uniqs
share rss forum feed

SparkChaser
Premium
join:2000-06-06
Downingtown, PA
kudos:4

[Cam] Canon 20D with a broken USB Repair/Replace

The USB connector on my Canon EOS 20D broke. Is it worth fixing (about $200) or should I try to get a new Canon body? I hope they have something that still works with the lens.

Exit
Premium,ExMod 2002
join:2001-04-10
Canada
Why do you need the USB port to work? Unless you're tethering with it there's really no reason you'd need the USB port. The 20D is a great camera, but thing's have come a long way since that camera came out. How invested in lenses are you right now?

SparkChaser
Premium
Downingtown, PA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
said by Exit:

Why do you need the USB port to work? Unless you're tethering with it there's really no reason you'd need the USB port. The 20D is a great camera, but thing's have come a long way since that camera came out. How invested in lenses are you right now?

Yes, you are right I don't need it. It makes using the camera easier when I use it for documenting some things I'm working on but I can just pop out the SD card. The other thing is I'm a retired engineer and when something is broken it drives me crazy

I have 3 lenses the one that I'd most like to keep is a EF-S 17-85 mm, 67mm apt.

Since I can use it, I do have time to think about what I want to do.
--
--
--
"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored." - Aldous Huxley

r81984
Fair and Balanced
Premium
join:2001-11-14
Katy, TX
Reviews:
·row44
Take it apart and fix it yourself.
It should only cost you a couple of bucks to do it.
Either the USB port is soldered on the board or it uses a ribbon cable to connect to the board, either way you should be able to fix it for much less than $200.
--
...brought to you by Carl's Jr.

r81984
Fair and Balanced
Premium
join:2001-11-14
Katy, TX
Reviews:
·row44
reply to SparkChaser
Click for full size
The USB is soldered on a daughter board, not the cameras main board.

Most likely the solder joint on the usb port cracked, so you probably could just touch it with a soldering iron to fix it.

You can also just buy a replacement board for $25 to $35 on ebay if you cant fix the port or solder in a replacement. If you buy the replacement board it looks like you still have to solder two power cables, but those are large solder points.
Instead of soldering on the board you could splice the wires together if you dont want to solder.

»www.ebay.com/itm/GENUINE-CANON-E···20d6307d

»www.ebay.com/itm/CANON-EOS-20D-U···20bd1bc7
--
...brought to you by Carl's Jr.

SparkChaser
Premium
Downingtown, PA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
said by r81984:

The USB is soldered on a daughter board, not the cameras main board.

Most likely the solder joint on the usb port cracked, so you probably could just touch it with a soldering iron to fix it.

You can also just buy a replacement board for $25 to $35 on ebay if you cant fix the port or solder in a replacement. If you buy the replacement board it looks like you still have to solder two power cables, but those are large solder points.
Instead of soldering on the board you could splice the wires together if you dont want to solder.

Yes, thanks. The USB connector itself is broken. I can see it. I don't know if it took anything else with it so I like the idea of replacing the board. I've been checking out the screw locations and it might be worth a shot.

Thanks for the links.
--
--
--
"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored." - Aldous Huxley

mromero
Premium
join:2000-12-07
The O.C.
kudos:1
reply to SparkChaser