanced package, which with a non-listed number is supposed to be $25.42 a month, but I get the Lifeline discount and my total bill for phone and internet services works out to be $40.75 a month.

If you haven't already, see if you can get the Lifeline discount for your phone service. If you're a disabled senior citizen you should be eligible. There are two different plans, be sure to ask which one will save you more money.

brg
Premium Member
join:2001-01-03
Chicago, IL

brg to JohnnyBob

Premium Member

to JohnnyBob
I posted this in the Uverse forum the other day:

"New Uverse Internet Pricing (Increase)

Just noticed this on-line when looking to see what my options are when my current IPDSLAM Max promo expires:

"Effective 1/27/13, the standard retail pricing for U-verse High Speed Internet will be: Basic $28, Express $36, Pro $41, Elite $46, Max $51, Max Plus $56."

Great. The outrageous rack-rate pricing becomes even more outrageous. I would bump from $48 (not paying that now; never would) to $51. For 12/1 IPDSLAM.

Hmmm; RCN charges $40 for 25/2. Hmmm...."

»New Uverse Internet Pricing (Increase)

JohnnyBob
Mount Vernon, IL

JohnnyBob

I had to wait 30 minutes to get connected to anyone, then the rep I talked to wasn't helpful. Is there another way to get in touch with their "Customer Retention Office"?

d_l
Barsoom
MVM
Reno, NV

d_l to JohnnyBob

MVM

to JohnnyBob
You might try calling the CSRs at another time to get a more helpful one. Perhaps during weekday hours they might be less busy?

RXDOC
You want what?
MVM
join:2002-03-13
Pawtucket, RI

RXDOC to JohnnyBob

MVM

to JohnnyBob
When you call customer service ask to be connected with the retention department. If they ask if there is anything they can do for you just say "connect me with retention please."

JohnnyBob
Mount Vernon, IL

JohnnyBob

Thanks! I debated how I should handle it. That's straightforward. Then after I'm connected to the retention department, does this sound OK for an introduction?

"After the recent price increase, I'm thinking of switching to X-cable but my wife said to check with you first. What options can you offer?"

RXDOC
You want what?
MVM
join:2002-03-13
Pawtucket, RI

RXDOC

MVM

That is perfect!

I am always straightforward with the CS reps, but very down to Earth and just explain the situation to retention. They have always been extremely helpful in the past.

JohnnyBob
Mount Vernon, IL

JohnnyBob

FYI, the path to the retention dept:
call their 800 number
say "internet"
then say "billing"

This rep was more helpful but I still couldn't get it back to $15/mo like it has been for several years. I ended up getting a $16.50/mo rate for 6 months then will have to call them back before it expires to see what's available at that time, otherwise it goes up to their "regular rate".

They keep that a mystery. I have yet to find a listing of all of their regular rates on the internet. They only talk about special deals for new customers, and trying to find out more always goes back into the same endless circle.

If it were just me, I would drop them like a hot potato. I can get a 100 hr/mo dialup service for $4.07/mo from vtisp.com. But there's someone else here connecting via wifi and a router so that won't work. I'll be scouting for other alternatives over the next 6 months too. Charter cable is way too high. More competition is needed.

d_l
Barsoom
MVM
Reno, NV

d_l to JohnnyBob

MVM

to JohnnyBob
Are the regular rates not listed in a dollar amount somewhere in the fine print on their new customer sign up web site or do they just say regular rate will be charged after the introductory price expires? I haven't checked for a few years.