uniqs
share rss forum feed

funny0

join:2010-12-22
reply to Pampers

Re: Thinking of changing from Bell to Teksavvy

said by Pampers:

Hi,

I am currently on the old Bell DSL 5 MBit unlimited plan that was grandfathered in. I don't get any throttling of torrents or anything else.

However, I'm a 'Youtube head'. I get buffering and hickups. I can no stream in HD most of the time unless I buffer. It's an ongoing frustration.

Youtube reports that I'm well below my ISP and even city at 4.66 MBits average. I read this is NOT enough to stream in most situations. It also lets me know that Bell isn't throttling me.

»www.youtube.com/my_speed

My bill is $80 total a month for dry loop DSL including taxes etc.

I was curious what others would advise me to do.

Thanks!

want some fun everyone phone up bce and ask what a megabit is in kilobytes/sec
no really

funny0

reply to rkaushik
said by rkaushik:

Would not recommend teksavvy phone or internet service. They lease Bell lines. Any install or service order has to go to Bell. If you ever have an issue, Bell will make sure that they provide the worst service possible to teksavvy customers. In the end the customer ends up getting screwed while it may not be teksavvy's fault.
My recent example: Phone line was down. Teksavvy filed repair ticket with Bell. Bell did some remote testing and determined that everything was ok without coming to my home to check if there was a dial tone outside my home. Bell closed the ticket. I called teksavvy back and they called Bell again. Bell argued but finally agreed to sent tech out. Bell tech determined that my telephone line had been disconnected at the neighborhood network box! I was asked to be home for a 5 hour window both times that Bell tech was supposed to come out.
In total I had service outage for 5 days for no fault of Teksavvy.
Lesson learned- however bad Bell is I would much rather have service directly with Bell. Bell now offers no contract service (internet and phone) like teksavvy and prices very competitively.
So why would you go through teksavvy and not directly to Bell? I had teksavvy for a long time because I disliked Bell but in the end what matters is my service uptime and not getting the run around. Interesting when I switched to Bell I was offered multiple installation windows for 3 hours and the tech called me before he showed up.

and ya know what in 5-6 years only one downtime and turns out was my modem being crazy ( it still is and ill have to get a new one at some point.)

but its functioning fine now and ill say it the only downtimes i have had they told me about....

funny0

reply to Cloneman
said by Cloneman:

5mbit is not enough to sustain 1080p youtube. It should be sufficient for 720p, but your mileage may vary if there's someone else using the connection at the same time.

true 5megabit NOT the 4 megabit bce gives you ergo the 100 kilobytes = 1 megabit vs reality of it being 125 kilobytes/sec
thats 125 kilobytes bce is scamming people for
gets worse up the chain of speed

rkaushik

join:2002-03-31
Tallahassee, FL
reply to jdoe71
Thanks. I am just being practical. I believe in grassroots movements too but that rarely happens in Canada and if-when it does it is at a glacial pace.
Thinking high level will not get me better service when I work from home and my upload speeds have to be 2mb+.
Teksavvy needs to think big picture and find ways to inject capital in order to fund an infrastructure where they don't have to lease Bells' lines. Verizon invested several billions in running fibre to homes. That level of scale is needed and the resellers need to come together to collaborate.

Tx
bronx cheers from cheap seats
Premium
join:2008-11-19
Mississauga, ON
kudos:12
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·FreePhoneLine
·Rogers Hi-Speed
reply to Pampers
said by Pampers:

Hi,

I am currently on the old Bell DSL 5 MBit unlimited plan that was grandfathered in. I don't get any throttling of torrents or anything else.

However, I'm a 'Youtube head'. I get buffering and hickups. I can no stream in HD most of the time unless I buffer. It's an ongoing frustration.

Youtube reports that I'm well below my ISP and even city at 4.66 MBits average. I read this is NOT enough to stream in most situations. It also lets me know that Bell isn't throttling me.

»www.youtube.com/my_speed

My bill is $80 total a month for dry loop DSL including taxes etc.

I was curious what others would advise me to do.

Thanks!

This isn't one specific ISP issue as far as i can tell. In my house i have access to TSI DSL & Rogers Cable and i just helped my neighbour last night with something and he's on Bell directly. All 3 ISP's have these same problems with youtube.

I tried loading the same 3 videos on youtube... all the same buffering crap.