how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

me1212

join:2008-11-20
Pleasant Hill, MO
reply to Goggalor

Re: The future of Gaming? PC or Console?

You need to buy a little transceiver for it, but yes you can. My brother has one, and I have personally used it even.

As far as using what your friends have, I can kinda understand that. I mean I play a lot less console because my friends and I play on pc together.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
join:2001-05-31
Greenwich, CT
kudos:1
reply to TheThing
Well.. I've had my console for almost 3 years now (PS3) and part of the reason why I got it was not having to wait almost a extra year for another GTA game for the PC and the fact I don't have to worry if the game is not going to play right or have issues.

I still love pc gaming but it's nice to be in bed and gaming.

Thaler
Premium
join:2004-02-02
Los Angeles, CA
kudos:3
reply to TheThing
Trendwise? I'd have to say console. While I think both markets have grown, console's growth rate seems to be the bigger of the two. I have no exact figure/source to back this up, but just an observation I've seen in my geographic/social area. Plus, PC game developers always seem to be bitching about their market like a stuck pig. Console developers...not so much - well, until they've developed the latest next-gen turd.

Personal preference? Console. When I buy one, it's good for X years of operation (omitting mechanical failure) and I don't have to worry about another player beating me due to a hardware difference. Cost of entry to the system is fixed and level. Plus getting into a console game is often faster than installing/establishing a PC version.

PC gaming could be vastly helped by standardizing the experience similarly to consoles. Give me a computer with a fixed price and a guarantee that I can run at least this year's games on "High" without a hitch. I could care less what the specific price is, but just blows ass to drop $X on a system, only to find out later that the game you want to play runs like dog shit, because it was optimized for a different video card manufacturer.

I AM
Premium
join:2010-04-11
Ephrata, PA
kudos:4
We got it all wrong. The future of gaming is in tablets and smartphones.

ekster
Hi there
Premium
join:2010-07-16
Lachine, QC
Reviews:
·FreePhoneLine
That's already here. The real future is in our brains. We'd just plug in and get and immerse ourselves into a virtual world directly.

Otherland is the perfect book series about it.

Archivis
Your Daddy
Premium
join:2001-11-26
Earth
kudos:19

1 recommendation

said by ekster:

Otherland is the perfect book series about it.

OH MY GOD IM NOT THE ONLY ONE WHO READ THAT SERIES I CAN FINALLY TALK TO SOMEONE ABOUT THE MASSIVE AMOUNT OF PAGES THAT I READ
--
A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have. -MLK

ekster
Hi there
Premium
Lachine, QC
Reviews:
·FreePhoneLine
It doesn't feel that massive as I'm currently reading the third book of the Three Musketeers series. 2000+ pages!! in one book.

But Otherland is awesomeness too. I love it when the story just keeps going on for that long and stays interesting the whole time.

Though I got to admit, I didn't finish reading the Otherland series yet. I will be getting back to it as soon as I'm done with the current book.

Archivis
Your Daddy
Premium
Earth
How far did you get into the Otherland series?

ekster
Hi there
Premium
Lachine, QC
Read the first two books.

And I will be tempted to re-read them as well, most probably.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit
kudos:12
reply to Archivis
I've been consumed by the Black Company series. Finished the first two books. Absolutely fantastic if you like dark fantasy/military fiction.
--
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Archivis
Your Daddy
Premium
Earth
reply to ekster
said by ekster:

Read the first two books.

And I will be tempted to re-read them as well, most probably.

That's exactly what happened to me. I read the first two books, put them down for a while and then picked it up and re-read the first two all over again and then finished the last two.

The series completes itself well, even when it seems like it drags on from the second to third book. Well, it didn't seem to drag on, but the plot slows down a little.
--
A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have. -MLK

ekster
Hi there
Premium
Lachine, QC
Reviews:
·FreePhoneLine
The plot was still fine at the end of the second book for me. I wanted to read on, but had to put it down because I went back to studying part-time and picked a french university... I needed to brush up my French as I almost never use it, especially when it comes to writing, so I switched to reading French books for a bit.

Archivis
Your Daddy
Premium
Earth
The third does well and the 4th book, even though it's 700-800 pages, reads like it's 100 pages. The 4th one is impossible to put down.
--

ekster
Hi there
Premium
Lachine, QC
Yeah, that's what my friend who recommended it to me told me as well. I just wish there were more books like that. I'm always having trouble finding more recent books that go beyond 250 pages that aren't completely obscure or indie.

Jobbie
Keep It Simple
Premium
join:2010-08-24
Mexico
kudos:5
reply to ekster
said by ekster:

It doesn't feel that massive as I'm currently reading the third book of the Three Musketeers series. 2000+ pages!! in one book.

My parents made me read those long time ago (10-12) to get me into the reading world, loved the series and felt badass finishing those huge books.
--
Judge a man by the trials of his shield, not the empty reaping of his sword.

I AM
Premium
Ephrata, PA
So are you guys saying the future is in the past?

ekster
Hi there
Premium
Lachine, QC
Reviews:
·FreePhoneLine
reply to Jobbie
It was actually the first books I ever read by myself, and probably my favourite books ever. They are also responsible for me getting into the reading world. I was 5-6 when I started reading it. And I've read them in 3 different languages so far.

Thaler
Premium
Los Angeles, CA
reply to TheThing
Kinda lost on all this. Just so long as someone's fan fiction doesn't start getting published here, I guess.

TheThing

join:2012-08-10

1 edit
Would have to agree with you there on the "standardized" product thingy.

that's very important to the consumer.

PC companies could help standardize it a bit, by providing something like on the back of the box with info.

PC1 specs listed:
Medium gameplay graphics

PC2 specs listed:
High gameplay graphics

PC3 spec listed:
Maximum gamplay graphics

or EVEN better.

there should be a standard where the video game states:

Will your system play this game?

goto www.guildwars2.com/checkmysystem.html

where you could give your system specs and it could tell you how playable the game would be on your system

at the same time, that weakness is also one of PCs greatest strenghts, and gives incredible flexibility in gaming that a console could never achieve

me1212

Pleasant Hill, MO
reply to Subaru
said by Subaru:

I still love pc gaming but it's nice to be in bed and gaming.

You can't game from bed with a pc? Then what was I doing earlier...

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
join:2001-05-31
Greenwich, CT
How do you use a mouse in bed? plus I hate wireless keyboards and mice.

Thaler
Premium
Los Angeles, CA
reply to TheThing
said by TheThing:

Kinda why I'm clinging onto hope for the Steam Game box...thing, what is it, Piston? Buy the thing, it's supposed to play games well for X months, and has set expansion capability to play future games. (ie. You buy Piston model 1, plays games well for a year, gets sluggish year 2, you slap on the newly released Piston model 2 on the bottom, keep chugging).

I could care less about the price initially. I just would like a simple, idiot-proof selection system to a rig that is guaranteed to perform (insert quality level here) well for (insert time duration here) months/years of PC games for (insert price amount here). Just frustrating to throw a few grand at a system, then find yourself crippled because the game you want to play was built around a different cpu/gpu/RAM/mouse/cheetos spec set.

Phantasee

join:2009-08-27
Hammond, LA
reply to TheThing
Until Forza and Gran Turismo come to PC, I'll always have both PC and console. The similar sim/racers on PC just don't have that spark.

demir
Premium
join:2010-07-15
usa
reply to TheThing
quote:
We got it all wrong. The future of gaming is in tablets and smartphones.
This. Emphasis on future.

me1212

Pleasant Hill, MO
reply to Subaru
360 controller and steam big picture mode.

Deschain

join:2012-12-13
Blighty
reply to TheThing
said by TheThing:

PC companies could help standardize it a bit, by providing something like on the back of the box with info.

PC1 specs listed:
Medium gameplay graphics

PC2 specs listed:
High gameplay graphics

PC3 spec listed:
Maximum gamplay graphics

or EVEN better.

there should be a standard where the video game states:

Will your system play this game?

goto www.guildwars2.com/checkmysystem.html

where you could give your system specs and it could tell you how playable the game would be on your system

at the same time, that weakness is also one of PCs greatest strenghts, and gives incredible flexibility in gaming that a console could never achieve

There's always:

www.systemrequirementslab.com

I AM
Premium
Ephrata, PA
The future. There is no future. Just zombies!!!!!!!!

TheThing

join:2012-08-10
the future is a rapidly changing global cold snap that makes global temperatures like 15 degrees colder... wiping out millions
i think they have researched that what killed the neanderthals was when the earth rapidly cycled cold... warm to very cold in 100 year timespan, couldn't adapt and died off

AI was a little bit hokey movie... but at the end they shift like 5000 years into the future, and NYC was under a glacier!

probably most realistic vision of the future! besides the robots of course!

Thaler
Premium
Los Angeles, CA
reply to Deschain
said by Deschain:

There's always:

www.systemrequirementslab.com

I've always found them to be only slightly more accurate than the back-of-the-box spec sheet. And those ones are total garbage.

(ie. That site can tell me that a game will run like butter, but then still runs herky-jerky)
Expand your moderator at work