how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Pampers

join:2013-01-18

Thinking of changing from Bell to Teksavvy

Hi,

I am currently on the old Bell DSL 5 MBit unlimited plan that was grandfathered in. I don't get any throttling of torrents or anything else.

However, I'm a 'Youtube head'. I get buffering and hickups. I can no stream in HD most of the time unless I buffer. It's an ongoing frustration.

Youtube reports that I'm well below my ISP and even city at 4.66 MBits average. I read this is NOT enough to stream in most situations. It also lets me know that Bell isn't throttling me.

»www.youtube.com/my_speed

My bill is $80 total a month for dry loop DSL including taxes etc.

I was curious what others would advise me to do.

Thanks!

jmck
formerly 'shaded'

join:2010-10-02
Ottawa, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·Start Communicat..
there's a dedicated thread for how bad TSI is right now with youtube. it was apparently supposed to be fixed yesterday but the problem still continues. you might want to watch the thread before switching if youtube is important to you.

regardless, I don't think 5mbit is enough for 1080p without buffering, you might want to look at a better package or move to Cable.

Pampers

Can I ask if with TekSavvy you have always been able to stream at 1080p and have relatively 'carefree' usage of Youtube prior to the current problems?

Youtube does occupy most of my usage actually.. I've 'always' had Youtube issues for the past few years...

jmck
formerly 'shaded'

join:2010-10-02
Ottawa, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·Start Communicat..
The problem with TSI and Youtube has been getting progressively worse over the last few months and mostly during peak time. They've likely been running out of capacity for a while but apparently just added 30Gbits/sec of capacity to Google/Youtube which was supposed to fix the problem but hasn't yet.

You're likely going to need 10-15mbit/sec to stream 1080p tho without buffering.

Pampers

Uh oh.. 'upgrades' mean possible back end throttling from the backend.. i'm very skeptical when it comes to these things hehe I wonder if Rogers/Bell has an 'interest' in YouTube.

JMJimmy

join:2008-07-23
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
I'm on a 25/7 connection and I still get buffering on youtube at the moment. It's a YouTube issue more than anything.

That said, it's worth switching from Bhell. Call me a fanboy but Bhell did nothing but screw me over and TSI has done nothing but right by me.

TSI Jonathan
Premium
join:2011-08-24
canada
kudos:10
reply to Pampers
Hi Pampers,

Welcome to the forum, I see you just joined. If you want to post in the secured direct forum with your address we can check the serviceability »TekSavvy Direct or if you prefer you can PM me TSI Jonathan See Profile. We can qualify to see if Cable Internet is available at the same time (if it's something that may interest you).

If you have any questions please feel free to ask and we'll be glad to help you out.

Cheers,

TSI Jonathan
--
Social Media Relations Team Leader
Authorized TSI employee - Teksavvy Solutions Inc.

graniterock
Premium
join:2003-03-14
London, ON
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to Pampers
The youtube troubles exist but aren't a universal experience. With TSI cable youtube streams great. There is the odd night where I need to hit reload once or twice.

(I've also discovered the PS3 youtube app which can sync with my phone to be pretty nifty too)

TSI Jonathan
Premium
canada
said by graniterock:

(I've also discovered the PS3 youtube app which can sync with my phone to be pretty nifty too)

Really? that's pretty cool, what's the app called if you don't mind?
--
Social Media Relations Team Leader
Authorized TSI employee - Teksavvy Solutions Inc.

graniterock
Premium
join:2003-03-14
London, ON
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·TekSavvy Cable
It's in the PS3 store in the Apps section. Some people have said they also found it in the TV / Videos services of the main menu on the PS3. They kinda just snuck it in there without any fanfare.

It uses the web browser on the phone so works on iPhones, Android and others without having to download any apps on them.

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDqOZosb794

skyR

join:2007-01-14
Toronto, ON
reply to Pampers
Recently switched to Teksavvy DSL myself from Bell. Never had to deal with 1080p content buffering on Youtube with Bell and still don't experience any buffering with Teksavvy.

TSI Jonathan
Premium
canada
reply to graniterock
Thanks for sharing, I'm going to test that out later today.

d4m1r

join:2011-08-25
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
reply to Pampers
1) Wow, $80/month? You could cut that in half by switching to TSI...

2) However, it won't most likely fix your Youtube issues....For months, I didn't understand what people where complaining about because even 1080p streams never buffered for me, but over the last month, it's been getting bad...Sometimes, even regular 360/480p videos have to buffer and 1080p is hit and miss. Some nights, they will load fine, other times (like now, 2pm on a Saterday) and it is impossible to stream it...
--
www.613websites.com Budget Canadian Web Design and Hosting

funny0

join:2010-12-22

1 edit
reply to Pampers
said by Pampers:

Hi,

I am currently on the old Bell DSL 5 MBit unlimited plan that was grandfathered in. I don't get any throttling of torrents or anything else.

However, I'm a 'Youtube head'. I get buffering and hickups. I can no stream in HD most of the time unless I buffer. It's an ongoing frustration.

Youtube reports that I'm well below my ISP and even city at 4.66 MBits average. I read this is NOT enough to stream in most situations. It also lets me know that Bell isn't throttling me.

Thanks!

i have the 6 megabit un limited , with dry loop and static i pay about 60$ a month with taxes...
and i also get youtube issues so its a dsl issue with bell/teksavvy

i get them even form the cbc videos as soon as i do any thing else while watching any streamed video, the sound gets all weird and video goes choppy....but i dont stream very often so i dont care if i cant then ill just have to download something

edit note one user said its a flash issue and that i can prolly say is the issue....cause i ONLY Notice this issue when i try and use any other apps ...ya know god forbid we multi- task while listening/viewing the cbc

Pampers

What's funny is that I've called Bell through the last couple of years on repeated intermittent connectivity issues (turned out to be line burial issue into house)... but I always asked if 'other users ever called to complained about Youtube buffering etc'.'

Each time they said not often or very rarely and I should be able to watch..

Then there are many here that don't have an issue.

Actually, let me take a screen shot of what Youtube says about my connection speed:

TypeS

join:2012-12-17
London, ON
kudos:1
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to Pampers
I keep reading that people are point the finger at TekSavvy for woes with using Youtube.

But this is my connectivity to YouTube for the past little bit:

Have never had issues buffering 1080p video.

MrDisco1

join:2009-04-15

1 edit
reply to Pampers
Hi Pampers. I was in the same boat as you. Grandfathered Ultra plan and facing a rate hike in january to $85/month. 7/1 connection speed. i made the leap and i'm fairly happy. My bill is lowered, my speed is much higher, my caps (300GB) isn't a big issue. My only hiccup are the intermittent disconnections I'm receiving which completely screws up my downloads :'(

I would advise making the jump despite the glitches.

edit: of course having said that, i just had another drop in connection. *sigh*

rkaushik

join:2002-03-31
Tallahassee, FL
reply to Pampers
Would not recommend teksavvy phone or internet service. They lease Bell lines. Any install or service order has to go to Bell. If you ever have an issue, Bell will make sure that they provide the worst service possible to teksavvy customers. In the end the customer ends up getting screwed while it may not be teksavvy's fault.
My recent example: Phone line was down. Teksavvy filed repair ticket with Bell. Bell did some remote testing and determined that everything was ok without coming to my home to check if there was a dial tone outside my home. Bell closed the ticket. I called teksavvy back and they called Bell again. Bell argued but finally agreed to sent tech out. Bell tech determined that my telephone line had been disconnected at the neighborhood network box! I was asked to be home for a 5 hour window both times that Bell tech was supposed to come out.
In total I had service outage for 5 days for no fault of Teksavvy.
Lesson learned- however bad Bell is I would much rather have service directly with Bell. Bell now offers no contract service (internet and phone) like teksavvy and prices very competitively.
So why would you go through teksavvy and not directly to Bell? I had teksavvy for a long time because I disliked Bell but in the end what matters is my service uptime and not getting the run around. Interesting when I switched to Bell I was offered multiple installation windows for 3 hours and the tech called me before he showed up.

jdoe71

join:2008-02-07
L0L0L0
Reviews:
·voip.ms
Rkaushik, interesting concept there. By doing this you are guaranteeing that we will never get decent price and service for telecom in Canada. As long as people keep kowtowing to Bell, and the other biggies, nothing will change. Think high level for a moment, not just about your immediate needs.

Cloneman

join:2002-08-29
Montreal
kudos:4
reply to Pampers
5mbit is not enough to sustain 1080p youtube. It should be sufficient for 720p, but your mileage may vary if there's someone else using the connection at the same time.

funny0

reply to Pampers
said by Pampers:

Hi,

Thanks!

want some fun everyone phone up bce and ask what a megabit is in kilobytes/sec
no really

funny0

reply to rkaushik
said by rkaushik:

Would not recommend teksavvy phone or internet service. They lease Bell lines. Any install or service order has to go to Bell. If you ever have an issue, Bell will make sure that they provide the worst service possible to teksavvy customers. In the end the customer ends up getting screwed while it may not be teksavvy's fault.
My recent example: Phone line was down. Teksavvy filed repair ticket with Bell. Bell did some remote testing and determined that everything was ok without coming to my home to check if there was a dial tone outside my home. Bell closed the ticket. I called teksavvy back and they called Bell again. Bell argued but finally agreed to sent tech out. Bell tech determined that my telephone line had been disconnected at the neighborhood network box! I was asked to be home for a 5 hour window both times that Bell tech was supposed to come out.
In total I had service outage for 5 days for no fault of Teksavvy.
Lesson learned- however bad Bell is I would much rather have service directly with Bell. Bell now offers no contract service (internet and phone) like teksavvy and prices very competitively.
So why would you go through teksavvy and not directly to Bell? I had teksavvy for a long time because I disliked Bell but in the end what matters is my service uptime and not getting the run around. Interesting when I switched to Bell I was offered multiple installation windows for 3 hours and the tech called me before he showed up.

and ya know what in 5-6 years only one downtime and turns out was my modem being crazy ( it still is and ill have to get a new one at some point.)

but its functioning fine now and ill say it the only downtimes i have had they told me about....

funny0

reply to Cloneman
said by Cloneman:

5mbit is not enough to sustain 1080p youtube. It should be sufficient for 720p, but your mileage may vary if there's someone else using the connection at the same time.

true 5megabit NOT the 4 megabit bce gives you ergo the 100 kilobytes = 1 megabit vs reality of it being 125 kilobytes/sec
thats 125 kilobytes bce is scamming people for
gets worse up the chain of speed

rkaushik

join:2002-03-31
Tallahassee, FL
reply to jdoe71
Thanks. I am just being practical. I believe in grassroots movements too but that rarely happens in Canada and if-when it does it is at a glacial pace.
Thinking high level will not get me better service when I work from home and my upload speeds have to be 2mb+.
Teksavvy needs to think big picture and find ways to inject capital in order to fund an infrastructure where they don't have to lease Bells' lines. Verizon invested several billions in running fibre to homes. That level of scale is needed and the resellers need to come together to collaborate.

Tx
bronx cheers from cheap seats
Premium
join:2008-11-19
Mississauga, ON
kudos:12
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·FreePhoneLine
·Rogers Hi-Speed
reply to Pampers
said by Pampers:

Hi,

Thanks!

This isn't one specific ISP issue as far as i can tell. In my house i have access to TSI DSL & Rogers Cable and i just helped my neighbour last night with something and he's on Bell directly. All 3 ISP's have these same problems with youtube.

I tried loading the same 3 videos on youtube... all the same buffering crap.