how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Lamboman316

join:2011-06-15
Pine Plains, NY

Optimum Ultra Question

Thinking about getting optimum online Ultra, I have talked to a couple of different customer service agents, one is telling me they need to drop another cable line from the pole to the house. The other rep is telling me they just need to switch out modem. Not sure who is telling me the correct answer. Does anybody know if you need to upgrade the cable line coming from the pole? Is all this worth it? I have boost now and was thinking about upgrading, just not sure yet. Would like to see other reviews. Thanks

KeyLogger

join:2007-08-08

swap Modem? you using the old 30mb boost with D2 modem?

Thinkdiff
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY
kudos:11
reply to Lamboman316

If you already have a DOCSIS3 modem (you do if you have Boost Plus), technically nothing has to be done. They will still force you to pay the $300 activation charge and separate installation fee. The installer will make sure all your signal levels are good and you're getting your provisioned speeds. It's up to them whether or not you need a new drop for signal level reasons. Most likely, you won't.
--
University of Southern California - Fight On!

majortom1029

join:2006-10-19
Lindenhurst, NY
kudos:1
reply to Lamboman316

at work The tech came in and just replaced our modem and made sure levels were ok. No rewiring needed.

Lamboman316

Pine Plains, NY

what speeds are you getting?

majortom1029

Lindenhurst, NY

I will have to tell you when I go in on Tuesday.

psilocybin

join:2007-07-19
Monroe, NY

2 edits
reply to Lamboman316

I rarely see above 80Mbps down and it rarely goes that faster than that. Most of the time it's in the 50-70MBps~ range. I can't complain about the upload, thats never an issue. I've had Cablevision out to my house multiple times. (replaced everything from the pole to the modem) A tech ran a cable from the pole to the truck with his own modem and laptop showing exactly what I was seeing, I kept complaining so they kept sending people out to my node to replace "filters" or whatever but nothing helped so I gave up. I was going to start a new round of complaining once I got more downstream channels, I currently have 5. When I went from 4 downstream to 5 I never noticed a difference.

Edit: I've had truck rolls at least 6 times. I have to rely upon Cablevision because my only other choice is Frontier. I got Ultra when it first came out and it was pretty much perfect for the first two years.

Edit2: When I was troubleshooting my speed problems another user suggested I call corporate escalation but they were of no help either.

majortom1029

Lindenhurst, NY

Just did a speed test at work and got 110/11.75 . I guess it all Depends on how many people have boost/ultra on your node.

Rojo

join:2009-04-14
New York, NY

said by majortom1029:

I guess it all Depends on how many people have boost/ultra on your node.

I'd crap my pants if I got those speeds too

Lamboman316

Pine Plains, NY
reply to majortom1029

with boost, I'm getting 59/8. not bad. I have 3 desktops, netflix,2 kindles, ipad 2 iphones, and other laptops. Right now just thinking about going with ultra. if it wasn't for the 300 activation, I would've done it a long time ago. That's holding me back.

Jackarino
YacCity
Premium
join:2006-12-28
Allendale, NJ
reply to Lamboman316

Optimum should really consider lowering the fee to $100 or just getting rid of it, then they would get more money per month for customers going to ultra
--
Romney - Ryan 2012
Christie 2016

MxxCon

join:1999-11-19
Brooklyn, NY
reply to Lamboman316

said by Lamboman316:

with boost, I'm getting 59/8. not bad. I have 3 desktops, netflix,2 kindles, ipad 2 iphones, and other laptops. Right now just thinking about going with ultra. if it wasn't for the 300 activation, I would've done it a long time ago. That's holding me back.

you have a shitload devices, but i highly doubt that all of them will be active at once. and even if they, most of them generate 'web browsing'-type traffic, which is bursty in short periods. you don't notice difference when upgrading to ultra.
--
[Sig removed by Administrator: signature can not exceed 20GB]

psilocybin

join:2007-07-19
Monroe, NY
reply to Lamboman316

As other users have pointed out, Ultra performance will depend upon how saturated your node is, for $300 it's a gamble. If you really need that 15Mbps upload then the fluctuating download speed will be irrelevant. I feel that Cablevision gets away with advertising their speeds (and FCC speed tests) are awesome because most users are on the vanilla service. The majority of my friends are on Boost+ and I get those speeds, but anything above depends on the node.

Edit: As per my area with Cablevision competing with Frontier, as much as my Ultra download speeds suck I recommend Optimum to everyone. I also have friends on Verizon's 75/35 plan, if I had the option, I'd be on FIOS.

frdrizzt

join:2008-05-03
Ronkonkoma, NY
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
reply to Jackarino

said by Jackarino:

Optimum should really consider lowering the fee to $100 or just getting rid of it, then they would get more money per month for customers going to ultra

More people on ultra also costs more money. I don't pretend to know what would make the most economical sense for them to do, but if I had to guess, they'll be facing more expansion costs sooner by reducing or removing the upgrade charge to offset the increased monthly revenue.

I do recommend trying Boost Plus before Ultra (like the OP has). I don't think 120ish Mbps vs 60 Mbps is going to have a significant difference on anything a home user would do.

dm145

join:2009-12-12
Clifton, NJ

agreed

the fact is a 30/5 plan would probably be more than adequate for most heavy users

I would upgrade to that before boost+

frdrizzt

join:2008-05-03
Ronkonkoma, NY

CV discontinued the Boost plan for new users when they rolled out Boost Plus, so that wouldn't work.

dm145

join:2009-12-12
Clifton, NJ

1 edit

sorry if I wasn't clear but I am aware the 30/5 plan is not available but if it were I would be interested in one