d_l
Barsoom
Premium,MVM
join:2002-12-08
Reno, NV
kudos:7
reply to smbtamu

Re: Traffic Shaping for SharedBand Traffic

How exactly does the bonding work with regards to the AT&T system?

If you had a single line with AT&T, your DSL line connects to a DSLAM which then connects to a gateway (redback or BRAS). between the DSLAM and gateway, your data traffic consists of ATM cells and after the gateway it is TCP/IP packets.

So does the bonding simply aggregate/disaggregate the packet traffic across the four lines at Shareband routers which would be manipulating the data beyond ("above") the AT&T gateway or is there any way they could fragment the TCP/IP packets so that it would affect the ATM cells "below" the gateways?

If it is the former, I don't see how this could be a gateway problem. More likely it seems that it might be transmission delay problem over an internet backbone or the routers along the backbone after the packets leave your NOC and before they arrive at the Shareband routers.

For curiosity's sake, you might try the Wireshark test and post the results here. I'd expect the results to be incomprehensible due to the added complexity of the line bonding, but you never know what might show up.
--
TCE Weather -- Mt. Rose Cam

smbtamu

join:2009-08-11

1 edit

Thanks so much for your help guys. I really appreciate it.

If I had to guess, I'd say the statement about aggregating/disaggregating the packet traffic sounds right. I'm not exactly sure what technology they are using for the bonding. Maybe VPN?

I have the WAN port of my wireless LAN router connected to one of the sharedband router's LAN ports. The sharedband (Linksys WRT54GL) routers are all hooked together via ethernet on their LAN ports. Each WAN port on the sharedband routers are connected to a DSL modem.

The Linksys routers with custom Sharedband firmware work together to split up the traffic and send it out through the DSL modems and over the Internet to an aggregation server running SharedBand's software (right now in Atlanta). The aggregation server then combines the traffic and sends it on its way to the destination.

This process reverses itself for the return packets.

I will run a wireshark test later on tonight.

Does any of the above help?