share rss forum feed

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit
kudos:12
reply to C0deZer0

Re: The future of Gaming? PC or Console?

said by C0deZer0:

Since you've yet to post a complete computer system that is game worthy for this $600 price tag, and you can't prove your points, I think I'm done here.

I've built a couple, and you can get an i3-3220, 8GB ram, Radeon 7770, and about a 500 GB HDD for that price.

Check out:
Our latest builder: »Need help building a desktop gaming computer (specifically here, CAN pricing, so US is $80-100 less)

Slightly more, but includes monitor and KB&M: »[Parts Check] Proposed student/light gaming build

This build is $850, but can max every game on ultra: »Re: Gaming build for teenager
--
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

me1212

join:2008-11-20
Pleasant Hill, MO

1 edit
reply to C0deZer0

TigerLord
UEE Citizen
Premium,Mod
join:2002-06-09
Canada
kudos:8
reply to C0deZer0

said by C0deZer0:

Since you've yet to post a complete computer system that is game worthy for this $600 price tag

Easy:
»pc.ncix.com/ncixpc_new/ncixpc.cf···-4822591

I think you lack the proper education to be able to judge PC gaming in its current state.

You are doing our users and our forums a huge disservice. I've built over 85 PC such as this one as well as other PC with smaller budgets and if you are to consider the utilty/price ratio PC are superior to consoles in every possible way.

The only con to PC gaming is the entry price is slightly higher because a PC is a multifonction system by design and there's no way to reduce costs by making it a "gaming only" machine which is essentially what a console is.

Mike
Premium,Mod
join:2000-09-17
Pittsburgh, PA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to TheThing

They'll both be around. Each has their own niche.

PC will obviously have more capabilities and once in a while developers will throw one or two bones to PC only.

Consoles will hold back and drag down games in general because of ports.
--
"If something about the human body disgusts you, complain to the manufacturer" - Lenny Bruce
What this country needs is a good five dollar plasma weapon.

El Quintron
Resident Mouth Breather
Premium
join:2008-04-28
Etobicoke, ON
kudos:4
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to TigerLord

said by TigerLord:

The only con to PC gaming is the entry price is slightly higher because a PC is a multifonction system by design and there's no way to reduce costs by making it a "gaming only" machine which is essentially what a console is.

Even the "lower priced console" argument is debatable because most consoles are subsidized or sold at a loss, with those costs recouped via licensing fees.

I don't *mind* my PS3 but the only reason I have it is because I started playing PC games after I bought it, if I had been playing PC games before this I would have never gotten a PS3 in the first place.
--
Support Bacteria -- It's the Only Culture Some People Have

I AM
Premium
join:2010-04-11
Ephrata, PA
reply to C0deZer0

It's funny though when a console first releases people line up then resale it on ebay for 1k+. I don't see the point in this, just go build a PC.

Like I said I'm playing Ps4 and Xbox 720 now while consolers wait.

El Quintron
Resident Mouth Breather
Premium
Etobicoke, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to TheThing

A good link on the topic:

»www.cnn.com/2012/11/09/tech/gami···dex.html

quote:
It will likely take at least one more console cycle to gauge the long-term sustainability of dedicated gaming devices, experts say. Their ultimate survival all depends on how well console makers adapt to evolving business models and changing consumer tastes.

--

Ghastlyone
Premium
join:2009-01-07
Las Vegas, NV
kudos:5

2 edits

Pretty good article. It makes some really good points. I thought the stats about the number of console owners who use their machines for everything else other then gaming was pretty amazing. My PS3 for years now is solely used for streaming Netfliz movies. That's it. My wife played some Red Dead Redemption briefly, and I played some Ratchet and Clank for a bit earlier this year. But that's it.

I read some of the comments afterwards in that article. Obviously all the console fanboys only read the first paragraph and then proceeded to spew non sense from there on out. LOL

El Quintron
Resident Mouth Breather
Premium
Etobicoke, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL

said by Ghastlyone:

Pretty good article. It makes some really good points. I thought the stats about the number of console owners who use their machines for everything else other then gaming was pretty amazing. My PS3 for years now is solely used for streaming Netfliz movies. That's it. My wife played some Red Dead Redemption briefly, and I played some Ratchet and Clank for a bit earlier this year. But that's it.

I was surprised to hear that number about the console too... but I'm looking back at my usage of it and it concurs with their assessment. My wife played some Guitar Hero, and we did Resistance 3 on co-op and that was it... two games in the whole year, but a lot of Netflix.

said by Ghastlyone:

I read some of the comments afterwards in that article. Obviously all the console fanboys only read the first paragraph and then proceeded to spew non sense from there on out. LOL

I read the comments after you mentioned it... pretty lame stuff
--

TheThing

join:2012-08-10
reply to TheThing

There is a difference between stupid and ignorant.

Ignorant isn't a duragatory word, it just means someone doesn't have all the information. NOt necessarily that they are non intelligent.

I think the main reason why consoles continue to exist is out of pure ignorance of how easy to use, how easy to build, how inexpensive, and how much PCs can do.

Build a $600 PC, hook it up to your HD TV, and you will never buy a console again.

Consoles will continue to exist indefinitely unfortunately, because the PC barrier will always remain.

The powers that be, can make a profit off of consoles, that's why consoles will never go away.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit

said by TheThing:

Ignorant isn't a duragatory word, it just means someone doesn't have all the information. NOt necessarily that they are non intelligent.

You mean derogatory?

I disagree anyways--a plug-and-play functionality will always attract more people than a DIY, more expensive desktop that might need troubleshooting, AV solutions, frequent patches to drivers and OS, etc. The immediate payoff is higher, even if there is less overall potential.

People aren't ignorant or stupid, they just don't have the time or the interest to build a computer. They might also be lazy, but then you start delving into stereotypes.
--
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

TheThing

said by Krisnatharok:

said by TheThing:

You mean derogatory?

Because memorization is a sign of intelligence right?

I AM
Premium
Ephrata, PA
reply to TheThing

The only thing PC gamers wish they had was the selection choices of console games.

TheThing

reply to TheThing

said by TheThing:

Consoles will continue to exist indefinitely unfortunately, because the PC barrier will always remain.

"a plug-and-play functionality will always attract more people than a DIY"

FYI not sure how we are in disagreement... re-read

the PC barrier is DIY

TheThing

reply to Krisnatharok

said by Krisnatharok:

said by TheThing:

People aren't ignorant or stupid,

And finally I wasn't calling anyone stupid, but smart people who don't look into how to DIY are still ignorant.

CodeZero isn't stupid, he is just ignorant to DIY PC

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit
reply to TheThing

So is the ability to spell correctly.

TheThing

spelling correctly is not a sign of intelligence bud

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit
reply to TheThing

said by TheThing:

said by TheThing:

"a plug-and-play functionality will always attract more people than a DIY"

FYI not sure how we are in disagreement... re-read

the PC barrier is DIY

The PC barrier is cost. You can buy pre-built systems if you want to...

I don't think we disagree at all, I was just jumping on duragotory. Just like I jump on people who call the country Columbia.
--

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit
reply to TheThing

said by TheThing:

spelling correctly is not a sign of intelligence bud

Cite your sources. Also, Reddit disagrees.

--

I AM
Premium
Ephrata, PA

This thread just got funner.

Jobbie
Keep It Simple
Premium
join:2010-08-24
Mexico

What is going on here?

I AM
Premium
Ephrata, PA

said by Jobbie:

What is going on here?

IDK. Off work today. I been gaming all day.

Jobbie
Keep It Simple
Premium
join:2010-08-24
Mexico

I am always late to the good threads man.

What are playing on PC or Console?
--
Judge a man by the trials of his shield, not the empty reaping of his sword.

TheThing

reply to TheThing

The "supposed" cost barrier is an illusion. Consoles are not cheaper when you total in everything.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit

said by TheThing:

The "supposed" cost barrier is an illusion. Consoles are not cheaper when you total in everything.

They do offer better performance for the money. No $250 computer can run The Witcher 2 at the same settings an Xbox 360 can, even if the xbox will never attain high FSAA/ubersampling/SSAO/etc.

So no, it's not an illusion.
--

me1212

Pleasant Hill, MO
reply to I AM

said by I AM:

The only thing PC gamers wish they had was the selection choices of console games.

The PC has a far larger selection of games than any console though.

me1212

Pleasant Hill, MO
reply to Krisnatharok

Thats what happens when MS can get better deals on hardware because of buying in bulk, and (at least at the start of the generation) sells hardware at a loss.

But why anyone would want to play the witcher2 at settings as low as the 360 does is beyond me.

El Quintron
Resident Mouth Breather
Premium
Etobicoke, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL

said by me1212:

But why anyone would want to play the witcher2 at settings as low as the 360 does is beyond me.

It beats not playing Witcher 2 at all
--

I AM
Premium
Ephrata, PA
reply to me1212

said by me1212:

said by I AM:

The PC has a far larger selection of games than any console though.

True. I should say we envy some of the franchises.

me1212

Pleasant Hill, MO

Now that I can agree with.

@El Quintron true, but I've heard from friends who played it on the 360, the 360 has a decent bit of bugs and just isn't as good as the pc version.