how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

TheThing

join:2012-08-10
kudos:1
reply to Krisnatharok

Re: The future of Gaming? PC or Console?

that's over $600 bud

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit
kudos:12

And that's splurging on an OC'd 7850 2GB card.

Ghastlyone
Premium
join:2009-01-07
Las Vegas, NV
kudos:5

No OS.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit

said by Ghastlyone:

No OS.

Throw Linux and Steam on there, or drop the GPU to a 7770 and cut the HDD to 500 GB and add Win7.
--
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Ghastlyone
Premium
join:2009-01-07
Las Vegas, NV
kudos:5

said by Krisnatharok:

said by Ghastlyone:

No OS.

Throw Linux and Steam on there, or drop the GPU to a 7770 and cut the HDD to 500 GB and add Win7.

Well there you go.

Basically, for ~700.00 you can have a pretty rockin little system.

TheThing

reply to TheThing

with Kris direction in the last serveral months, I built my machine

then on my own I built my wife's machine... it was less than $400 with OS and it runs so fast

I'm itching to build another... for the living room... for netflix, hulu, skype, GW2, is there a way to pipe my office machine to the living room TV? or will the living room require a whole other machine?

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit
reply to Ghastlyone

I would call an i3-3210 / 8GB ram / 1TB HDD / Radeon 7850 2GB to definitely be a solid mid-grade gaming system.

It should be able to run anything on high details @ 1080p.
--
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

ekster
Hi there
Premium
join:2010-07-16
Lachine, QC
kudos:3
Reviews:
·FreePhoneLine
reply to TheThing

I've actually ended up building 2 PCs recently

One for the living room as an HTPC for about $600 that's a bit too powerful (I ended up playing Assassin's Creed and Mass Effect games on my big screen, was freaking awesome on 1080p. ) that's also completely silent and blends in so well that people need me to get up and point with a finger at it before they realize it's actually a PC. Everyone just thinks that it's a DVD player.

Then I was lucky enough to have my PC fail a few months later and built a nice little beast for about $900...

I wish something else would now break or I could find a reason for another PC as I really want to build another one, but no excuse to do it. Those things are too damn fun to do.

Archivis
Your Daddy
Premium
join:2001-11-26
Earth
kudos:19
reply to Ghastlyone

said by Ghastlyone:

No OS.

You pay for your OS?

TheThing

reply to ekster

i think the budget for the living room pc would be $600... which I would promptly tell the wife cost 300

ekster
Hi there
Premium
Lachine, QC
kudos:3
Reviews:
·FreePhoneLine

You can easily do less than $600 if it's just to watch movies. Mine is $600 and it plays Mass Effect 3 on full flawlessly with zero overheating and noise, plus I spent a bit extra for a case because my wife didn't want a computer in the living room, so I had to get something that would blend in well with the rest.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit

I have an i3-550 with no dedicated video card in my HTPC. It streams and plays DVDs/blu-rays just fine.

TheThing

reply to ekster

it would also be for GW2, LoL, PoE, Marvel Heroes

thinking small tower, black, to match TV and entertainment center

it's also going to have to be wireless, i have no ethernet there

ekster
Hi there
Premium
Lachine, QC