share rss forum feed

Gem
Premium
join:2005-09-10
kudos:4
Reviews:
·CableOne

Now yahoo email won't work in FF with AdBlock Plus enabled

New problem cropped up just today. I've been using Yahoo's old traditional webmail program for years in Firefox with Adblock Plus enabled.

Now as of an hour ago, Yahoo email won't let me send emails, or even type emails, unless Adblock Plus is disabled.

Any clues as how to get Yahoo email to work in Firefox 18 with Adblock Plus enabled with Easy List and FanBoy's many lists all enabled?

chrisretusn
Retired
Premium
join:2007-08-13
Philippines
kudos:1
Reviews:
·PLDT
·Comcast

I just spent an hour or so in one of my Yahoo! Mail accounts with Adblock Plus enabled. I have Fanboy's Adblock List and EasyList enabled.

I also have NoScript with yahoo.com and yimg.com allowed. Both are needed for Yahoo! Mail to correctly function.

I had no problems in using Yahoo! Mail.

I am using Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:18.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/18.0
--
Chris
Living in Paradise!!

Gem
Premium
Reviews:
·CableOne

2 edits

It's great that you can use Yahoo mail with adblock enabled and actively blocking all ads on the email inbox and email pages. It still won't work here when adblock plus was enabled and when the various ads on Yahoo email are blocked - such as the far right hand panel ad.

This seems similar to what appeared to be Google's experiments with different users where Google searches were inoperative for different reasons for different people who had various types of adblocking and privacy protection software enabled. When we disabled the protective software Google searches would work again. The experiment eventually appeared to end and everything eventually went back to normal.

I'm on the older "traditional" version of Yahoo's email, by the way.

What happens here is that I can still see my inbox and can still read email messages. What is not functional is the ability to compose and send new emails when Adblock is enabled.

The same thing happens here when Ghostery is enabled to block ads and tracking cookies and elements. That is, when Ghostery is fully enabled Yahoo email will not allow me to compose or send new email messages.

The way Yahoo email prevents me from sending or composing new messages is by disabling the keyboard keys when Ghostery is enabled.

Perhaps it is not Yahoo email that is disabling the keyboard keys. Perhaps something else is causing that to happen when Adblock plus and Ghostery are enabled on that page.

I don't know what's causing it. That's the reason for seeking help.

redwolfe_98
Premium
join:2001-06-11
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to Gem

gem, with "adblock plus", it has an option for "open blockable items" which lets you see what is being blocked on a webpage.. maybe looking at that well let you know what is being blocked and what needs to be unblocked..

with "adblock plus", i frequently "open blockable items" to check to see if something is being blocked that shouldn't be being blocked.. you might say "you shouldn't have to do that" but i use some "custom-rules" for blocking stuff (and for allowing stuff) and that is part of the reason why i sometimes need to check to see what is being blocked on a webpage.. usually there isn't a problem but occasionally there is one, where i will either need to edit, or remove, a rule, or create a new "exception" to allow something that is being blocked..

without going into lengthy detail, after yahoo closed "yahoo chat", i closed all of my yahoo accounts so i can't test "yahoo mail"..

Gem
Premium
Reviews:
·CableOne

Thanks for the reply and for the advice.

The other thread on this same problem is getting more play so please direct all future responses to that one:

»[FireFox] Yahoo Mail Issues w/replying, etc..

Perhaps we'll get a fix that works for all of us soon.

Mods, you can lock this one up. Thanks.