how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

FF4m3

@rr.com

TSA Dumps Near-Naked Rapiscan Body Scanners

From USA Today - January 18, 2013:

The Transportation Security Administration said Friday it's dropping the full-body scanning machines that produced almost nude images of people at checkpoints and outraged many travelers.

The reason: The maker of the machines, Rapiscan Systems, cannot produce software to eliminate the almost nude images that TSA personnel view and turn them into stick-like figures.

The machines also were controversial because they use X-rays to scan passengers, prompting concerns about radiation.

The move doesn't mean that passengers won't have to go through full-body scans at airports. The TSA is keeping other machines that use a different technology and software, and which provide stick-like body images that personnel examine for potential weapons.

The TSA has 174 Rapiscan machines, which will be removed from airports by June. The agency earlier had removed 76 of the machines from airports — including New York's LaGuardia and JFK, Chicago O'Hare, Los Angeles, Boston, Charlotte and Orlando.

But it was privacy concerns — not radiation — that prompted the TSA to make the move. Because of the concerns, TSA officers had to monitor the near-nude images of passengers on Rapiscan monitors in private rooms away from checkpoints. They then relayed messages to checkpoints if any suspicious objects were detected. And that also takes longer.

The TSA had given manufacturer Rapiscan Systems until June to update its software to change the near-nude images. But after sending a threatening letter Nov. 9, the agency canceled its contract when it became obvious the company wouldn't meet that deadline.

Cudni
La Merma - Vigilado
Premium,MVM
join:2003-12-20
Someshire
kudos:13

1 recommendation

The only time privacy is more powerful than radiation.Good in any case.

Cudni

no__1__here
Premium
join:2003-10-13
Tomball, TX
reply to FF4m3
If I understand the article they are keeping the other full-body scanners made by the other company since it produces "cartoon-like stick figures". So radiation is still a go!

FF4m3

@rr.com
said by no__1__here:

If I understand the article they are keeping the other full-body scanners made by the other company since it produces "cartoon-like stick figures". So radiation is still a go!

Actually, the scanners' radiation turns people into "cartoon-like stick figures". Reality based TV horror show to follow.

Link Logger
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-29
Calgary, AB
kudos:3

1 recommendation

reply to FF4m3
I'm not happy about this at all, you know how many TSA chicks I've tagged because they have gotten a preview of the goods.

Blake
--
Vendor: Author of Link Logger which is a traffic analysis and firewall logging tool

Snowy
Premium
join:2003-04-05
Kailua, HI
kudos:6
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·Clearwire Wireless

1 recommendation

Hen too much for you to handle?

Blackbird
Built for Speed
Premium
join:2005-01-14
Fort Wayne, IN
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
reply to FF4m3
I keep wondering what a "near-naked body scanner" might actually look like. Is it a body scanner that doesn't wear most its cabinet or case? What constitutes a "naked" as opposed to "near-naked" body scanner... whether the circuit cards are visible to arouse a geek's prurient interest? And aren't there laws about showing one's innards and wiring in a public place? Questions, questions... inquiring minds want to know.
--
“The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money.” A. de Tocqueville

Snowy
Premium
join:2003-04-05
Kailua, HI
kudos:6
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·Clearwire Wireless
said by Blackbird:

I keep wondering what a "near-naked body scanner" might actually look like.

Blakes bragging to an unnatural attraction towards chicks & now Blackbird See Profile is admitting to being scanner curious

PrntRhd
Premium
join:2004-11-03
Fairfield, CA
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 recommendation

reply to FF4m3
I listened to a KGO radio show where an engineer working at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory was reported to have warned software should be added to make the images less embarrassing well before these machines were deployed in airports. The machines were rushed out and the warning was not addressed.
»www.homelandsecuritynewswire.com···y-solved
Software could have made a flat image with a indicator of any area of concern, per another engineer but that was ignored too.

OZO
Premium
join:2003-01-17
kudos:2
reply to FF4m3
said by FF4m3 :

said by no__1__here:

Actually, the scanners' radiation turns people into "cartoon-like stick figures". Reality based TV horror show to follow.

I think you've got the point here...
--
Keep it simple, it'll become complex by itself...

OZO
Premium
join:2003-01-17
kudos:2
reply to FF4m3
said by USA Today :

The TSA has 174 Rapiscan machines, which will be removed from airports by June. The agency earlier had removed 76 of the machines from airports — including New York's LaGuardia and JFK, Chicago O'Hare, Los Angeles, Boston, Charlotte and Orlando.

How much did it cost us and who will be kept responsible for this big waste of taxpayers money?

said by USA Today :

But it was privacy concerns — not radiation — that prompted the TSA to make the move.

Once again they've proved, that they don't give a shit about the health of the people... The same is true about our privacy too, BTW. There is something going on benind the scene, that they don't us to know... To find an answer (as usual with the government, working for corporations) watch for a new stream of money they're going to direct somewhere else. It may reveal the new "lobby".
--
Keep it simple, it'll become complex by itself...

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:5
reply to no__1__here
No, the ones TSA is keeping (millimeter wave) do not cause radiation problems. TSA has known this from the beginning but they wanted (were ordered?) to have 50% of each brand of scanner in the airports. Luckily, in Hawaii only the first airport (one of the very first in the nation) to get a scanner got the RapidScan. Honolulu, Maui, Hilo and Kona got the safe one.
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

cmadewd

@cox.net
reply to OZO
said by OZO:

said by USA Today :

How much did it cost us and who will be kept responsible for this big waste of taxpayers money?

said by USA Today :

But it was privacy concerns — not radiation — that prompted the TSA to make the move.

Once again they've proved, that they don't give a shit about the health of the people... The same is true about our privacy too, BTW. There is something going on benind the scene, that they don't us to know... To find an answer (as usual with the government, working for corporations) watch for a new stream of money they're going to direct somewhere else. It may reveal the new "lobby".

Actually the scanners being replaced are going to be sent to other federal agencies for their use. Also Rapidscan is going to be paying for at least some of the replacement costs from what other articles have stated.

Actually it was Congress who forced them to act. As I've stated anytime someone brings up body scanners, if you want change lobby congress don't waste your breath on the TSA itself.

cmaengdewd

@cox.net
reply to Mele20
said by Mele20:

No, the ones TSA is keeping (millimeter wave) do not cause radiation problems. TSA has known this from the beginning but they wanted (were ordered?) to have 50% of each brand of scanner in the airports. Luckily, in Hawaii only the first airport (one of the very first in the nation) to get a scanner got the RapidScan. Honolulu, Maui, Hilo and Kona got the safe one.

You should change that to "are not known to cause radiation problems". The Rapidwaves used X-Rays which are known to cause cancer, the MMW scanners like L-3 uses still emit radiation but at lower frequencies closer to that of a microwave oven. I have no doubt that they have a negative effect on health, just not as much as the X-Ray units.

Link Logger
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-29
Calgary, AB
reply to Snowy
Have you seen some of those Hens at the TSA, Thanks but No Thanks, I'll leave those to Chuck Norris.

Blake

antdude
A Ninja Ant
Premium,VIP
join:2001-03-25
United State
kudos:5
reply to FF4m3
Bok bok! [pecks, flaps wings, and clucks]