how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Pampers

join:2013-01-18
reply to jmck

Re: Thinking of changing from Bell to Teksavvy

Uh oh.. 'upgrades' mean possible back end throttling from the backend.. i'm very skeptical when it comes to these things hehe I wonder if Rogers/Bell has an 'interest' in YouTube.

jmck
formerly 'shaded'

join:2010-10-02
Ottawa, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·Start Communicat..
reply to Pampers

The problem with TSI and Youtube has been getting progressively worse over the last few months and mostly during peak time. They've likely been running out of capacity for a while but apparently just added 30Gbits/sec of capacity to Google/Youtube which was supposed to fix the problem but hasn't yet.

You're likely going to need 10-15mbit/sec to stream 1080p tho without buffering.

Pampers

reply to jmck

Can I ask if with TekSavvy you have always been able to stream at 1080p and have relatively 'carefree' usage of Youtube prior to the current problems?

Youtube does occupy most of my usage actually.. I've 'always' had Youtube issues for the past few years...

jmck
formerly 'shaded'

join:2010-10-02
Ottawa, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·Start Communicat..
reply to Pampers

there's a dedicated thread for how bad TSI is right now with youtube. it was apparently supposed to be fixed yesterday but the problem still continues. you might want to watch the thread before switching if youtube is important to you.

regardless, I don't think 5mbit is enough for 1080p without buffering, you might want to look at a better package or move to Cable.

Pampers

Hi,

I am currently on the old Bell DSL 5 MBit unlimited plan that was grandfathered in. I don't get any throttling of torrents or anything else.

However, I'm a 'Youtube head'. I get buffering and hickups. I can no stream in HD most of the time unless I buffer. It's an ongoing frustration.

Youtube reports that I'm well below my ISP and even city at 4.66 MBits average. I read this is NOT enough to stream in most situations. It also lets me know that Bell isn't throttling me.

»www.youtube.com/my_speed

My bill is $80 total a month for dry loop DSL including taxes etc.

I was curious what others would advise me to do.

Thanks!